Calling it what it is

I guess because it's wrong. There were distinct differences that are disappearing. If I played you a CD of Madison Scouts, and then one of the UCLA Trojans, do you think you could notice a difference?

You could say the same of karate classes or girl guides. They are all great in themselves and all have a personal value attached depending on how much we each enjoyed being part of it. That is not, however, the thing that makes drum corps unique any more than the level of excellence is.

I also remember when you could tell the identity of a corps by how they sounded, even without a uniform. Much of that is gone these days as well... but I try to understand the reasons for that, and I've opted to continue to take my vacation to follow this crazy traveling circus around the country. Some of my friends have decided not to. To your point, yes, the differences continue to disappear. I don't think there's any way to avoid that.

If you ask 100 people what makes drum corps unique, you'll get some overlap and then many different PERSONAL attributes which have been assigned to the experience. I'm not sure that anyone can definitively define what "IT" is since "IT" means different things to each of us. Therein, in my opinion, lies the conundrum. Or the enigma. Wrapped in a riddle.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also remember when you could tell the identity of a corps by how they sounded, even without a uniform.

I agree and lament that as well, but not to the degree that I lament this latest round of change.

Aren't you evading the point ever so slightly?

And what point would that be?

You mentioned that if General Motors stopped making cars, their name would be pointless, and I replied they could just go by GM and it wouldn't matter...just like those other examples I cited.

Drum corps stopped being drum corps when they made us stop hanging our banners in the backfield stands at nats.

You mentioned that if General Motors stopped making cars, their name would be pointless, and I replied they could just go by GM and it wouldn't matter...just like those other examples I cited.

Then let me reiterate since we seem to get lost in rhetoric and semantics so easily in this thread - Drum Corps International should change it's name because it's no longer drum corps. I like Marching Arts International (MIA) personally. Seems very appropriate.

Heh!

But look at it this way - the name General Motors is established and valuable. If they got out of the car busness and started making refrigerators the name would really be meaningless.

And the refrigerators would probably break down a lot...

There is a GMAC Mortgage Company but haven't found out what GMAC stands for....

More than a little wierd writing checks every month to "GMAC" for my Saturn and "GMAC Mortgage" for the house. Far as I know I never switched checks... :laughing:

Actually I was careful to say General Motors in anticipation of this kind of sophistry.

I guess because it's wrong. There were distinct differences that are disappearing. If I played you a CD of Madison Scouts, and then one of the UCLA Trojans, do you think you could notice a difference?

You said "UCLA Trojans." Heh.

You can change the name to Fred, but the public will still call it DCI.

No they won't. The public will call it a marching band, because the public doesn't know what it is. And, apparently, neither do we.