Phantom New Guard Staff?

As a matter of personal opinion, I thought the Bluecoats guard has been much better than PR the last 5 years or so. Bluecoats guard has shown much excitement, where as PR has been quite boring, MY opinion. I have also heard through friends of my brother, that PR scores have been inflated from the judges trying to save the corps from bankruptcy, even a few of the corps members have seen it. So I don't really put much stock in what 7 or 8 people in khakis and green shirts have to say these days. Especially after having recently met a director of another corps. I found out there was a very good corps a few years back, who took upon themselves to get scheduled at a couple of shows. DCI got upset with them, and instead of them making semi-finals like they should have, they ended up at the bottom of the pile, and soon after folded.

As for Adam individually, I don't know who does what, but as a whole, I haven't been impressed with PR guard staff since the early to mid 90's. Yes, they are better now than in the late 90's, but are still nowhere near the top 8 in my opinion. So for PR to have placed 3rd in 2006 is a total joke. I mean, actually sit down and watch the shows. They are not better than any of the top 7 corps from that year. But being DCI's little baby, and having financial problems, and BINGO-3rd place!!!

Wow - not sure I agree with any of this. Do I like Bluecoats guard - absolutely, do I think they're better than Phantom since Adam Sage showed up - no.

The technical aspects of Phantom's writing (just the variety of toss positions alone) combined with the demand placed on the members (the end of the opener this year where the guard is spinning in the horn block - watch what they are doing and how close they are to the horn players) and the sheer musicality of the book make Phantom one of the best guards out there right now.

Bluecoats certainly have all the elements - but watch their show on high cam - execution is killing them (it's been the same problem for the last 3 years), and although they certainly have some cool effects close up (handcuffs), most of these do not translate well when viewed from a football field.

As for the remaining argument that judges are colluding to keep a corps in the top 3 while bailing on another - I don't buy it. The whole "my friend knows a friend who talked to a hairdresser that knows a director" argument is never credible. I've been around this activity long enough to know that these conspiracy theories are just that - theories.

Now if you don't enjoy Phantom's guard - that's fine, but to insinuate that they're only scoring because of the judges inflating their scores - shows that you don't really understand how guards are judged and what gets rewarded.

Later,

Mike

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But being DCI's little baby, and having financial problems, and BINGO-3rd place!!!

Maybe you should take Phantom Regiment off your favorites list on your profile if you really feel this way.

Just curious, what is your guard experience that allows you to judge one guard's abilities over another? Your profile just lists you as a volunteer, but I get the feeling there's more to you than that.

Garry in Vegas

Maybe you should take Phantom Regiment off your favorites list on your profile if you really feel this way.

Just curious, what is your guard experience that allows you to judge one guard's abilities over another? Your profile just lists you as a volunteer, but I get the feeling there's more to you than that.

Garry in Vegas

This is one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard. Just because Phantom is one of my favorites, doesn't mean I agree with the judges on every placement. I have been around corps long enough to see what goes on in the judging ranks.

I did colorguard in high school band, but couldn't be active in corps, since it conflicted with my cheerleading and dance squad, where I was one of the choreographers. I love corps, but loved dance team just a little bit more. I still got to be around corps as I supported my brother through his years of corps with Phantom and Cavies. And I loved absolutely every minute of it, and do kind of wished I had marched.

But I love each corps that comes on the field to perform, and pay attention to everything, and judge from what I see on the field. Do I agree with the judges? Alot of the time yes, but I see some things that really make me wonder what is going on with them. Do I think Phantom has gotten some bonus points from the judges? The last 5 years or so I really do. Do I honestly think it has something to do with their financial affairs? Yes I do. I still have connections with some people involved with Phantom Regiment, and I get accurate information from them. Do you have to listen to what I say? No, you have the right to make up your own mind, just as I do.

This year, I think Phantom's placement at finals may have been accurate, as I think any of the 4th through 7th spots could have gone almost any direction. But as far as their colorguard placement, I would have had Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, Crown, and Coats ahead of them, but that was just my opinion. I thought all of those other guards had better presentation.

phantom's scores are boosted b/c everybody feels so ###### sorry for them..

cadet's had no chance of winning the championship b/c ppl hate their director and it was the blue devils 50th in California...

hogwash.

lord, if the judges really let into this "feeling sorry for corps based on their situations" CRAP then someone would finally get around to letting somebody else be 22nd instead of Pioneer!

whoa be unto thee...

Edited by chaos001

It's actually only Annie Pelka, Andria Foerch, Michael Gobiel, and KC Perkins. Not ALL the staff.

No worries. PR is well taken care of :)

what,what?it's only?!those are some very talented people there my freind! :guinesssmilie:

i'm sure the regiment will perservere.to everything turn,turn,turn.....

the bluecoats will definately benefit from the talent,sophistcation and expertise of rick subel and phantom will be bereft without one of the best techs in the business k.c. perkins[cadets,emerald marquis] reportedly she too will be on staff with the bluecoats.speaking of great techs,marlieta mathews-beckman[state street review,center grove] will remain on staff at the bluecoats for her 3rd season.

all transitions aside i'm sure it's going to be another great year for color guard fans!

Edited by dugg

I have also heard through friends of my brother, that PR scores have been inflated from the judges trying to save the corps from bankruptcy, even a few of the corps members have seen it.

What a load of farking crap.

Actually Melissa, a friend of the gardener of one of the people who tuned the engine on one of Regiment's trucks said that Scientologists have infiltrated PRs guard this year. Kirstie Alley is one of the new tech's and John Travolta will be in charge of dance.

Edited by LincolnV

Marlieta is great. I'm happy to see she is staying at Bluecoats.

. I have also heard through friends of my brother, that PR scores have been inflated from the judges trying to save the corps from bankruptcy, even a few of the corps members have seen it. So I don't really put much stock in what 7 or 8 people in khakis and green shirts have to say these days. But being DCI's little baby, and having financial problems, and BINGO-3rd place!!!

yea, you know how well scores pay the bills. somebody tell the kiwanis kavaliers, capital regiment, etc how they should have gone to judges' critique meetings with hands extended and a well placed empty bowl begging, "may we have some more???" :guinesssmilie:

BOLLOCKS!

Well, seeing as we can only speculate as to what the Corps music will be this summer, does anyone know what the Winterguard is performing? This will be the last time the guard staff is all together right? And where the hell are Robby Duke and Jenn Albertson?!?!

This is one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard.

This is pretty close to what I thought about your 'financial troubles = 3rd place' theory. I don't really take issue with your not preferring their color guard. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes. But that statement was ridiculous.