Instructor's caucus

As for the question he was asked, we really have no idea what the logistics of the room were at the time or how the question was asked....or anything beyond the assertion you posted.

Hopkins was discussing the development of Cadets show for the crowd. He was asked about the changes made to the narration, crowd reactions, etc. Tim asked him whether the design staff spent anytime outside the 40s when developing the narration. He asked "Outside the 40s?". Tim responded, "Yes, the 40 yard lines, where 2/3 of the audience is sitting, (pause) and cannot hear the narration." He did not respond, and the judge leading the session said that he guessed he (Hopkins) answered the question.

So, I guess Hopkins has selective hearing. He heard the first part, asked for clarification, then evidently didn't hear the second part.

Now, it's irrelevant who the characters are in this example. But to simply ignore a question tells me that there's no answer, or the respondant can't answer because they don't know.

I'll take staging for $2000, Alex.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's odd. I was there and did hear George reply. I am surprised you did not Garry.

Hopkins was discussing the development of Cadets show for the crowd. He was asked about the changes made to the narration, crowd reactions, etc. Tim asked him whether the design staff spent anytime outside the 40s when developing the narration. He asked "Outside the 40s?". Tim responded, "Yes, the 40 yard lines, where 2/3 of the audience is sitting, (pause) and cannot hear the narration." He did not respond, and the judge leading the session said that he guessed he (Hopkins) answered the question.

So, I guess Hopkins has selective hearing. He heard the first part, asked for clarification, then evidently didn't hear the second part.

Now, it's irrelevant who the characters are in this example. But to simply ignore a question tells me that there's no answer, or the respondant can't answer because they don't know.

I'll take staging for $2000, Alex.

Garry in Vegas

That's odd. I was there and did hear George reply. I am surprised you did not Garry.

You must have been sitting inside the 40's. :rolleyes:

Garry was not there, correct? All of his sharing in this instance is second hand info I thought.

What are you blabbing about. I asked a question. A no would have been sufficient.

Tim needed a corps to sponsor his efforts...it could have been Crown for all I care. Someone sponsored it. Undeniable.

To me that's hoisting his efforts. To think otherwise is naive at best,

Tom, I'll post this one more time, just for you. From Blue Stars Exec director:

Hi All,

I wanted to post a few thoughts and comments about the rules proposals that came out today on dci.org. I want to make sure that there are no misunderstandings about the process for submitting proposals and how these particular proposals affect the Blue Stars.

All rules proposals must be submitted by a corps director or at-large DCI board member. I was approached by Tim Kviz many months ago about submitting several rules proposals for consideration. Originally, there were five proposals, but eventually it was trimmed to three.

My requirements for submitting were that they had to be well written, they couldn't degrade any corps or corps' representative, and they had to be based in facts ("a majority of fans dislike amplification" is not something that is provable). I think Tim did an excellent job in laying forth clear, constructive arguments for the proposals. Tim will also be the person at the instructors' caucus to answer any questions about the proposals. The Blue Stars and its instructors will vote on these proposals independent of Tim.

Additionally, I want to make it clear that the Blue Stars are not making a stand as "anti-amplification" or "pro-amplification." Our design team will program the best show possible and has at its disposal any and all tools that are legal.

So why submit the proposals? Because one of the key points in change management is to assess whether or not the change produced the desired results. This is often a step that is overlooked in our activity and beyond. Tim's proposals are a way of asking the question. Everyone involved understands the very slim chance of these proposals even making it out of the instructors' caucus, but any discussion that occurs is healthy for the activity.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad Furlano

Executive Director

Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps

Edited by BozzlyB

What are you blabbing about. I asked a question. A no would have been sufficient.

Tim needed a corps to sponsor his efforts...it could have been Crown for all I care. Someone sponsored it. Undeniable.

To me that's hoisting his efforts. To think otherwise is naive at best,

Again, it is not hoisting. That is your own, incorrect assumption. Both Tim and the Blue Stars have said so. Why can't you accept that?

That's odd, cuz I didn't hear a reply from George myself. Once George got the question, he blew Tim off. Not much a fan of narration myself, but if you want to use it thats cool with me. The guy asked a loaded question that was really more of a challenge. He was blunt. Took some stones to do it in that room. No one there wanted to hear it. Probably was the best point he made all weekend.

Again, it is not hoisting. That is your own, incorrect assumption. Both Tim and the Blue Stars have said so. Why can't you accept that?

so it's hoisting...the word...you all don't like the word.

so how about...providing a platform for

or...giving voice to...

or providing a means for

better?

Because that's what I'm getting at. I never alluded that the Blue Stars sought gain from giving Tim the opportunity.

By hoist I meant giving Tim a platform to address the instructors caucus.

Without the signature of a corps director, Tim doesn't get to submit the proposals in the first place.

I do believe Tim should attempt again if he can secure a drector's signature as others have stated. It never hurts to be challenged if you have a strong case.

However, if Tim's intent is to actually change things...he would most likely have to begin with a grassroots effort to build a coalition of instructors to help support or at least help him get his points out there for a more full consideration.

That may have been part of the frustration...some speak as if the instructors caucus didn't give Tim full consideration. I believe that was all that was asked for.