Does anyone know who voted Yes and No

uhhhh.....or positively??

seriously, if theyre doing something to further, better, and help progress the activity, why wouldnt they be proud enough of their vote to publicly establish their identity?

if theyre that embarrassed of a proposal they supported, why would they push drum corps in that direction for audiences to see?

Because they're not pushing drum corps in this direction for US the fans. They are doing it for THEM. It is an ego thing. They know what's best and we're just a bunch of idiots.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they're not pushing drum corps in this direction for US the fans. They are doing it for THEM. It is an ego thing. They know what's best and we're just a bunch of idiots.

Hey, you said it.

DCI is doing what it has always done..letting the corps determine their own self interests. That is why DCI was founded, and that is what they are doing to this day.

They have much more to consider then the opinions of the ultra conservitave fans that lurk on and dominate DCP (and overestimate their own importance, IMHO)

Hey, you said it.

DCI is doing what it has always done..letting the corps determine their own self interests. That is why DCI was founded, and that is what they are doing to this day.

They have much more to consider then the opinions of the ultra conservitave fans that lurk on and dominate DCP (and overestimate their own importance, IMHO)

So, then show us the survey that shows DCI was not attracting a large segment of the population because those people were waiting for DCI to allow amps, Bb, and electronics.

If the few "ultra conservative fans" on DCP are the only people not in favor of these changes, then that means the rest of the population IS. Ok, stipulating that, then it must follow that DCI corps are taking THAT viewpoint into account. And since DCI had not allowed these things for a very long time, this information must have come to light recently to influence DCI's direction.

So, show us where this revelation has been discovered. (You can't because it doesn't exist.)

The justifications for all of this rest on unproven assumptions. DCI is blindfolded in a dark, empty room trying to find the only exit. Better yet, they're like the drunk who's lost his keys in a mostly dark parking lot at night: he's searching for his keys under the only street light, because it's the only place he can see. Maybe they're there, and maybe not. Either way, it's a risky gamble. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

you don't really believe this do you?

I mean, sure, they're gonna protect their own interests/their corps interests. but.... I hardly think that they think we're idiots. Nor do they think they have all of the ideas/know what is best.

im planning on writing up those emails tomorrow, by the way.

Great idea, and one step further: In 2009, show your visible support to the corps that have chosen not to electrify. Give them the loudest standing ovations during their shows and remain silent during the amp'd ones.

If, when the results come in, that an amp'd corps wins the show, boo the results. Not the corps, the results.

With judges, instructors and board members all in the same back pocket, voicing your opinion during the show to support the corps you love, is the only voice you have left.

If I had any intention of actually going to the 2009 Band Corps International shows, I would for sure show excitement for the non electric instrumented corps. As it stands, after this season, I will AGE OUT......

Ok, so they voted no. I seem to remember reading that the Colts are planning on using these things anyway. So, they took a stand, but caved in within the day......no I dont think anyone really should be supported in regards to how they voted seeing as by the end of the decade all will be using these new "rules" .....

~G~

Well, you wouldn't want them to compete with one arm tied behind their backs, would you?

If the few "ultra conservative fans" on DCP are the only people not in favor of these changes, then that means the rest of the population IS. Ok, stipulating that, then it must follow that DCI corps are taking THAT viewpoint into account. And since DCI had not allowed these things for a very long time, this information must have come to light recently to influence DCI's direction.

Thats not true, and I think you know why. Just because some people are 'ultra conservative' and vehemently against these changes, does not mean that the rest have automatically been clamoring for them either. Its not really an either / or situation. Most of the people that fall into the supposed 'pro amp' camp are actually just people willing to give things a shot, and judge it on a case by case basis. This actually kinda jibes with your point however, that even the pro amp fans weren't begging for amps and electronics to be added to drum corps, so i guess the question remains (not really) - who are the knew toys REALLY for???

Edited by euponitone

It looks like there were six corps whose representatives voted NO on both of the main points of contention here (amplification of brass and electronic instruments) - Boston, Colts, Madison, Mandarins, Phantom and Spirit.

I guess it's time to put up or shut up.

If you disapprove of the passage of those two rules, go to websites of one or more of the corps who voted no and buy a souvenir. You don't have to wait until the summer to show your support for them sticking up for tradition. Buy a t-shirt or a cap or a bumper sticker online NOW.

Or shut up and quit whining about the changes.

I know I'm getting my credit card out right now.

Or you could just donate money...