SCV 99

The two that come to mind are...

85 Blue Devils - First Circle. I believe it is written in alternating 12/8 and 10/8 bars. I never saw the show (listened to it MANY times) so I'm not sure how they marched it.

93 Blue Knights - Little Green Men. It was written in alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/16, IIRC. We marched the 8th notes, in more of a 5/16 + 5/16 + 7/16 feel. We alternated between marching the odd meter, and marching straight 8th notes. Then again, we marched that piece so fast, it probably wasn't clean enough to figure out which meter we were marching. :)

And I wouldn't consider these "truly bizarre time signatures", but...

90 Blue Knights - most of Chichester Psalms was written in 7/8, but I think we marched straight quarter notes throughout. Portions of the Mass were written in 9/8, and we marched parts in 9/8 and parts in straight quarters. I think when Cadets played the Mass they also marched it both ways throughout the show.

85 Cadets, Jerimah Symphony...whatever meters that was in!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 BD Blue Rondo al la Turk is a combination of 9/8 and 11/8.

And I wouldn't consider these "truly bizarre time signatures", but...

90 Blue Knights - most of Chichester Psalms was written in 7/8, but I think we marched straight quarter notes throughout. Portions of the Mass were written in 9/8, and we marched parts in 9/8 and parts in straight quarters. I think when Cadets played the Mass they also marched it both ways throughout the show.

Part of the drum line book that year was marching to the opposite 7/8 pattern than what we were playing in, as well as the drum solo being in 5/8-2/4.... many hours over the winter getting used to Ralph's parts and Zingali's sets.

I've always wondered if there's been a corps that has marched truly bizarre time signatures before

Way back in 1970, the fledgling Colts marched a Don Ellis tune in 7/8 (2-2-3). One CSJA judge (off the record) remarked that the footwork looked like "a dog lifting his hind leg".

That song is the reason the Cadets step off right-footed.

really? That's a pretty cool trivia fact, if you're being serious.

~>conner

3 bars of 10/8 followed by a bar of 12/8. SCV did 3 bars of 5/4 followed by a bar of 6/4. Essentially the same thing.

To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Crossmen 2002

Heat of the Day was in 12/8

Strawberry Soup in 9/4

I have noticed that the way the SCV opener is written is kind of unusual, with it sounding like 3 bars of 5/4, followed by a bar of 6/4... Can anyone tell me if this is actually the way this piece is written?

As far as '99 SCV, you nailed it (I just asked Michael Hayes online, DM that year). As far as the actual piece, dunno.