Phantom New Guard Staff?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling the reason people haven't been running to your defense Melissa is because of your approach. As other posters here have said, conspriacy theories are just that and to use these theories to justify your opinion of Regiment's guard, well, just doesn't speak well for you. If you're calling people out...then name names... Oh and as for your "play on words". That's just poor taste

You have the right to voice your opinion...as do I. Care to hear mine? I think this goes deeper than a dislike of the guard...

Am I close?

Thanks for your concern. I don't really need anyone to come running to my defense, I am not a helpless female. And I do care to hear your opinion. This is a forum, and if people don't discuss things, then it becomes boring. As far as something deeper than dislike of the guard, it isn't that I don't like the guard, I just wish they were as exciting as they have been in the past, particularly 89-96 when I thought they had a top 5 placing guard, some years even top 3-my opinion. I think they are good most years, but not amazing. I can't think of a year as of late, that I didn't think Cadets, BD, Cavies, Crown and Coats haven't put on a better performance guard wise. I enjoy SCV guard better, but realize they aren't always quite as clean.

Now if we were talking percussion, I thought Phantom probably had 2nd place this year above Bluecoats, but the judges felt otherwise. But this discussion was about guard, and my opinion, I think they have been overated the last 4 years.

As far as the play on words, it wasn't mine. And I think I mispelled it. I believe they spelled it Phooked. Maybe one of the members of PR hornline can clarify the word and its spelling? the next time I talk to my brother I will see if I can clear it up.

Thanks for your concern. I don't really need anyone to come running to my defense, I am not a helpless female. And I do care to hear your opinion. This is a forum, and if people don't discuss things, then it becomes boring. As far as something deeper than dislike of the guard, it isn't that I don't like the guard, I just wish they were as exciting as they have been in the past, particularly 89-96 when I thought they had a top 5 placing guard, some years even top 3-my opinion. I think they are good most years, but not amazing. I can't think of a year as of late, that I didn't think Cadets, BD, Cavies, Crown and Coats haven't put on a better performance guard wise. I enjoy SCV guard better, but realize they aren't always quite as clean.

Now if we were talking percussion, I thought Phantom probably had 2nd place this year above Bluecoats, but the judges felt otherwise. But this discussion was about guard, and my opinion, I think they have been overated the last 4 years.

As far as the play on words, it wasn't mine. And I think I mispelled it. I believe they spelled it Phooked. Maybe one of the members of PR hornline can clarify the word and its spelling? the next time I talk to my brother I will see if I can clear it up.

I'm not defending you Melissa. When you start talking gibberish about conspiract theories and "fixed" placings you just ruined any credibility you "might" have had. When you use that sort of stuff to rationalize your opinion...just kinda makes your opinion questionable. That's all

Have a nice summer.

Thank you Sutasaurus!!! You said it with tact and the truth. I don't believe accusations of under-handed instructors, boards of directors and corrupt judges should be so easily thrown out in this forum without "those facts" checked. BTW...I like how you mentioned the colorful language too.

Guys....

So what if she doesn't like your corps' guard?

Thats her opinion.

No need to jump on her about it.

Same reason I don't burn the people at the stake who criticize the hornline I'm in. They can think what they want, all that matters is that you know that your guard is great.

come on now, how many people do you honestly see insult the mighty Phantom Regiment each day? Very few, if any.

So why does 1 person who doesn't happen to like your guard have to ruin your day?

*edited for spelling

Edited by gjdavistuba

Bluecoats last great guard in my eyes was definitely 2004. Their all rifle feature was great. Sadly since then they have lacked progress like the rest of the corps, I expect that to turn around sometime soon. I always tell people not to get too hyped about the corps overall score because consistently the guard score stalls out a couple weeks before finals. This has to change for them to do better, but we all knew that.

Phantoms guard on the other hand has been improving but overshadowed (imo) by Crown BD and Cadets..... The addition of men has been such a boost for them, I can't wait to see what happens this season.

Adam Sage is an incredible instructor/designer...I'm not happy that the guard is coed now...but regardless of how uncomfortable a change may feel...if it is for the better then I think you should run with it...and the guard has been getting recognition.

In regards to the colorguard not being strong for the past 10 years...in the early 2000s...dont forget about the great work that Jenifo did with the Regiment women...she put out some great colorguard books.

In regards to the colorguard not being strong for the past 10 years...in the early 2000s...dont forget about the great work that Jenifo did with the Regiment women...she put out some great colorguard books.

I marched with Jennifer Leseth. She is an incredible person. I've even had the opportunity to judge some of her indoor guards several years ago. At every level she teaches, she achieves the goals and then some. She is a woman of integrity and great talent!!

I marched with Jennifer Leseth. She is an incredible person. I've even had the opportunity to judge some of her indoor guards several years ago. At every level she teaches, she achieves the goals and then some. She is a woman of integrity and great talent!!

Thus the jump in Crown's guard from 8th in 2006 to 2nd in 2007.

Jenifo is awesome :thumbup:

Guys....

So what if she doesn't like your corps' guard?

Thats her opinion.

No need to jump on her about it.

Same reason I don't burn the people at the stake who criticize the hornline I'm in. They can think what they want, all that matters is that you know that your guard is great.

come on now, how many people do you honestly see insult the mighty Phantom Regiment each day? Very few, if any.

So why does 1 person who doesn't happen to like your guard have to ruin your day?

*edited for spelling

Howdy gjdavistuba...

It's not Melissa's disappointment in Regiment's guard that's up for debate here it's her rationalization that's being called into question. Didn't ruin my day...BTW how does one ruin a Monday??? :thumbup::shutup::smile: