RIP, drum corps I knew

How would the judges know what condition anyone's horns are in? Inspection went away at DCI's inception.

Point is, the promise that Pioneer would remain "last in brass" was made without consideration to the condition of their horns, or the quality of their performances - past, present or future. That promise was made based only on one factor - use of G bugles.

Crappy horns usually equals poor performance. I would not think a judge would need to see the horns. They could hear it in the sound.

Not only that, how many brass judges made this promise? Since we don't know this, you can't blanket statement the whole of the judging community. I think many would agree that G or not, Pioneer deserved their brass placement, even though they were improved over past seasons.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, how many brass judges made this promise? Since we don't know this, you can't blanket statement the whole of the judging community.

I'm not. He did use the plural form, though, as I am.

I think many would agree that G or not, Pioneer deserved their brass placement, even though they were improved over past seasons.

Pioneer's 2007 brass placement is not my issue. The promise of future brass placements is what I find objectionable.

Crappy horns usually equals poor performance. I would not think a judge would need to see the horns. They could hear it in the sound.

Not only that, how many brass judges made this promise? Since we don't know this, you can't blanket statement the whole of the judging community. I think many would agree that G or not, Pioneer deserved their brass placement, even though they were improved over past seasons.

I think a field brass judge just might see horns like what I bolded.

The old bugles were beat up badly and of various manufacturers. Many of them had problems and we couldnt get parts on tour. Some brass repair people began saying that werent going to work on them anymore because of they were in the poorest condition you could possibly imagine. If we lost a slide or valve part on tour, we went days with those particular students not being able to play in shows. That is the kind of thing that we faced last summer as the only G brass line on the Div. 1 tour. Even the mobile brass shop people didnt have any parts for these dinosaurs. What do you say to the kids that had to deal with this scenario? Sorry you cant play for a few days, because the horns we have, nobody wants to work on them anymore? I had to deal with this more than once on tour. Duct tape and various rigging devices were used to get these kids' instruments to at least be playable for a few hours. We had to order parts and then usually there were none to fit these monsters, and if there were, it took weeks to come. Paul Collins actually took a slide from a different manufacturer and heated and bent it to fit a horn because I was pleading with him for a few days. This was a very strong player that couldn't participate with the equipment available to him. Of course the horn was way out of tune on certain notes, but at least the kid got to play with certain valve combinations. He finished the seasoon on that horn unfortunately. No parts ever showed up from anywhere. LOL

I think a field brass judge just might see horns like what I bolded.

Duct tape is the same color as chrome. Besides, if I were a field brass judge, my primary focus would be on listening to the brass and avoiding collisions with performers in the process.

Are you suggesting that brass judges would judge a corps based on the appearance of their horns, rather than their sound?

Edited by audiodb

That is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Point being, regardless of what is actually going on, it will be convenient for some of you here to blame the low scores of your favorite performing corps on not conforming.

I only do that when the judges say so.

Oh my friends keep your eyes on the ball !

What is the next logical addition to all this ??

Woodwind voices, of course !!

Now that instruments can be miked, watch for the addition of woodwind voices to be added. Now this can be done without adding more bodies . 5 or 6 multi-reed players that can be miked would be able to add new colors and voices to arrangements. Most talented woodwind players can play all the woodwinds.

No doubt in my mind tha this will be the next creative addition .

Duct tape is the same color as chrome. Besides, if I were a field brass judge, my primary focus would be on listening to the brass and avoiding collisions with performers in the process.

Are you suggesting that brass judges would judge a corps based on the appearance of their horns, rather than their sound?

No, you asked how a judge would know the condition of the horns, and I answered. I said nothing about the judging of the hornline.

Donny went to great lengths to describe a terrible set of horns, no matter what the key. You don't think the things he said had an impact on the sound?

Oh my friends keep your eyes on the ball !

What is the next logical addition to all this ??

Woodwind voices, of course !!

Now that instruments can be miked, watch for the addition of woodwind voices to be added. Now this can be done without adding more bodies . 5 or 6 multi-reed players that can be miked would be able to add new colors and voices to arrangements. Most talented woodwind players can play all the woodwinds.

No doubt in my mind tha this will be the next creative addition .

This was Hoppy's idea from the start. Remember how you boil a frog?

Are you refusing to admit that the condition of those horns effected Pioneer's sound in a negative way?