Artsy fartsy?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Color Guard has been Eliminated in favor of the "Visual Dance Ensemble" with all the Props and Costumes of such.

Most of these Highly Trained, and Perform to the Highest Excelance of that, I know.

But they are NOT Color Guards. Not to mention there are no Colors to Guard.

Hear, Hear!!!!

DCI Groups DO NOT use an American section. aka Honor Guard.

And besides. Why would such Great "Visual Dance Ensembles" want to be called , what they are not.

Nothing wrong with likeing what they do today. What they (VDE) do is VERY PROFFESIONAL. Very much of the Highest Quality. Helps bring a show alive! "I just do not call them Color Guards" They are a DANCE Team, with props.

Today's guards perform choreography with weapons and flags. The guards of the 60's and 70's performed choreography with weapons and flags. Stop splitting hairs.

I agree that the sarcasm wasn't necessary, but I also think that it's a misperception (and a conveniently deliberate one, at that) to say that DCP is full of old fogies who are out of touch with modern drum corps. Many of us aren't "out of touch" at all. We simply don't agree with everything that's being done, and are saying so. But I think it's a deflection to insist that when people disagree with something, they must not understand it. Not so.

Didn't you get the memo? If you disagree, you are out of touch. Once this dismissive phrase gets used on you, your argument can be tidily ignored, because, you know, you're out of touch.

It's an old trick, but one that everyone still falls for. They do it in politics all the time. Label the person, then you can dismiss them. It beats having to actually engage in a debate of ideas.

Well, having attended WGI finals last April and then having attended them for many years in the '80s, I can see those '80s guards being every bit as competitive as the current ones. And I also have the DVDs, so it's not at all difficult for me to make comparisons that are not based solely on my memory.

First of all, I can't believe you really think any of those WGI shows from the 80's could compete with todays winter guards. Seriously? You saw Pride last year, and feel that the Skylarks from 81 could hang. Really??? I mean, do you honestly believe that? I just don't think you realize the extent the body work plays in the challenges faced by todays performers. The layered responsibilities are ten fold over what was done back then.

One of the all time great outdoor guards IMO, is the 99 Blue Devils. That guard was standard setting. I think if you really take an objective look at them and analyze all the skills they possess, and then compare it to ANY, of the guards from the 70'sor 80's. The only logical conclusion that you can arrive at, is, that there is no comparison. None! Not in anything! It's checkmate, game over! Warm up the bus. And please, don't tell me they weren't "clean".

Edited by oldtimedrummer

First of all, I can't believe you really think any of those WGI shows from the 80's could compete with todays winter guards. Seriously? You saw Pride last year, and feel that the Skylarks from 81 could hang. Really??? I mean, do you honestly believe that? I just don't think you realize the extent the body work plays in the challenges faced by todays performers. The layered responsibilities are ten fold over what was done back then.

One of the all time great outdoor guards IMO, are the 99 Blue Devils. That guard was standard setting. I think if you really take an objective look at them and analyze all the skills they possess, and then compare it to ANY, of the guards from the 70'sor 80's. The only logical conclusion that you can arrive at, is, that there is no comparison. None! Not in anything! It's checkmate, game over! Warm up the bus.

Cometetively I don't think they could compete today because the judging is geared to modern show design, as is DCI. Question is, how would the crowd reaction compare?

Edited by kusankusho

Cometetively I don't think they could compete today because the judging is geared to modern show design, as is DCI. Question is, how would the crowd reaction compare?

It doesn't have anything to do with geared judging. It's about ACHIEVEMENT! Which group has a greater level of achievement? The judges only react to and reward ACHIEVEMENT. Isn't achievement what drives this activity? I'm sorry, there isn't one color guard from the 70's or 80's (maybe late 80's) that could compete with guards today.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

It doesn't have anything to do with geared judging. It's about ACHIEVEMENT! Which group has a greater level of achievement? The judges only react to and reward ACHIEVEMENT. Isn't achievement what drives this activity? I'm sorry, there isn't one color guard from the 70's or 80's (maybe late 80's) that could compete with guards today.

I don't entirely buy that. SCV got crapped on when they pulled out Fiddler for doing a '70's show in the '90s, or words to that effect. Judges have their idea of what modern units should look like. WGI looks like a lot of dance that the old guards didn't have. All other considerations to one side, that alone would kill them.