Arnold Schoenberg & George Hopkins

12 tone serialism =NOT= atonality.

All 12 tone serialism is atonal, but not all atonal music is 12-tone. And there are types of serialism that are not 12-tone.

The terms atonal, serialist and 12-tone get thrown around a lot as if they are synonyms.

NBC public service announcement song

**the more you knooow!**

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 tone serialism =NOT= atonality.

All 12 tone serialism is atonal, but not all atonal music is 12-tone. And there are types of serialism that are not 12-tone.

The terms atonal, serialist and 12-tone get thrown around a lot as if they are synonyms.

NBC public service announcement song

**the more you knooow!**

Seriously, he was the father of both. I made a mistake. Sorry I didnt check to proofread the whole #### thing. I was doing a complicated project on his Piano Piece at the time.

You know, for a degree in composition.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

Yeah, they've been almost as boring as Freelancers 83.

For the record, at the moment I cannot remember Freelancers 83 although I have it on video. Just wondering how it feels to hear that though.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Seriously though, I marched Freelancers '83, and I hadn't heard the show for years until today. After the opener, I couldn't wait for it to be over. What were we thinking? How did we place so high? It was fairly clean for the day, but my gosh, I'd rather listen to almost any other year.

Seriously though, I marched Freelancers '83, and I hadn't heard the show for years until today. After the opener, I couldn't wait for it to be over. What were we thinking? How did we place so high? It was fairly clean for the day, but my gosh, I'd rather listen to almost any other year.

I want to see this show now. What was up with this?

The thing about Schoenberg is that he invented new methods for generating and utilizing pitches, but kept writing in an otherwise musically accepted manner throughout his life. Even his own students were unable to do this, and the rest of the world music composition academy ruined his achievements by writing wholly unmusical and impractical atonal compositions.

I can somewhat foresee a similar situation happening in DCI. George Hopkins is a very creative individual with probably more of a clear vision for the future of The Cadets than he lets on. However, in the wrong hands, the allowed use of technology could get ridiculous, preposterous, and away from the traditions of drum corps. I think that technological and artistic developments are great for the activity, and fantastic ideas and entertainment alike can come from their addition. However, I can also see someone going way too far and instead of using the new tools as tastefully integrated parts of a drum corps show, making them the show and having the brass, percussion, and guard secondary. We saw this the past few years in BOA in a couple of bands that placed quite high.

The thing about Schoenberg is that the public never accepted 12-tone music after him, but the academics live for it. This could be reflected in the fans versus the judges. Schoenberg never meant to make 12-tone music about the pitches. The matrices and everything were just a method for the rapid generation of a lot of pitch material, so that he could explore musical ideas without the element of pitch getting in his way. When Alan Forte says we should analyze Schoenberg in terms of pitch, that's just wrong. Unfortunately, other composers having read Forte start to think that way, and we get about 60 years of crap music writing. The point is not to make it about the electronics or the water or the oversized props or whatever, but to use those elements tastefully to complement an otherwise successful and entertaining drum corps.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Yeah, they've been almost as boring as Freelancers 83.

For the record, at the moment I cannot remember Freelancers 83 although I have it on video. Just wondering how it feels to hear that though.

Ouch, I'm in pain. You really hurt my feelings, take it back. Other than former members, who buys historic drum corps DVDs to seek out The Freelancers? Well, anyway, the off the line consisted of two outstanding tunes, Breakin' Up Is Hard To Do and Lover Come Back To Me. A great pair of tunes that were very fun to play. The drum solo had the hornline spinning guard equipment, a disaster. There was a very nice guard feature at the end of the solo though, check it out. The "concert" tune (although we moved most of the time) was a collection of lost Chicago tunes, which should have stayed that way. The closer was Even Now. Since I'm a Barry Manilow fan, I loved it. As for the drill, we weren't cutting edge. I believe the highlight of the season was placing 5th in horns at Finals. Interestingly enough, that line had the defending Soprano I&E champion. Since you were around 8 years old at the time, I'm confident you were not able to see us live.

Just so you don't think I'm a Cadet hater (your polar opposite), I believe the best show in DCI history was The 1984 Garfield Cadets (although 89 SCV was pretty incredible as well). I also hold their 1989 and 2000 shows in the highest regard. For the past several years, I believe they have had the best collection of brass players. I also believe they had the best corps last year and would have won had the show been less offensive.

Hello Bob!

None of this will matter to me. I will be long gone even if others "accept" the changes.

And yet - here you still are.... Sheesh.... :thumbup:

There is the small matter of Schoenberg being, by most accounts, a genius, whereas George is, well, errrr, George.

Nice dissertation though.

Just so you don't think I'm a Cadet hater (your polar opposite), I believe the best show in DCI history was The 1984 Garfield Cadets (although 89 SCV was pretty incredible as well). I also hold their 1989 and 2000 shows in the highest regard. For the past several years, I believe they have had the best collection of brass players. I also believe they had the best corps last year and would have won had the show been less offensive.

Except that they were lowest in guard and percussion performance, and tied BD in Effect.

Except that they were lowest in guard and percussion performance, and tied BD in Effect.

Careful, Mike. you're going to hurt some CMM's feelings by revealing their shortcomings.

:thumbup::biggrin::sigh::sigh::doh:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor