Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

It sounds to me as if reducing the board to nine wouldn't change any outcomes, it would merely make the process more efficient.

More efficient? How? Okay...it does take a little less time to count nine votes as it does 17. But aren't we splitting hairs here?

And unless you know for a fact, and you don't, that outcomes wouldn't change, don't assume that they won't.

Why can't a board that includes SCV and Crusaders but not Cascades or Spirit make the right decisions for drum corps?

Why can't a board of all member corps make the decisions that pertain to all? Why exclude anyone? Why create an exclusionary process thus giving ammuniton to conspiracy theories and the like?

Is the old system broken? Like my grandpa always used to say..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Although there are parts of the DCI structure that might need some tweaking, this move certainly isn't one of them.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering, if this does pass, what would be the backlash? Would there be any?

Could the rest of the corps decide to field their own circuit?

If fans are really that upset, would they sit out the season and not give DCI any of the $$$? I would think turning the cashflow off as some sort of protest would really make them think long and hard about what was taking place. But I doubt organizing a boycott that massive could be accomplished.

I've been trying to think what recourse this could have if it does pass, and there is a possibility that there may not be any negative impact.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Come on. I'm stupid maybe, but not snide. Here's where I joined this part of the discussion:

I'll admit to being provocative here and subsequently when I pushed you and others to come up with another "toy" to prove the "more and more" that's so prevalent in discussion along these lines. But I don't think I was even "somewhat snide." I'd like to think if I were going to be snide, I'd have been very obviously and clearly snide – an approach I'm going to reserve for possible future posts!

HH

Ah, good. Something to look forward too!

j/k :ph34r:

I've been wondering, if this does pass, what would be the backlash? Would there be any?

If fans are really that upset, would they sit out the season and not give DCI any of the $$$? I would think turning the cashflow off as some sort of protest would really make them think long and hard about what was taking place. But I doubt organizing a boycott that massive could be accomplished.

I've been trying to think what recourse this could have if it does pass, and there is a possibility that there may not be any negative impact.

I've been wondering the same thing.

If electronics pass this year, I'm out, and have had it. This may be my last finals to go to, if we decide to go. I may be so livid that I don't go.

I don't know if DCI cares about their fans enough to care if a few walk away. But maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I would HOPE those who get left behind break away and start another circuit, it seems to be coming full circle anyway. A few on this board seem to want take away everything that the original board of DCI worked so hard to accomplish.

Personally, I think they are going after the BOA crowd, why else would they move to Indy? And start developing their "less is more" elitist attitude?

They probably "think" that the BOA crowd will bring them the money since most directors, instructors etc all have some affiliation with a BOA band and this would bridge it for them as well. They are probably thinking of it in terms of "Money" instead of "loyalty" at this point. At least that's just MY personal opinion and how it appears to me. They probably "think" that this group of BOA folks will make them enough money to cover whatever legacy fans leave.

I hope to prove them wrong and that when they find out, really find out how much their loyal fans spend, they will miss that revenue.

Time will tell.

Edited by Lancerlady

They probably "think" that the BOA crowd will bring them the money since most directors, instructors etc all have some affiliation with a BOA band and this would bridge it for them as well. They are probably thinking of it in terms of "Money" instead of "loyalty" at this point. At least that's just MY personal opinion and how it appears to me. They probably "think" that this group of BOA folks will make them enough money to cover whatever legacy fans leave.

non-profit rule #1: survive.

you need money to survive. the market for "BOA" style marching band is exponentially larger than "drum and bugle corps." larger market = more upside = more money.

loyalty is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills, considering the number of "legacy" (as you say) fans compared to the potential number of "contemporary" fans. one market is growing, while one market is stagnating or shrinking, depending on who you ask.

there are the societal changes in the participants, too. based on my experience, the 17 year old kid doesn't get the least bit excited about drum corps that occurred prior to 1995 or so. again -- based on my observations only -- kids in bands want to participate in much better bands, not groups that are doing things that do not at all resemble what they are doing in the fall.

Good questions -- hard to say for sure.

Yes, it's possible that there may not be any negative impact. I doubt it and it is risky to wait and see, but my bet would be that some negative impact will happen even if it doesn't pass because of the message sent. If it does pass, I believe there is a high degree of negative impact for the non-Top 9 corps.

Could the other corps form their own circuit? Doubtful, because it would be hard to organize form scratch without the power corps to draw an audience -- but if there were an existing circuit that already had a fan base that maybe wanted to ease into the junior world .... hint, hint :ph34r:

A total boycott would be tough because most fans who go to shows have no idea this is going on, would have no idea if it passed or not, and probably don't care either way anyway. It's just us idiots on DCP that get in a lather over stuff like this :huh2:

Tell you one thing, though -- if this passes, I will never again buy a souvenir from a Top 9 corps -- the lower guys are going to need all the help they can get, imo ....

Edited by Liam

Is the old system broken? Like my grandpa always used to say..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

While it might seem to some that I'm the spokesperson for this proposal, I'm not. In fact, I'm not even sure I support it. I just decided this discussion needs balance, so I've been arguing the contrary point of view - a point of view I seem to take up frequently here.

But to answer the question, Acheson, Fielder, Hopkins and others now on the board seem to think the system is broken. The proposal indicates they and some group worked together to come up with these proposed changes. Among their complaints are poor participation by many board members, relegating the bulk of the work (and presumably the decisions) on a core group that actually replicates closely the top nine.

The improved efficiency they expect derives in part from cutting what's already extraneous (those who don't participate) from the process as well as any improved communication and function inherent in the smaller group, among other things.

HH

While it might seem to some that I'm the spokesperson for this proposal, I'm not. In fact, I'm not even sure I support it. I just decided this discussion needs balance, so I've been arguing the contrary point of view - a point of view I seem to take up frequently here.

But to answer the question, Acheson, Fielder, Hopkins and others now on the board seem to think the system is broken. The proposal indicates they and some group worked together to come up with these proposed changes. Among their complaints are poor participation by many board members, relegating the bulk of the work (and presumably the decisions) on a core group that actually replicates closely the top nine.

The improved efficiency they expect derives in part from cutting what's already extraneous (those who don't participate) from the process as well as any improved communication and function inherent in the smaller group, among other things.

HH

And I think most people would say that the proposal is generally good, or at least seems more efficient. Hell, do what works best...

...except the part about silencing corps votes by their competitive placement.

This stuff is amazing. I haven't read anything but firs/last, but this sounds to make for a really great class action lawsuit. "Gee, let's be members of a group that works, supposedly, for the whole but we're not given a vote unless we're in the top 9 and the top 9 get to have their way with everyone outside of the top 9."

9 seems to be rather arbitrary, doesn't it? Top 12. Top 17. Top 25. Top 9?? Even Open Class is Top 10, no?

9??

I mean...9??

Even Vanguard is doing 3!

But 9??