Calling it what it is

...It's not a definition, it's a cut and paste from a (kumbaya-esque) recruiting brochure.

I also write for a variety of cults. That's why I'm known as "The Pen of Personality."

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also write for a variety of cults. That's why I'm known as "The Pen of Personality."

Well you do have that "disseminating the message of the master" thing down pretty well. :grouphug:

Maybe you missed your calling and should have been a White House press secretary taking those reporter scrums.... "Yes, we did drop a nuclear bomb on innocent civilians today, but the bomb was state of the art, painted a nice shade of green and the bomber flight crew all get along really well!" :worthy:

There's nothing wrong with screwing up an entire art form? :grouphug:

Cue the standard "they aren't screwing up anything" response because of course, everything DCI does is perfection. [/sarcasm]

art form???

pretty pretencious for a bunch of kids keeing busy for the summer

I mean...most of the folks on here arguing on here also miss those local little corps from the 1950s and 1960s. It wasn't an "art form" they were marching in. Talk about wanting it both ways.

By the way...art has NEVER been stagnant. Art is one of the most fluid of all disciplines.

QUOTE (whitedawn @ Feb 11 2008, 01:46 PM)

there's no cocaine in coca-cola anymore.

there's not much "foot" in football.

egg creams contain neither egg nor cream.

why mess with a good thing?

All true....

In context, not true at all.

If there was another cola maker who wanted to market cocaine coke, they would certainly point out Coca Cola's hypocrisy...

There is foot in football, as admitted.

Somebody certainly sells real egg creams, and markets exactly that way.

What is bizaare, is seeing all the DCI status-quo defenders in this thread, argue "what does it really matter what equipment is used? because they cannot defend the continued used of the term drum corps..

If the equipment etc isn't really important - return the activity to actual bugles and marching drums and color guard.

I'm holding my breath, hypocrites...

Edited by GuyW

Somebody certainly sells real egg creams, and markets exactly that way.

Not to detract from the sentiment of your post, but this needs to be said. If somebody actually put eggs or cream in an egg cream, they'd be crucified by the Yiddish cavalry. The egg cream has always been seltzer, chocolate syrup, and milk. That's a real egg cream.

Back to the name debate. I think DCI should be called dragonflies, as I said earlier.

What is bizaare, is seeing all the DCI status-quo defenders in this thread, argue "what does it really matter what equipment is used? because they cannot defend the continued used of the term drum corps..

If the equipment etc isn't really important - return the activity to actual bugles and marching drums and color guard.

I'm holding my breath, hypocrites...

Hypocrites? Isn't that going WAY too far?

I've defended the use of the word drum corps ad nauseum. What do you mean "because they cannot defend the continued use[d] of the term drum corps?" We have defended the use of the name because we believe it is just and absolutely unneccessary to change it. And because there isn't a snowball's chance in Las Vegas of the name being changed because of any particular instrumentation. If it's changed, it will be a marketing move, not because some feel the name no longer represents what they perceive is drum corps.

And if equipment isn't important, why return it just to a place in time that one is most comfortable with? Why not return it to a place in time when there was no color guard, when the guard was just the American section? How do we pick that point in time without someone calling one a hypocrite?

Not to detract from the sentiment of your post, but this needs to be said. If somebody actually put eggs or cream in an egg cream, they'd be crucified by the Yiddish cavalry. The egg cream has always been seltzer, chocolate syrup, and milk. That's a real egg cream.

Back to the name debate. I think DCI should be called dragonflies, as I said earlier.

I'll readily admit that I don't know anything about egg creams...

"Dragonflies" I could get behind. But how would we put the "D" in "Dragonflies" like we put the "I" in "DCI" whenever a foreign corps (dragonfly) comes over to perform in America?

I'll readily admit that I don't know anything about egg creams...

That's good, because you wouldn't want anyone to call you a hypocrite. :)