RIP, drum corps I knew

I did not say direct result. I said it will help, as in entice, especially the younger generation who know nothing else rather than these kinds of shows. I am not trying to argue here at all, but I think it is a bit naive to think the number of those not attending anymore won't at least be replaced with newer fans, if not exceeded completely.

My experience with band audiences? Glad you asked.

The local high school band is very successful on the local level and top 10 BOA regional. In any given year, less than 10% of the band will appear at DCI East on one night (of two). When they graduate, they stop going. They are very short-term fans. Your marketing costs are high because you must keep attracting replacements each year.

Of the 400 students in the band over my daughter’s three years in high school, I’ll give you two-to-one on your money that the only ones still going to drum corps shows are my daughter and whoever we take with us. And we’re not going to DCI shows.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict gloom and doom here as well.

Again, that was very easy to type and didn't cause me to lose one brain cell.

Gloom and doom is so easy....everyone should try it!

Well, maybe I missed it in another thread somewhere else, Tom, so please forgive my ignorance if you've already done so. For my enlightenment, could you please answer this question:

If DCI is well-served by finding new fans, would DCI not be best served by keeping old fans at the same time?

(A simple yes/no answer is all that is required, although any explication you can provide would be appreciated.)

IOW, wouldn't the "gloom and doom" be swept away if old fans were at least appeased (if not delighted) AND new fans came in?

Has it actually gotten so bad that the two are mutually exclusive? It seems that TXMystreaux believes that. I'm not sure about the majority of the DCI BoD, but it seems that Hopkins believes that. I know I'm not the first person to ask this question.

An unchanging, surviving DCI is not possible, but does DCI's survival require alienation too? I believe the "gloom and doom" stems from the alienation that most on this side feel. When it seems that the powers-that-be aren't taking your views into account, to the point that your concerns aren't even shared at all by them, the person who used to feel a connection, a bond, feels abandoned. This has been a rallying cry for many of the progressive political stripe: the weaker members of society feel alienated from a political process that pays no attention to them, and they abandon it. How many social organizations exist to re-connect the poor, the indigent, the whoever to the process and "give them a voice"?

I'm not arguing that we want welfare, just a little consideration. Some say, "Well, we give you the Classic Countdown and Legacy DVDs. What else could you want?" Well, gee, thanks for throwing us that bone.

Are these "best and brightest" minds in drum corps SO limited that no other accommodation could be made? That no other avenue besides a fundamental alteration of the bedrock principle of the activity could be found to do what these "visionaries" forsee need be done that also happened to make more people happy?

What you call "gloom and doom" is really an immense frustration at the ridiculousness of the situation. A confrontation was not inevitable, but in the end became unavoidable. Given the opposite conclusion, I'm sure some of you protesting the "gloom and doom" would be engaging in it. (Although, the "vampire" principle doesn't seem to work on our side. We lose, the war's over. You lose, the proposal comes back from the dead until it finally sinks its fangs into an innocent.)

Ah well, enough rambling. On with the show!

This shows how out of touch you are with the competitive band world. These changes will most definitely help bring in a new audience, driven in big part by educators and those who have already marched in these kinds of shows.

A few points to make in response to your post...

1. I admit that I am not as into the competitive band world as I used to be, but do any of those bands that you elude to use mics and amps on their brass? I've seen mics for all of the woodwinds, but not for any brass. I expect to be proven wrong, but if not...

2. "these kinds of shows"...Are we supposed to believe that our shows are now going to transform into some other kind of presentation besides what we've come to expect? Is the addition of electronics going to make that big a difference in the design and content of the show?

3. If a circuit already exists where those that marched in "these kinds of shows" can witness a high level of showmanship and excitement, then why would we expect them to show up in our stadiums to watch our version of the same?

Sorry...I just don't buy the "new audience" theory...

My experience with band audiences? Glad you asked.

The local high school band is very successful on the local level and top 10 BOA regional. In any given year, less than 10% of the band will appear at DCI East on one night (of two). When they graduate, they stop going. They are very short-term fans. Your marketing costs are high because you must keep attracting replacements each year.

Of the 400 students in the band over my daughter’s three years in high school, I’ll give you two-to-one on your money that the only ones still going to drum corps shows are my daughter and whoever we take with us. And we’re not going to DCI shows.

Sure. . .I understand and have seen the same thing. But, I will add that as soon as those kids graduate and stop going (or whatever circumstance), there are more kids who have filtered up in grades eager and ready to attend the shows. We have consistently had the group we take grow each summer.

A few points to make in response to your post...

1. I admit that I am not as into the competitive band world as I used to be, but do any of those bands that you elude to use mics and amps on their brass? I've seen mics for all of the woodwinds, but not for any brass. I expect to be proven wrong, but if not...

2. "these kinds of shows"...Are we supposed to believe that our shows are now going to transform into some other kind of presentation besides what we've come to expect? Is the addition of electronics going to make that big a difference in the design and content of the show?

3. If a circuit already exists where those that marched in "these kinds of shows" can witness a high level of showmanship and excitement, then why would we expect them to show up in our stadiums to watch our version of the same?

Sorry...I just don't buy the "new audience" theory...

1. Not that I know of, but I don't see that rule change as a big deal nor do I expect to see it widely used.

2. I am speaking more into what design elements are used, rather than the actual content/themes. The younger generation will see the inclusion of electronics, etc as nothing negative on the whole.

3. DCI has and will continue (IMO) to trump any outdoor marching circuit when it comes to level of excellence in performance. This is, as far as I have seen, the main attraction.

Hold it - I'm calling bull #### on this. Here's what you said...

Care to re-tool your answer?

No need to retool. The word help is the key. I think it will help attract the younger generation, which was the intent of my statement from the beginning.

I did not say direct result. I said it will help, as in entice, especially the younger generation who know nothing else rather than these kinds of shows. I am not trying to argue here at all, but I think it is a bit naive to think the number of those not attending anymore won't at least be replaced with newer fans, if not exceeded completely.

Will these new fans follow DCI for 30+ years like the ones they are replacing?

So Tex - it is your contention that there will be no direct benefit to the fanbase in bringing in electronics?

Or will there be a direct benefit because it will "help"?

Gotta be one or the other, pick one.

Edited by kusankusho

So Tex - it is your contention that there will be no direct benefit to the fanbase in bringing in electronics?

Or will there be a direct benefit because it will "help"?

Gotta be one or the other, pick one.

I am pretty sure I already have. Sorry, not playing these word games with you today.

Will these new fans follow DCI for 30+ years like the ones they are replacing?

Some will, some won't. . .just as some who are being replaced have not followed (and contributed monetarily) for 30+ years, and haven't in recent years before these rule changes.