Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

Let me add one point here, too.

I am not accusing anyone of devious tricks here. I don't know any of these gentlemen, so I would never claim to have knowledge of their motives. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to do they feel is best for the activity/organization. Others may not feel that way, but for me at least, I'm trying to present what I believe to be the flaws and dangers in this proposal based on my experiences of seeing these types of things in the past, which many times failed despite the best of intentions. I am also offering an alternative solution that I think will work better given that all these people who do share the best of intentions for the activity necessarily have different persepetives on what that means. I also welcome critical analysis of what I say in a similar fashion and will try to respond in kind.

That's all -- and I know no one accused me otherwise -- just trying to keep this discussion on a "business" and not "personal" level :wall:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is the constant reference to "the rich want the new toys" is just not valid.

I believe it is. The rich is not just financially rich, but with access to resources. Companies want to sponsor the highest placing corps and will be more likely to find solutions to get the toys to those corps. The proposed system would encourage that to happen more.

Yes, understand that I prefer having all members vote. I am posting under the premise of "needing" to reduce the board to 9, what I think would be better.

I don't disagree. I think the proposal spells out much of what I have been saying for years are the inadequecies of the current process. That's great!!!! But I strongly disagree with the proposed solution.

I do see the rationale for wanting to reduce the size of the board to 9, although there are other alternatives that would keep the board the same and improve the process. But reducing the size alone will not solve the problems magically. They also have to address the fundamental issues regarding the charter and perview of the board, imo (which it looks like they are aware of). But in order to do that, I believe that the Top 9 idea is bad -- your idea of voting members in is better -- but a staggered/rotational system is best.

I don't see snide and sarcastic comments in this thread, but sadly this is one. You disagree....fine. But it doesn't warrant a comment like that just because you happen to hold a different view.

OK, sorry for the snyde remark, but I got very irritated when he asked for reasons for a point, then says you can't use your reasons for the point, it's rather ludicrous...somewhat snide even.

I believe it is. The rich is not just financially rich, but with access to resources. Companies want to sponsor the highest placing corps and will be more likely to find solutions to get the toys to those corps. The proposed system would encourage that to happen more.

Yes, I believe that even with the best of intentions, this proposed setup has the danger of going down this path more than alternative suggestions. Doesn't mean it will necessarily happen. Doesn't mean that I think that is their intention (or "evil plan" or whatever :ph34r: ). But I do predict that this will be the result -- more for the top guys, less for those who can't keep up.

And it's not just about the "toys" -- this isn't just an argument for or against amps or electronics or whatever, imo. I ultimately don't care about any of that stuff. It is a more fundamental division of all the spoils (financial, competitive, strategic, etc) that concerns me. The "toys" are merely a symptom.

Controversial proposals are most often put out there by those in the upper echelon. Amps and electronics with Hop, Bb with Gibbs...and so on. That said, the ones who usually vote for these changes are (you guessed it) the bigger programs, with Phantom being an exception occasionally...so now, with a smaller board of those very same "big boys"...you accelerate the pace of change. It's probably exactly what Hop wants to try to change things faster.

So...if, by "efficiency", you mean that the pacing of changing DCI into "superbands" will increase...then, yeah, perhaps it will be more efficient. :huh2:

There it is in a nutshell, not for nothing but kind of thought this was inevitable as far back as the mid 80's, just never knew when. How does it make sense to say that a Corps can place in DCI's championship "finals" and not have a say in the direction of the activity? I love the part about streamlining the administrative process, by not having those extra people around for those 4 meetings a year think how much will be saved in box lunches alone!! Get ready, the guy who is a self-proclaimed non-fan of Drum Corps will be proud to present "Summer Bands of America" :ph34r: coming to a region somewhat near you, as soon as he can get a few more of those pesky "rules" out of the way.

And I did answer. There was one.

But... look at the list of inactive corps. There is NO difference in placing in the top 9 and folding the next year then there is in placing in the top 9, falling out of the top 9 (or finals) the next year and then folding a few years later. None. Point being, those corps never made it back in. Period.

Actually there were two. You should move suncoast up to the top list. 1989 9th - 1990 innactive. they reformed in the mid 90's as a div II corps for a couple years but they folded after placing 9th in 1989.

Well looking back over the past 8 years, here is what the 9 member board would look like following each season.

Blue Devils

The Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Boston Crusaders

Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

The Cadets

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Knights

Carolina Crown

Madison Scouts

The Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

Madison Scouts

Carolina Crown

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Cavaliers

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

The Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Bluecoats

Carolina Crown

Madison Scouts

Boston Crusaders

Blue Devils

Cavaliers

The Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Bluecoats

Madison Scouts

Crossmen

Cavaliers

Blue Devils

The Cadets

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Bluecoats

Glassmen

Crossmen

Cavaliers

Blue Devils

The Cadets

Santa Clara Vanguard

Glassmen

Phantom Regiment

Crossmen

Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

Cavaliers

The Cadets

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Blue Knights

Phantom Regiment

Glassmen

Crossmen

Boy, I could really help Hoppy with his PowerPoint skills.

No more than 6 bullets on a page....30 pt font minimal

Bad bullets...bad bullets

Headings blatting into the text

Again...the MESSAGE IS DEFINED IN THE MEDIUM in which it is presented.

I was shocked at the presentation, but I wanted to be nice. That's the worse PPT I've seen in a decade! I'm not sure how his message is going to come across through such a bad presentation. I guess it will, and I'm not liking where this could lead for DCI, but it's their show.

I was shocked at the presentation, but I wanted to be nice. That's the worse PPT I've seen in a decade! I'm not sure how his message is going to come across through such a bad presentation. I guess it will, and I'm not liking where this could lead for DCI, but it's their show.

But Hoppy will be preaching to the choir for the most part. Did you see where he says that the "top 8" have been meeting several times, and that this is their brainstorm?