Back of the Bus

With all the anger and frustration associated with the rules changes. I figure we need to lighten up a bit... What were some of the stupidest things you saw in the back of the bus on tour... Ya know sleeping in the racks, trying to count every white line on Interstate 80 from the East border to the West border of Indiana. No names please as I am sure most of us are grown up now and may not want to remember. And, if that is too heavy of a subject just explain the dynamics of picking bus seats or just which bus you were on in your corps.

When I was with the LI. Kingsmen Bus 1 was the younger kids, Bus 2 was the horn line and guard. Bus 3 was the drum line and guard. There were some crossovers but not many as the drums always had practice pad duct taped to the back of the seatback in front of them. Hmmmm… How pleasant that must have been. LOL.

The Troopers had Red bus, Blue bus, and Yellow bus. I don’t remember that breakdown but I think Yellow bus was for the younger kids, Red bus was for the drummers and Blue was for the horns. But someone may have to refresh my old ### memory on that one…

Bridgemen? Hmmm... Lets see… I think anything goes there…

How did it work in your corps?

Edited by GaryTrooper

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy almost put his butt thru the window on the way to DCA one year. Him and another guy were mock wrestling and he was standing with his butt leaning on the glass. Too much weight and the glass splintered but the pieces stayed attached to the safety strip in between the two panes of glass.

Well the outside pieces stayed attached until the bus went over a railroad crossing going into NY. Then you heard the pieces hit the road. Still remember one person saying "Well we left half the ####### window in PA". :thumbup:

Personally I turned 21 before we went to New Orleans for American Legion one year. Being legal to drink.... well I just don't remember riding thru Virgina on I-81 on the way home. And that's a good six hours worth of riding. :biggrin:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Bus breakdown at Devs...

The Hound - horn bus "gotta be voted"

Funliner - drum bus

04 - guard bus

Edited by bluublood

The guy that sat in front of me had really long frizzy hair. (it was the 70's) I was bored going through the great state of Iowa and was seeing how close I could get the flame from my bic lighter to his hair and I'm sure you can guess what happened after that.

Back in the day we were permited to smoke on the bus.

One time a guy had to answer the call of Mother Nature on a highway, so we opened one of the bus windows and he took care of business. Next thing we saw was the car behind us turning on its windsheild wipers. True story. :thumbup:

Personally I turned 21 before we went to New Orleans for American Legion one year. Being legal to drink.... well I just don't remember riding thru Virgina on I-81 on the way home. And that's a good six hours worth of riding. :thumbup:

I remember being sixteen and having a free day in New Orleans. My buddies and I devised a plan to buy a bottle of something. We got the person with the best handwriting to write a note saying the bottle was for a parent. I was the fool elected to do the deed. I gave the guy behind the counter the note with a bottle. Looking down at my feet thinking oh #### I am totally bagged on this one… he hands the note back to me and said the price. I about died. Of course this played out as god like abilities to my fellow teens… An un-chaperoned free day in New Orleans with my best buddies… Life was good… About 20 years later I was hired by a guy who grew up in New Orleans and told him of this story. He asked me why did you even bother handing the guy the note? Of course this is totally off topic… So STAY ON TASK!!!!

Edited by GaryTrooper

Lots of time on buses and take public transit. Late 1960’s oldies on bus 1, rookies on bus 2. Early 1970’s, 2 or 3 yellow school buses co-ed. A year or so later, boys in bus 1, girls in bus 2. Took coaches on long trips and she slept in the racks. Bus brakes, she slides 3 seat length down, got wedged in the luggage, took a while to help her out between all the giggling. All girls corps, drums and guard on bus 1, horns on bus 2, staff on bus 3 (sometimes included tables, good for working out design), but they often put me on the other bus ‘cause I was good with a map. Learned lots about bus drivers.

This last summer Michael and I were having a debate about whether we were in the desert or not. We got a little carried away with laughing (it was late and we couldn't tell if the shadows we were seeing were bushes or cacti) and our bus kept breaking down, AND there was no AC on. Michael and I managed to find humor in the situation. The bus captain didn't think it was so funny though that we kept him awake for so long.

We had 2 busses, one night our bus driver decided to pass the other so we had him turn the lights on and we flipped the bird to the other bus, they pass us next and did the same and soon it got pretty rowdy, clothes starting flying off. It ended when the other bus passed us and the only thing going on was top bass drummer, all of 6 foot and 95 pounds buck naked laying across the seats up against the window.