Suncoast Sound, "The Lick"

Heh... I've been waiting for you to show up, Marwan. :guinesssmilie:

Thanks for the explanation of the '89 show. Still a great arrangement, though.

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have to say is Midnight In Miami. Wow. I mean, the Lick's not perfect, but ####, it's close. That closer has to be up there with the all-time greats. And the bass soli is bad***.

Edited by TSRTS13

All I have to say is Midnight In Miami. Wow. I mean, the Lick's not perfect, but ####, it's close. That closer has to be up there with the all-time greats. And the bass soli is bad***.

Yep....Suncoast had one of the greatest brass lines through the 80s.

Highly technical and even exposed bass runs may be commonplace now....but not in 1985!! The delay in crowd response was because it took people a few seconds to realize it was coming from the battery and NOT the pit!

Frmo what I;ve been told, the lick was not written into the show in 1989 because Smith wanted a more upbeat ending to the show. Can anyone else shed light on this?

Not to bad mouth, but I am not sure the 89 hornline could have handled the lick. The kids in 89 were amazing though, one of the most improved shows ever in DCI History!!!

No. "The Lick" was after the solo exchanges, the chord blast and the re-entry of the show's theme just before the sop duet:

bari solo (about the half-way point of the song)

pit percussion solo

bari solo

bass line soli

bari solo

full hornline chord

percussion "cha-cha" section

re-entry of the Simple Song at Sunrise theme

"The Lick"

sop duet

ending

By the way. If you go to Google's video page and search for Suncoast Sound you'll find a happy place. :guinesssmilie:

Does anyone know why "The Lick" was not played in the '89 arrangement? While still a great show I still prefer the '85 arrangement.

By the way by the way... as a long-time Suncoast fan and being that A Florida Suite is my all-time favorite show in drum corps, thanks for starting this thread Jason!

Frmo what I;ve been told, the lick was not written into the show in 1989 because Smith wanted a more upbeat ending to the show. Can anyone else shed light on this?

Not to bad mouth, but I am not sure the 89 hornline could have handled the lick. The kids in 89 were amazing though, one of the most improved shows ever in DCI History!!!

From Marwan's (Suncoast Sound, 1987-89) post above...

Randy, we actually attempted to put The Lick in in the 89 show, mid tour. I can't even explain the excitement when we walked into some bandroom on tour to see the lick written on the board. We spent a good chunk of that rehearsal learning it, very slowly at first and speeding up time and again. However, when we got to the field for ensemble, it just didn't work. Don't know if it was the staging or what, but we only tried it like twice before Robert put the kaibash on it. Needless to say, we were disappointed.

No offense taken at all. That is pretty much what happened. I have a feeling that Robert was against the idea from the start while others wanted to put it in, and that may be why he only gave us a couple shots at it on the field. But you are right, the 89 hornline just wasn't near the lines of 83-86 in talent. What we did that year with smoke, mirrors, duct tape and ball bearings still amazes me to this day.

Marwan - I remember standing next to you guys at retreat at finals and how you guys hyped us as we played E.T. Suncaost was always one of my favorite corps, which is why it didn't bother me one bit getting beat by ya'll at Nats. I loved the 88 and 89 shows, but most of all, it was an honor sharing the field of battle with a corps of such as Suncoast.

Take it to the beach Suncoast!

Funny, I alway thought "The Lick" in that 85 show was the bass feature.

I guess that's more of a run than a lick, though.

Let's see how many more times I can put "lick" in this post about the lick. Lick, lick lick.

Man, that was a sweet show, musically. Visually, not so much, but the score was absolutely primo.

One of my favorite shows of 1985 - Star toured with them most of the summer. I never got tired of Suncoast.