Suncoast Sound, "The Lick"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh... "The Lick". One of the best DCI moments, IMO.

:guinesssmilie:

This show was just about the only reason why I bought the '85 Finals DVD. Now if we could only get this show into the Classic Countdown

Edited by skajerk

Not to seem ignorant, (1985 is a little early in my lifetime), but I am interested in knowing more about this "lick."

A few things to say about this show:

That closer is one Incredible performance.

Great brass line, who lead it there that year?

I only wish 1985 had drill execution and writing at a minimum of at least 10 years ahead of its time. Wishful thinking...

All original music that year? I'm not making that up am I?

AWESOME program to listen to.

All original music that year? I'm not making that up am I?

Yes. The first time an entire show was written specifically for a corps.

Not to seem ignorant, (1985 is a little early in my lifetime), but I am interested in knowing more about this "lick."
I don't know how to describe it. It's one of those "you'd have to hear it to understand it" things. Happened towards the end of the closer, "Midnight In Miami". After a sweet little trade off between bari soloist, pit, bari solist, bass drum line, bari solist, the hornline bursts back in full with the theme and then stops moving and throws down what is simply now known as "The Lick". Edited by skajerk

You can hear it at Suncoastsound.org under multimedia. i forgot about it. All you can say is....wow

Will have to listen to it now, I have the recording but along with 100 other corps I haven't gotten around to listening to it.

You can hear it at Suncoastsound.org under multimedia. i forgot about it. All you can say is....wow
I knew they had it somewhere. Beat me to it. Here's the link to the Suncoast Media Page. Plenty of other great things to listen to in there. Especially "Satisfaction/America The Beautiful" from the '84 Vietnam show. Edited by skajerk

The second time Suncoast played Florida suite in 1989, it changed the face of colorguard forever! It was a solid tri-ad in guard terms and raised the bar. (2 cents)

Would it be wrong for another drum corps today to bring back that score???????