RIP, drum corps I knew

Are you refusing to admit that the condition of those horns effected Pioneer's sound in a negative way?

The condition of the horns affecting the score vs the assertion that switching to Bb to improve the scores are 2 different things.

Being told their scores would improve if they got a new line of horns is something else again...and a suggestion of gong to Bb due to the lower cost compared to buing a new G line is, again, different.

It depends on how it was truly presented.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Boy...

So I think it may be time to clarify some things. These are truths...

#1 The words were said by more than one brass judge, to me, personally that that "SOUND" is not what they are looking for in DCI anymore. I am telling the truth. Of course I need to keep these judges names anonymous.

#2 Many of the brass instruments were in POOR condition, some were in FAIR condition, some were in GOOD condition. Some shouldn't have been allowed on the field. They sounded "different" than EVERYONE else in Division 1. Obviously some people on DCP still prefer the old school sound of the G horns.

#3 There were no parts available to repair these instruments on tour.

#4 The new set of matched King MULTI KEY horns sound WAY BETTER with the same kids playing them.

#5 The debate about Bb/G is over in DCI. They have moved on new horizons. (I still teach both DCI, DCA All-Age, mini corps and Alumni corps. I have experience going back to the 60's and have played and arranged for all. I still play both instruments.) There arent as many straight up "buglers" as there used to be. The kids signing for tours are more equipped to play Bb/F horns.

#6 I totally accepted Pioneer's placement in brass last year...although maybe not the scoring. I am not TOTALLY blaming it on the used equipment. There were many other reasons including a replacement caption head in late MAY (me). I already mentioned that I told the kids if they wanted a hifgher score or placement they would have to continue to work their butts off. They did...they still placed last in brass. It is what it is. Nobody is mad about it. They tried their hardest. What more can an instructor ask for.

#7 Brass Arrangements also have a part in the sound of the hornline. Enough said.

So there it is...

Donny

Are you refusing to admit that the condition of those horns effected Pioneer's sound in a negative way?

I don't know if it did or not. Do you?

The judges in question couldn't have known either. What they did know, however, was that Pioneer would continue to finish "last in brass" as long as they used G bugles.

Would require electronic drum major as well. Very impractical, probably impossible.

"On the field, from Concord, California...the Blue Devils!"

"Drum Major, Dr. Beat...is your corps ready?"

I know you guys need/want another person piling on like you need a hole in the head, but I just wanted to add that I am out. In case somebody involved intimately with DCI decides to come here and see how their concepts are playing out with the fans. I see how the really good proposals did not even get to come before the Board. They had the staff lackeys kill those off without much consideration. Drum corps has been headed in a bad direction and at least it means I won't have to worry about how to fit shows into my schedule this summer or find the money to subscribe to the online offerings. I will continue with my plan to buy the DVD sets I missed up to 2004 and check out completely. Have fun, bandos.

I prefer G bugles for drum corps, but Bb or F is not an issue with me.

However, people keep mentioning the economics of Bb being easier to afford.

I don't get this. If you look at past price lists the cost has been less or the same as similar Bb or F marching brass.

There isn't really any manufacturing advantage or disadvantage to making either. The same materials and process is used

It is mostly a matter of having an order to fill.

I work in manufacturing. We make what the customer wants.

I don't know if it did or not. Do you?

The judges in question couldn't have known either. What they did know, however, was that Pioneer would continue to finish "last in brass" as long as they used G bugles.

Common sense would tell you that it did. Even a fantastic performer's sound can be hindered with poor equipment.

I believe they find it easier to off-load the new horns than the old G bugles.

Perhaps, but a beat horn is a beat horn. The key doesn't matter then.

I've seen some of the prices that corps are asking for their used horns and they don't guarantee condition or give you a choice of a particular instrument.

I think if I had to borrow the money anyhow, I'd go new. Unless, the horns were in great condition and the price was an exceptional value.