Calling it what it is

Once instruments other than drums were added, it ceased being a drum corps.

Therefore, it should have never been called a drum corps.

Therefore, DCI never really existed.

:thumbup:

Now I'm in an existential quagmire. That means I don't really exist and I wasn't really in Pasadena in August. Well, I was there, but what was everyone else doing there? If I fall in the forest and the bear in the woods doesn't hear me, is the Pope still Catholic? I'm confused now. Someone please point me towards a swami. Either that or my chakras have come unbalanced. I need an e-meter reading fast.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm in an existential quagmire. That means I don't really exist and I wasn't really in Pasadena in August. Well, I was there, but what was everyone else doing there? If I fall in the forest and the bear in the woods doesn't hear me, is the Pope still Catholic? I'm confused now. Someone please point me towards a swami. Either that or my chakras have come unbalanced. I need an e-meter reading fast.

That's OK Michael, according to quantum physics we create our own reality anyway, so if you want DCI to exist you can go down that rabbit hole. :thumbup:

Is everyone confused now? That's good...

From a sales and marketing point of view, the term "drum corps" has been a difficult one to explain and sell over the years - especially to the general public. If someone had been thinking about such things back in 1972, they may have come up with a different term.

However, for those of us who are engaged, the terms "drum corps", "DCI" and "Drum Corps International" are very solid terms representing a "brand name" of an activity and experience. These terms have a large amount of meaning to us and act as short hand as we talk to each other.

Saying I marched drum corps to someone who knows what that means brings a significant level of understanding without having to say anything more.

The current terminology has value and does not need to be changed.

That's OK Michael, according to quantum physics we create our own reality anyway, so if you want DCI to exist you can go down that rabbit hole. :thumbup:

Is everyone confused now? That's good...

Oh, I want DCI to exist. I have all these business cards that would be no good. Come to think of it, they'll be outdated when the office moves to Indianapolis. Maybe the move isn't a reality but the quagmire is. I'm a vegetarian. What would I want with rabbits? I can't eat them and they would probably rip me apart. Maybe that's part of the existential plan. I think I think, therefore I think I am, I think.

I need some pizza.

Well this conversation has taken a decidedly odd turn. Just when I thought I had Michael on the ropes about the karate thing too. Hmmmmmm.....

Well this conversation has taken a decidedly odd turn. Just when I thought I had Michael on the ropes about the karate thing too. Hmmmmmm.....

There are no ropes to be on in karate. You're confusing my extistential angst over quantum physics with Bluecoats' upcoming show about boxing. Don't fret; it happens all the time.

Dragonflies?

Sauteed, with a little garlic and parsley sauce mousseline on the side.

(Open door, close door, walk through essence of door, provoke essence of door, evaporate at room temperature.)

Does what we call it matter?

Not so much.

Does the instrumentation matter?

Yes. To me, it is what makes drum & bugle corps uniquely exciting, and there is no substitute.

In terms of "making the world a better place," isn't the competitive outcome really insignificant?

Does "summer marching musical activities on a football field" really matter at all, regardless of the moniker under which it's marketed?

Right now, it does. There don't seem to be enough "fanbase" people to support summer marching band as a touring entity. That's a big issue, and one that can't be ignored by either side of this debate. Morphing DCI into marching band right now would kill it off. That's a lose-lose proposition, whether you're a fan of "drum & bugle corps" or "marching music".

Maybe at some future date, there will be sufficient fan support to make a touring summer marching band circuit viable. After all, we have 50 times as many kids in competitive MB vs. corps right now. Twenty years from now, with those people in the audience base, it could be a whole different story.

Isn't it more about the way that the "drum corps experience" or in this case, participation in a DCI-brand drum corps, changes the life of the participant? The spectator? The family that supports the performer?

Yes and no. Of course, those things are important, and add deep significance to the activity. But there are a number of youth activities that have the "experience" components, whether it be marching, music, touring, the mental intensity, the physical endurance, the discipline....

If we're not a part of the solution, we're a part of the problem.

So... how do we become a part of the solution? What is the solution?

I don't think it's about wearing snarky t-shirts, nor do I think it's about boycotting anything or calling for a public lynching.

With the amount of passionate discourse spewed forth in this place every day, it seems that there is plenty of brainpower that could be organized to do something positive.

Personally, I think the solution is for those interested in summer marching band to go make it happen - outside of DCI. And I have suggested it numerous times here on DCP.

If (or when) there is sufficient interest in summer marching band to make it happen, a separate agency should be formed to promote and serve it, like DCI does for drum corps. The band circuit could even partner with DCI to stage joint events and share resources to whatever extent both circuits deem mutually beneficial. No infighting over money or governance, and no 15-year repetitive rule change proposals to slow down the progress of the band effort. And no destruction of the unique activity that we still call drum corps. Sounds like a solution to me.

Within two days of this post, however, someone will be replying with vague excuses as to why this solution is no good, and that we should morph DCI into a band circuit instead - or create a separate division within DCI for bands. Well, DCI already tried that in 1999. It didn't work, and it never will - there's only room for one division to thrive (or even obtain any kind of membership) under DCI's governance structure.

Basically, it comes down to two options. Band advocates can wait for 20 years, commandeer DCI for their purposes, and destroy drum corps in the process - or they can create instead of destroying, build their own agency, promote summer marching band much sooner, and quite likely achieve better results.

One reason there is no longer a BOA Summer Nationals marching band championship is that band directors, being in the classroom most of the year and having to start putting together a fall show quite soon enough (even if the summer show is the same as the fall show), don't want to do band year-round. I wrote the music for the final band to win the Summer Nationals in Whitewater and the director was very happy he didn't have to do that again.