Calling it what it is

I stated that the public would still call it DCI, and when they go to the DCI Regionals or DCI World Championships, they'll still say they're going to DCI.

If they changed the name to Summer Band International and people, those that are still around anyway, would adapt. I very seldom say "sporano" anymore - I'm getting used to saying "trumpet". People adapt.

"Tuba" is taking a little longer, I still say "contra" - but there's usually someone willing to correct me. Change the name of DCI to more hoestly reflect what it has become, people will go along with you eventually. Trust me....

Edited by kusankusho

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps is so much more than the instrumentation. It's the people, the experience, the striving for perfection, the investing of one's sweat and time into making something as perfect as possible.

But most of all, it's the people...the members, the fans, the instructors, the writers, and whatever we all are here on DCP.

I keep seeing this sentiment, and I keep saying the same is true of baseball, martial arts or your local pickup hockey team. These things are not unique to drum corps, so what is it that is (was) unique?

The instrumentation - the style - the sound. All lost to DCI now.....

I keep seeing this sentiment, and I keep saying the same is true of baseball, martial arts or your local pickup hockey team. These things are not unique to drum corps, so what is it that is (was) unique?

The instrumentation - the style - the sound. All lost to DCI now.....

So....

some of us could not participate in baseball, martial arts or hockey at anywhere near the level of excellence or success that we were able to experience in drum corps. That makes the drum corps experience unique for us as former marching members. And, it will continue to make it unique for the future marching members of drum corps.

So....

some of us could not participate in baseball, martial arts or hockey at anywhere near the level of excellence or success that we were able to experience in drum corps. That makes the drum corps experience unique for us as former marching members. And, it will continue to make it unique for the future marching members of drum corps.

And - some of us might be better at karate than we are at playing a baritone. Everyone has their own talent but may participate in a range of activities. Because you are better at one and I am better at another does not elevate either to a higher status and does not establish the definition of that activity.

And - some of us might be better at karate than we are at playing a baritone. Everyone has their own talent but may participate in a range of activities. Because you are better at one and I am better at another does not elevate either to a higher status and does not establish the definition of that activity.

But it does elevate it to a status that is unique and special in our hearts, as evidenced that we're chatting about this on Drum Corps Planet and not Karate Planet.

If they changed the name to Summer Band International and people, those that are still around anyway, would adapt. I very seldom say "sporano" anymore - I'm getting used to saying "trumpet". People adapt.

"Tuba" is taking a little longer, I still say "contra" - but there's usually someone willing to correct me. Change the name of DCI to more hoestly reflect what it has become, people will go along with you eventually. Trust me....

But why should the name be changed to satisfy those who don't think it is drum corps anymore over those who still believe it is drum corps and will always know it as such?

If you're truly adapting to saying "trumpet," why not also adapt to calling DCI "DCI" with the trumpets and tubas?

I just see no reason for any consideration of a name change, going back to my argument about the NAACP not changing its name for many of the same reasons...including branding in the marketplace of human awareness.

But it does elevate it to a status that is unique and special in our hearts, as evidenced that we're chatting about this on Drum Corps Planet and not Karate Planet.

Do you think there are no martial arts websites, chatrooms or Facebook groups anywhere on the net Michael? Drum corps never comes up as a topic of interest in any of them.....

Don't see the point Mike as there probably is the equivilant of a Karate Planet or at least Karate newsgroups out there. Point is, this just happens to be our niche. And probably on the Karate newgroups people are getting worked up over changes being made.

Yes DC is unique in the experience people receive from it. But I'm very glad I was in it when it was unique in ways that the non-member could see and hear and not just "more intense" or "better experience" which are very subjective.

LOL, Jim (Kusan) was posting as I was typing... :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

But why should the name be changed to satisfy those who don't think it is drum corps anymore over those who still believe it is drum corps and will always know it as such?

If you're truly adapting to saying "trumpet," why not also adapt to calling DCI "DCI" with the trumpets and tubas?

I just see no reason for any consideration of a name change, going back to my argument about the NAACP not changing its name for many of the same reasons...including branding in the marketplace of human awareness.

First off, it's not just me, as evidenced by Hoppy's email to Drumcorpsfan. A BOD member thinks it isn't drum corps anymore. Realistically, it's lost the character that made it unique, it is in fact not that different from band now.

When I'm adapting to call a soprano a trumpet, and a contra a tuba, I'm adapting to the truth of the situation vis. the key of the instrument. It has taken a little getting used to but I'm pretty much there. DCI should be able to do what I have done, recognize that the changes they have enacted have moved drum corps so close to the genre of band as to be indistinguishable from it (Hoppy knows it's true) and then have the simple honesty to call it as such. They say they are courting the band member demographic, after all. What is DCI afraid of losing simply by telling the truth of what they have become?

EDIT - I've done some checking and there is considerable discussion over the idea of NAACP changing it's name. Some say it is outmoded and not reflective of current socially accepted norms or reality....

Edited by kusankusho

LOL, Jim (Kusan) was posting as I was typing... :thumbup:

You know what great minds do, Jim..... :shutup: