RIP, drum corps I knew

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people claim that those that walk won't be missed...that they are just close minded. they claim that the new fans that we gain that like the new and progressive drum corps era might replace them.

Good point. Ask anyone in sales; the cost of acquiring a new customer is much higher than the cost of retaining an existing customer. I’ve seen any number of businesses go under because they did not hold onto their existing customers.

Why DCI seems to prefer the new fan to the legacy fan is a constant amazement to me.

This is why in my experience DCP is considered to be a complete joke to current marching members.

Must come as a surprise to the current MMs who post here. Have had some good discussions with them....

Good point. Ask anyone in sales; the cost of acquiring a new customer is much higher than the cost of retaining an existing customer. I’ve seen any number of businesses go under because they did not hold onto their existing customers.

Why DCI seems to prefer the new fan to the legacy fan is a constant amazement to me.

DCI is a relative monopoly in the marching arts. If people want to see the highest level of performance there is no option. I don't like the changes either, but it's the reality of the situation.

Must come as a surprise to the current MMs who post here. Have had some good discussions with them....

I think the statement's intent is in general. In terms of the numbers of kids who are cmm in junior corps, there are very few who post here regularly.

I think the statement's intent is in general. In terms of the numbers of kids who are cmm in junior corps, there are very few who post here regularly.

I know, just having a little bit of fun. Since dbc03 used "in my experience" he/she was not using a blanket statement that causes so much trouble here.

Very low percentage of current All Age or Alumni members post here either.

Earlier people were doing a sports comparison saying that American football evolved from rugby as an analogy to how drum corps is evolving into...into...whatever it's evolving into.

I don't think that's an accurate analogy.

It's more like American football changing the rules to allow TASERs to be used to make the game, "better".

Sure you remember a time when tackles actually had to catch receivers and running backs and physically bring them down, but that was the old days. Receivers have much better conditioning today and can run faster. The TASER will only enhance the game. Don't like it. Get over it. It's a new game.

:music:

DCI is a relative monopoly in the marching arts. If people want to see the highest level of performance there is no option. I don't like the changes either, but it's the reality of the situation.

But therein lies the problem, Adam...

Older, quieter, "legacy" fans (not the frequent participant on DCP, but rather one that sits back, watches from afar, sends a check once a year, and goes to a show or two), surely do want to see the highest level of performance in the marching arts, but when you change the activity into something that they no longer identify or associate with, you lose their support. Trust me, I can't tell you how many times I had to explain the change to multi keyed horns to a supporter whose only contact with our activity was maybe taking in one local show a year. I don't think it is sheer coincidence that as time passed and more changes came our way, those donation checks from those types of supporters began to disappear. And coincidentally, I haven't seen them at the local shows either.

The bottom line is, if you don't give people what they want to see, they will no longer want to see it. And I'm afraid that we are going to start losing more legacy supporters (notice I said "supporter" and not the more general term "fan") as a result of the evolution of drum corps that we are witnessing right before our eyes. It started somewhat with the passing of multi keyed instruments and then amps a few years ago. With those changes, many still had the "wait and see" attitude. But each time we add yet another controversial change, many just say "F" it.