Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

Yeah, I agree that the current board process in its entirety needs some revamping. I agree with many of the stated goals and acknowledgements of the proposal. I just strongly disagree with the proposed solution.

And thanks for being a contrarian -- all issues need to discussed and criticized (fairly) and flushed out to make sure that the solutions proposed hold water. :ph34r:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the rest of the corps decide to field their own circuit?

Well they could if you assume the top nine have an agenda to ruin the rest of the activity. I, for one, don't share that view. I even am stupidly optimistic enough to think the top nine have in their self interest to preserve the viability and competitiveness of lower-placing corps. I'm quite comfortable in the belief that none of the top nine directors are nihilistic meglomaniacs out to control the world or even DCI.

HH

Well they could if you assume the top nine have an agenda to ruin the rest of the activity. I, for one, don't share that view. I even am stupidly optimistic enough to think the top nine have in their self interest to preserve the viability and competitiveness of lower-placing corps. I'm quite comfortable in the belief that none of the top nine directors are nihilistic meglomaniacs out to control the world or even DCI.

HH

No, I don't believe that either. Or at the very least, I don't have any evidence to believe that, so I choose not to.

In any event, I still believe that even with the best of intentions, there is simply no way that the Top 9 directors can suitably speak for the others who have different perspectives, different goals, different challenges, diffrent approaches, etc. This notion is, imo, at best misguided and naive and at worst arrogant and condescending.

This stuff is amazing. I haven't read anything but firs/last, but this sounds to make for a really great class action lawsuit. "Gee, let's be members of a group that works, supposedly, for the whole but we're not given a vote unless we're in the top 9 and the top 9 get to have their way with everyone outside of the top 9."

9 seems to be rather arbitrary, doesn't it? Top 12. Top 17. Top 25. Top 9?? Even Open Class is Top 10, no?

9??

I mean...9??

Even Vanguard is doing 3!

But 9??

Well, with free association and all -- they're free to go elsewhere if they don't like the rules of the organization that they freely associate with. Not sure there's any legal action unless this goes strictly against the charter of the org in some way.

And speaking of associations with Associates .... :ph34r::huh2:

Tell you one thing, though -- if this passes, I will never again buy a souvenir from a Top 9 corps -- the lower guys are going to need all the help they can get, imo ....

You don't mean that. Colts move up a spot and you boycott them?

Heck, for all we know, the top nine are the most selfless, beneficent board DCI has ever seen. Why prejudge them? Maybe seven or eight of them have an agenda to revitalize Open Class that previously has been scuttled by lower-placing corps fearful of the competition for talent. Maybe the smaller group could marshal the votes to repeal amplification where the bigger group was mired in politics and sloth. Maybe Bluecoats will have another great t-shirt we just can’t resist!

HH

HH

Bear in mind that several in that top 9 have been expecting DCI to be less than 10 super bands.

Well, with free association and all -- they're free to go elsewhere if they don't like the rules of the organization that they freely associate with. Not sure there's any legal action unless this goes strictly against the charter of the org in some way.

there's definitely no legal issue here.