Drum Corps Trivia

Only if you can get about 110 million more viewers.

Quick, start calling all the women who you know will be watching ice dancing.

Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet...

Halftime the kittens come out.... :thumbup:

Back on topic: Why did Reilly and some other corps get DQ'ed???

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet...

Halftime the kittens come out.... :thumbup:

Back on topic: Why did Reilly and some other corps get DQ'ed???

you had to declare your non legion membership and it was 80/20. they didn't declare and when asked for legion cards they didn't have them. without the legion card you we'rnt a legion member and should have been declared so when a count was taken they could figure the percentage. they didn't do this so they dq'ed them.

you had to declare your non legion membership and it was 80/20. they didn't declare and when asked for legion cards they didn't have them. without the legion card you we'rnt a legion member and should have been declared so when a count was taken they could figure the percentage. they didn't do this so they dq'ed them.

The VFW changed the 80/20 Rule to 50/50 in 1958...

(Not sure when the Legion did?)

Some more 1958 Trivia:

* Garfield went to AL Nats wearing white t-shirts and shorts - and borrowing instruments from the Cavaliers

* De La Salle Oaklands Bugle Band made the transformation to a Drum & Bugle Corps

* Hyde Park Crusaders became the Boston Crusaders

* Garbarina became the Skyliners

* Mel Tierney became the Skokie Vanguard

* 3 members of the Royal Airs were killed in a fire at Our Lady of Angels School - RA to this day plays a tribute concert at the cemetary

* The State Department sent the Caballeros on a Good Will Tour to Havana

* The first Fleetwood record was made - of Lt. Norman Prince

Here's a Trivia Question:

Where did the Lt. Norman Prince name come from?

I can only assume you mean the "Princemen" from Melrose, MA. I guess I am not old school enough to know them as Lt. Norman Prince.

Norman Prince was the son of a very rich Boston Brahmin. He went to France during World War One - before the United States got into it in 1917 - and joined the Lafayette Escadrille, a French fighter unit made up primarily of Americans. Contrary to popular memory, he was not killed in a flaming dogfight with The Red Baron, but, in fact, clipped a power line as he was coming in for a landing, crashed, and was killed.

If I recall correctly, his remains lie in the Washington Cathedral - in a private niche.

The Lt. Norman Prince Post of the VFW was, of course, named for him. The "Princemen" claimed to be the only corps in the United States to have granted the right - by the goverment of France - to carry the French colors.

Andy

Some more 1958 Trivia:

* Garfield went to AL Nats wearing white t-shirts and shorts - and borrowing instruments from the Cavaliers

Part Two of the above question....

Where were their uniforms and equipment??

Andy

Some more 1958 Trivia:

Part Two of the above question....

Where were their uniforms and equipment??

Andy

Back at the Church...

The Holy Name Parish refused to let the Cadets go to Chicago to defend their Legion Title due to a building expansion and economy drive.

So they broke from the Church and went anyway, buying their own uniforms (white shorts, black garrison belt, white polo shirt, Ranger hat, etc.) and borrowing instruments from The Cavaliers.

(BTW, they came in 2nd, losing to Sac by .3 and beating The Cavies by 1.2)

They later found a new sponsor and became the Garfield Cadets...

Here's another Trivia Question:

What corps first won both AL and VFW National Titles in the same year?

Back at the Church...

The Holy Name Parish refused to let the Cadets go to Chicago to defend their Legion Title due to a building expansion and economy drive.

So they broke from the Church and went anyway, buying their own uniforms (white shorts, black garrison belt, white polo shirt, Ranger hat, etc.) and borrowing instruments from The Cavaliers.

(BTW, they came in 2nd, losing to Sac by .3 and beating The Cavies by 1.2)

They later found a new sponsor and became the Garfield Cadets...

Here's another Trivia Question:

What corps first won both AL and VFW National Titles in the same year?

Was it Blessed Sac in '54 - VFW in Philadelphia and A.L. in Washington, DC?

And by the way, the Holy Name equipment was at another church - St. Mary's Star of the Sea in Beverly, Mass. I believe that we, the Cardinals, got that equipment during the winter of '57/'58. We wore it for the first time at the church's May Procession in '58. And we wore it in the Dream that same year.

I wouldn't bet a kidney on it, but I'm pretty sure it was '58.

Andy

Was it Blessed Sac in '54 - VFW in Philadelphia and A.L. in Washington, DC?

And by the way, the Holy Name equipment was at another church - St. Mary's Star of the Sea in Beverly, Mass. I believe that we, the Cardinals, got that equipment during the winter of '57/'58. We wore it for the first time at the church's May Procession in '58. And we wore it in the Dream that same year.

I wouldn't bet a kidney on it, but I'm pretty sure it was '58.

Andy

Nope, not Sac in '54...

OK, what did the "Open" and "Closed" VFW classes mean in early 1950s VFW Champs?

You told me before Ron but I forgot... :thumbup: