Calling it what it is

I think the name change will happen within about 5 years. DCI ensembles won't be referring to themselves as "drum corps" long after that. Not that it matters at all. Either you like it, or you don't, no matter what it's called. Very simple.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns in karate competitions? I think the satire is lost on me.

It's a very apt and straightforward analogy Michael. I can't believe you don't "get" it. My suspicion is that it's a line of discussion you know you can't really argue your way out of and would rather leave alone.

I still hold that what divides fans isn't as great as what unites us.

Sounds good until you realize a person can be only considered a fan if they continue to come to shows and support the corps. So, intended or not, this statement disregards any former fans.

Would be like a group splitting up over differences and the people who are left saying "Everyone here is happy, so no problems".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Once instruments other than drums were added, it ceased being a drum corps.

Therefore, it should have never been called a drum corps.

Therefore, DCI never really existed.

:tongue:

Drum Coprs was short for Drum ane Bugle Corps, which was very appropiate.

Its like calling Coca Cola Coke

...you support all the huge changes that effectively destroy what many people think makes the activity unique, but you balk at changing the name? So this is the only thing that can't change for the 'modernization and progress'...

Ain't that the truth :tongue:

Why should they? Nothing wrong with doing it within DCI, esp if some DCI ensembles want to go that route.

We used to call those ensembles "drum and bugle corps." I'm glad someone recognizes that they are not.

A different Michael replying....

Since DCI is not 'destroying' anything, why should the name be changed?

Since they are ensembles, not drum and bugle corps. That's why.

Guns in karate competitions? I think the satire is lost on me.

It's a perfect analogy. Drum corps continues to add the elements of another activity such that it becomes the other activity, but wants to still call itself drum corps.

If karate (unamped weapons, if you will) adds guns (amped weapons), would anyone still call it karate? Not a chance.

I think the name change will happen within about 5 years. DCI ensembles won't be referring to themselves as "drum corps" long after that. Not that it matters at all. Either you like it, or you don't, no matter what it's called. Very simple.

Agreed. We've already seen the subtle changes going on, with the change of contra and sopranoes to tuba and trumpets, respectively, the staff is now calling themselves called "faculty".