Allentown

Just saw on dci.org that Eastern Classic tickets are now available. It got me thinking... and I know we have discussed this in the past, but someone remind me, how long will DCI continue to have a major event in Allentown? Are there plans for moving elsewhere? Any ideas where? I'm somewhat out of the loop lately, so forgive me if this discussion is redundant.

Thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Allentown will be going anywhere, but i can sort of understand if it were to move, look at all the other majors, there all held in much bigger venues then allentown

Why would they move it?

There was talk of moving DCI East in the past few years because of issues with the stadium, specifically the upper deck.

Wasn't the Eastern Classic at the University of Pennsylvania while J Birney Crum was being renovated? As much as I love the field and recognize the time honored tradition of DCI East in Allentown, I think a new location should be considered since the top rows of seats are permanently condemned.

will the upper deck finally be open again this coming summer? anyone know?

Wasn't the Eastern Classic at the University of Pennsylvania while J Birney Crum was being renovated?

Yes, it was..... in 2001 and 2002, then it moved back to Allentown when the stadium was ready.

I agree that Allentown's stadium is not as big or as modern as some others on the DCI schedule, but it's such a classic drum corps venue that it is a sentimental favorite, IMO.

Of course, there are instances when sentiment and a couple of bucks will get you a ride on the subway, and nothing more. :wall:

Fran

I like Allentown as well... I just seem to remember a few years ago, hearing that DCI was only planning on holding the show in Allentown for another two or three years. Maybe I'm losing it, but I thought I read that somewhere awhile ago.

While having DCI in Philly would be REALLY cool, it seems like it would hike up the price and for sure, the atmosphere would be different.

Quite honestly, I think Allentown is a great Location because of how (relatively) close it is to New England. If I was DCI, the only place I would move the eastern classic would be either more to the north or more to the middle of the state. I am thinking of accessabiltiy here.

That being said, I have to admit that there is somethisng "homey" about Allentown that I enjoy. Its more like I am participating as an audiance member because of the change of enviornment for me.

BTW... I ordered tickets a while ago and cant wait for them to get here!!!!!