Instructor's caucus

For the record, Tim's directorship and his proposals are tangential to each other. He submitted the proposals as a fan and parent. Subsequently and unrelatedly, because of his broad understanding of all aspects of drum corps along with his long term contribution of substantial personal effort to help the Blue Stars, he was nominated to the board. He continues to do a lot of good work with the corps, all of it unrelated to DCI rulemaking as far as I can tell.

absolutely. tim has always been commited to drum corps since i first knew him (in 1985 no less). As well meant as his proposal are i don't think that anyone (in power that is)is willing to take a step back to the past at this point. I applaud him for all of his work with the blue stars. :shutup: All corps need someone like tim who is dedicated to the activity.

Ask yourself this? Are the proposals that passed the end of the world... I don't really think so. Electronic keyboards were usedon the field as far back as the mid 80's ( with penalty of course) so that is really nothing new.

amplified brass. if that happened maybe we could have heard the last soprano solo of the 87 cadets.

what i'm getting at is that it's just drum corps...relax and enjoy.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amplified brass. if that happened maybe we could have heard the last soprano solo of the 87 cadets.

But that would erase the mystique of that moment. Seeing him play and not hearing him added to the surreality of the corps exiting the field behind him, without trooping.

I saw a marching band do a Bill Chase show. It opened with a trumpet soloist on a ministage, micced, playing the opening to "Get It On" IIRC. The sound was run through a board, giving him lots of reverb (or some kind of effect). It was cool.

But to me, doing so removes the innocence and purity of unaltered acoustic energy coming straight from his bell to my ears. I always looked at drum corps as something a little more pure and innocent. OK, so that's a romantic notion. Sue me.

With the new changes, corps has left that innocence behind. Now, it's more slick and cynical, searching for the newest toy, the easiest edge, the quickest short-cut. But, then maybe it's just mirroring society.

Ah, I'll just watch the 1987 video one more time.

- I never said I agree/disagree.... (and still not indicating)

- I didn't say/mean that.... (without adding what was meant)

The above is usually said in response to you because you constantly twist peoples' words (intentionally) to try and make your points.

Examples of posts that serve only to nullify others:

- You can't prove....

- You can't quantify....

- You have no way of knowing....

- That's only an "opinion", not a "fact"....

- I never said I agree/disagree.... (and still not indicating)

- I didn't say/mean that.... (without adding what was meant)

This sounds like you motis operandi. No opposing viewpoint...just constant nullification.

Wow, this thread actually started out as something worth discussing. Sad that it's deteriorated into a bunch of little kids all trying to have the last word.

I saw a marching band do a Bill Chase show. It opened with a trumpet soloist on a ministage, micced, playing the opening to "Get It On" IIRC. The sound was run through a board, giving him lots of reverb (or some kind of effect). It was cool.

But to me, doing so removes the innocence and purity of unaltered acoustic energy coming straight from his bell to my ears. I always looked at drum corps as something a little more pure and innocent. OK, so that's a romantic notion. Sue me.

Did you see the Freelancers do this intro in 1993, using three soloists to create the "reverb" effect acoustically? That was cool.

Wow, this thread actually started out as something worth discussing. Sad that it's deteriorated into a bunch of little kids all trying to have the last word.

Yeah, thanks for setting such a great example for all us kids.

My analogy still works....The Blue Stars hoisted Tim into the air....he spit...then a mighty wind blew.

Where do you see anything about the Blue Stars hoisting Tim into the air? Tim has said, and the Blue Stars have said that the Blue Stars were merely signing the proposals so they could be submitted. Both stated that was not to be interpreted as an endorsement. But you decide, inspite of the comments from them directly, that Tim is the Blue Stars champion. That is your own, baseless assumption.

Where do you see anything about the Blue Stars hoisting Tim into the air? Tim has said, and the Blue Stars have said that the Blue Stars were merely signing the proposals so they could be submitted. Both stated that was not to be interpreted as an endorsement. But you decide, inspite of the comments from them directly, that Tim is the Blue Stars champion. That is your own, baseless assumption.

Could Tim...without Blue Stars signing the proposals...have submitted them?

That is tantamount to hoisting Tim in the air.