The market is self-correcting

The market is not directing the directions of drum corps, just a few freaks are, that’s the problem, that’s the monopoly in a niche

And what is their goal, no, their real goal?

Welcome to the new coke

Last I checked the real goal of the BOD and the corps directors that make it are the furthering of the missions of both DCI and their corps.

They are not freaks either. They are good people that have a different view from you..and THEIR opinion just happens to matter.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I checked the real goal of the BOD and the corps directors that make it are the furthering of the missions of both DCI and their corps.

They are not freaks either. They are good people that have a different view from you..and THEIR opinion just happens to matter.

I suggest you continue to check back when the next 2 or 3 corps go inactive (fold). Missions accomplished.

I suggest you continue to check back when the next 2 or 3 corps go inactive (fold). Missions accomplished.

you must have missed the other 5 discussions about the real reasons corps fold. It isnt about buying or not buying a few thousands in new equipment. Its about the other nonrelated things that have far more to do with it....check out some of the other threads...

After lurking around here for years, I decided to finally "join the fun" today, after reading about the new rules.

My contention is this:

Drum corps is about excellence and creativity. It's a highly personalized experience, which is why (in my opinion) there's so much hysteria about things like this... everyone wants it to "stay" the way it was when it impacted their lives.

Not necessarily. There have been lots of changes to drum corps that I've liked. 2V, 3V, grounded pit, asymmetrical drill (glad I don't have to crab step!), etc. I've even come around to Bb brass, though I have a soft spot for G brass. None of these changes altered the fundamental sound of drum corps as an acoustic medium.

Creative people, however, are seldom satisfied with the status quo.

These so called "creative people" are incapable of working within the current boundaries. So they change the rules.

If this "brave new world" of DCI winds up smelling like the back bay at low tide, it's pretty safe to assume that this electronic trickery will go away, and the pendulum will swing back again.

And if it doesn't? Are you willing to take that chance?

Am I the only one who remembers when Cirque de Soleil was actually a circus? It has evolved, gotten one heck of a lot more dependent on technology, and is more popular than ever. I'm sure that there are people in French-speaking Canada who are still upset that Vegas has absorbed a zillion different Cirque troupes, and their beloved Celine as well... but I digress.

That's OK, we're sending her back. We have Bette Midler now!

Give this time... it's either going to work or it isn't... and in the mean time, it might just provide the memory of a lifetime for the young performers and might even wind up engaging some talented kids who wouldn't have otherwise had the chance to be the new creators, composer and visionaries for the next generation.

And if it ends up that these talented kids end up with nothing? Then what?

All of this talk about abandoning the activity and flocking to DCA, wearing abusive t-shirts and such is just foolishness. The market will self-correct if this is horrible... and it MIGHT just garner more attention if it's not. After watching what's going on in other art forms (including DCA's mini-corps), however, something tells me that the next great explosion of creativity is about to begin, whether we like it or not.

No goofy shirts for me. Still have to get to a DCA show, though I'm looking forward to doing it eventually. The key word here is "might." That's just too chancy for me. These rule changes are gambling with the legacy of drum corps. Who picks up the tab if they lose the bet? We do.

I may not be thrilled with the changes, but I'm going to support the activity that has given so much to me. Excellence is still excellence, and I'm anxious to see how this comes out.

I think it's safe to say we're all anxious, and the excellence factor is undeniable. I fear that we're going to rule change ourselves right into summer bands. These rule changes are happening in too great a number, and way too fast. Others in this thread have expressed similar concerns.

Take, for example, the 2V brass. It was introduced in different voices of the brass choir over at least three years so that corps could absorb the cost in a reasonable manner. Think of the pit. First it was 2 keyboards, and they had to march. They slowly expanded the number of keyboards, then finally grounded them 7 years later. Much easier and more cost effective.

Why this rush to homogenize drum corps with marching bands? Because the faster you do it, the less likely it will be for any resistance to organize. Think of it as a DCI blitzkreig and we're Poland.

Garry in Vegas (with Bette!)

Edited by CrunchyTenor

The market is not directing the directions of drum corps, just a few freaks are, that’s the problem, that’s the monopoly in a niche

And what is their goal, no, their real goal?

Welcome to the new coke

This post (and others) seems to imply that their real goal is -- to put themselves out of business.

Is that what you really believe?

Not necessarily. There have been lots of changes to drum corps that I've liked. 2V, 3V, grounded pit, asymmetrical drill (glad I don't have to crab step!), etc. I've even come around to Bb brass, though I have a soft spot for G brass. None of these changes altered the fundamental sound of drum corps as an acoustic medium.

These so called "creative people" are incapable of working within the current boundaries. So they change the rules.

When were the boundaries ever stagnant?

And...how do you get to your "incapable" idea from a desire to continue to expand the options? There is no one way to be creative.

The fundamental drum corps sound is whatever the rules permit...now amps and next year electronics.

My contention is this:

All of this talk about abandoning the activity and flocking to DCA, wearing abusive t-shirts and such is just foolishness.

I'll grant you the abusive t-shirt thing. But in my opinion, continuing to support DCI blindly through the constant addition of things you dislike is foolish. Finding another activity, or another venue for said activity, is not. DCA has just as much right to be a part of the market as DCI does.

And...how do you get to your "incapable" idea from a desire to continue to expand the options?

"I can't find a way to make the sound of a helicopter naturally, so I'll just have a machine do it."

"I can't find a way to make the sound of a helicopter naturally, so I'll just have a machine do it."

Im pretty sure that ones already been done....

:thumbup:

This post (and others) seems to imply that their real goal is -- to put themselves out of business.

Is that what you really believe?

Who knows, when all we have is conjecture to work with?

It's not hard to go into a controlled Q&A with Drum Corps World, DCP.net or anywhere else and explain what you want to do with the activity, why you voted for "X", and so on. Anyone could do it...Hop, Gibbs, Arnold, etc.

Thing is, no one ever does (or if they do, it's from the snuggly safe confines of their blog or their own corps website), and when DCI.org lobs a softball question like "What do you plan on doing with electronics?", people either say "Uh..." or talk up that oh-so-nebulous word "possibilities". Where is the logistical thought? How much money might it cost? How muhc is going to be written off by someone else? Why is any of this secret...as if marching band non-profits are the CIA?

Well, you know....if you can't be bothered to care enough about it to comment on it professionally/creatively when you are changing the overall paradigm of the activity, don't expect everyone to just roll over and be sparkles and sunshine with your choices. I don't blame people for being angry...the reason peoples anger is all over the map is that no one wants to stand up and be counted director-wise for fear of some imaginary backlash against them.