RIP, drum corps I knew

They do...that's why we are able to experience the great shows we see and hear.

In that case, they should take responsibility for and accept the responses they get...good and bad, instead of trying to say everyone else is hurting their little darlings.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't send it in you'll never know....even MORE, OZ should have his daughter send HER comments in.

In fact....send it to DCI (meaning Dan A.) AND all teh Div I directors...here's the email list.

mark@arizonaacademy.org; admin@bluedevils.org; bknights@bknights.org; brad@bluestars.org; dglasgow@bluecoats.com; info@crusaders.com; hopkins@yea.org; info@capitalregiment.org; crown@carolinacrown.org; cascadesdirector@yahoo.com; director@cavaliers.org; greg@colts.org; mark@crossmen.org; brian@glassmen.org; executivedirector@madisonscouts.org; remar747@aol.com; pompel@pacific-crest.org; prinfo@regiment.org; dbcpmilw@execpc.com; a-corps@scvanguard.org; director@southwind.org; SpiritJSU@aol.com; info@troopersdrumcorps.org

My letter to the directors...

Dear Directors, I'd like to thank you for the hard work you have done over the last weekend and I would like to especially thank the three of you had have had the courtesy to respond to my comments. I think you all were very wise in voting for the restructured governance for DCI, such that every member corps has a say in what happens. I believe that is the primary reason why DCI was created in the first place. However, I am very disappointed in the rule proposals that were passed, so much so, that I had to wait an entire week in order to write this more from my head than from my heart. Many of the new rules come with the labels of "change" and "evolution." When folks like myself raise objections to the electronics in drum corps, we are told that we are against change and evolution. Gentlemen please, do you really believe that there is no other way to change or evolve than by adding electronics. Drum corps has done so for decades upon decades. Why is it that now drum cannot change and evolve without electronics. I am not against change. In fact, I have been for, or ambivalent to most of the changes DCI has made. Adding valves was a good move, in my opinion. Grounding the pit was a good move in my opinion. The change to any key horns did not bother me. I would like to see some of the older things color guards did in the past, but I accepted that they do not happen anymore. However, the addition of electronic elements alters the fundamental structure of drum and bugle corps more than any of these other changes put together, in my opinion. Many enjoy the differences that drum corps offers from marching bands and appreciate having two wonderful marching activities. The recent changes DCI has been making continue to eliminate those differences and the diversity they provide for the marching arts. Since the vote took place, I am hearing more and more people of age losing interest in becoming involved with DCI, as well as many legacy fans who have supported DCI through thick and thin. I hope you all will consider this as you consider what the goals for DCI are and should be. The direction is solely in your hands. The decisions effect everyone. Sincerely,

David BassanFan, supporter and volunteer since 1978.

Nicely done! :thumbup:

This is the first i have ever posted on this site. honestly I haven't been around drum corps in a long time, not that i had any choice. drum corps just stopped existing. :thumbup: But, with these new changes i am just outraged. how can these kids even call it drum corps when it resembles nothing but fairy marching band. These kids don't have a clue these days. I am offended whenever they come on here and try and tell us folks to move on, and "get over it old timer." THE NERVE! DCI has killed drum corps, along with the kids that think that they are preserving tradition. I used to love this activity, now there is nothing about it i like anymore. its geared towards these artsy anal performing arts students who still cant distinguish the difference between band and corps. ITS JUST NOT FOR ME! I WOULD NEVER SUBJECT MYSELF TO LOOKING LIKE A FAIRY ON THE FIELD (not that im calling these kids fairys, they look like them when they leap around like one) THIS ACTIVITY IS GOING TO THE BIRDS!

Fine.. then leave!!

I'm sure those evil kids wont miss you.

BTW..if you want to make a point you might try not insulting people, using homophobic rants, and run on sentences. Otherwise people might thing you were..full of it? maybe?? :biggrin:

Edited by tubamann

Dear Directors, I'd like to thank you for the hard work you have done over the last weekend and I would like to especially thank the three of you had have had the courtesy to respond to my comments. I think you all were very wise in voting for the restructured governance for DCI, such that every member corps has a say in what happens. I believe that is the primary reason why DCI was created in the first place. However, I am very disappointed in the rule proposals that were passed, so much so, that I had to wait an entire week in order to write this more from my head than from my heart. Many of the new rules come with the labels of "change" and "evolution." When folks like myself raise objections to the electronics in drum corps, we are told that we are against change and evolution. Gentlemen please, do you really believe that there is no other way to change or evolve than by adding electronics. Drum corps has done so for decades upon decades. Why is it that now drum cannot change and evolve without electronics. I am not against change. In fact, I have been for, or ambivalent to most of the changes DCI has made. Adding valves was a good move, in my opinion. Grounding the pit was a good move in my opinion. The change to any key horns did not bother me. I would like to see some of the older things color guards did in the past, but I accepted that they do not happen anymore. However, the addition of electronic elements alters the fundamental structure of drum and bugle corps more than any of these other changes put together, in my opinion. Many enjoy the differences that drum corps offers from marching bands and appreciate having two wonderful marching activities. The recent changes DCI has been making continue to eliminate those differences and the diversity they provide for the marching arts. Since the vote took place, I am hearing more and more people of age losing interest in becoming involved with DCI, as well as many legacy fans who have supported DCI through thick and thin. I hope you all will consider this as you consider what the goals for DCI are and should be. The direction is solely in your hands. The decisions effect everyone. Sincerely,

David BassanFan, supporter and volunteer since 1978.

Very well thought out letter. I can't get over the emotional aspect to respond with another letter. I got about the same amount of responses to my letter as you did.

Edited by Lancerlady

MikeD...you are driving me up the wall. Your argument saying "we who do not like amps" are actually attacking marching members is well "stupid" :thumbup: . I have went through every page of this thread and never once did I see anyone attacking the marching members.

Did you read my post...

Why does anyone who marched think it's OK to attack just about everything the current MM do and still expect them to somehow NOT be insulted? IMO, and it's been posted many times by MM, you just can't separate the corps and the members. Members live and breathe their shows and love their corps today, just the same as when we marched.

Are you (the royal "you") free to belittle anything you want? Sure. Just don't try and justify in your own mind as NOT impacting those marching today. IMO it does...as it did in our day.

Where did I say anyone is attacking the members directly? I said, and I believe this to be true from my experience and posts from CMM...that belittling what the corps members do will have an impact on them as it did in any era when a person's corps was dissed.

Where did I say anyone is attacking the members directly? I said, and I believe this to be true from my experience and posts from CMM...that belittling what the corps members do will have an impact on them as it did in any era when a person's corps was dissed.

I find this a semantic game that you are playing, but even taken at face value for a moment - the logical conclusion of your argument would be that since the members perform what the staff writes and DCI mandates as legal, we cannot even disagree with the rules themselves, since the rules set the parameters for what the design team writes, for the members to perform. In essence, anything remotely negative is going to impact the members.

That would stitch it up very nicely for you, wouldn't it?

I said, and I believe this to be true from my experience and posts from CMM...that belittling what the corps members do will have an impact on them as it did in any era when a person's corps was dissed.

I agree with you in the context of talking about specific shows where members feel a sense of ownership over that show. An attack on the design is felt by the members. However, the discussions here are about the recent changes in drum corps and not about any particular show. At least that is my take on what I've read. There are legit criticisms about the rules recently passed and it is in no way an attack on the current members to raise those concerns or concerns about the design direction these changes may take us.