Calling it what it is

No, I don't. Seriously. I was saying I am sure you have given the answer in another thread (or I am guessing) but would rather not go back and find it.

OK - then for me the break point was amplified voice. I see no need for amping the pit but I can live with it even though it breaks the "accoustic barrier" - singing and narration are just unneccessary cheese. That's where it crossed the line into band.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - then for me the break point was amplified voice. I see no need for amping the pit but I can live with it even though it breaks the "accoustic barrier" - singing and narration are just unneccessary cheese. That's where it crossed the line into band.

So if and when woodwinds get added will it be super band then?

It may not be d & bc to you anymore, but to me the glaring difference is the lack of ww.

Okay, just a little question here to help me understand where others are coming from.

I think we can all agree that marching bands are not drum corps. But, are drum corps a certain type of marching band?

Yep, just like the Mummers in Philly, bagpipe bands, Shriners Oriental bands (if they still exist) and whatever US Army group it was that would do an M&M with music show at Landover, MD and other places (forget the name :worthy: ).

All MBs, yet all unique... :grouphug:

So if and when woodwinds get added will it be super band then?

It may not be d & bc to you anymore, but to me the glaring difference is the lack of ww.

To MikeD it will still be drum corps even then. We all have different lines in the sand, I guess. For some it was Bb.

If ww are introduced, would that be a point where you would stop calling it drum corps and start calling it band?

To MikeD it will still be drum corps even then. We all have different lines in the sand, I guess. For some it was Bb.

If ww are introduced, would that be a point where you would stop calling it drum corps and start calling it band?

Maybe. I will decide if/when the time comes. I am guessing I will not care so much about what it is called and will just go and enjoy it.

By the way, my question had nothing to do with MikeD.

Maybe. I will decide if/when the time comes. I am guessing I will not care so much about what it is called and will just go and enjoy it.

By the way, my question had nothing to do with MikeD.

I know. That reference was just to draw comparisons.

They are both marching music, but different enough as to be distinct. Again - TaeKwonDo and Goju Ryu are both martial arts, TaKwonDo is not Goju Ryu.

Yes, but that's missing the point of my question, so please let me word it differently.

Is drum corps a subset of marching band?

Marching bands are not drum corps. But are drum corps A FORM of marching bands?

Perhaps what we currently know as marching bands should be further clarified to separate the competition-type and football halftime ensembles from other forms of marching bands, such as military pageantry ensembles.

So, IS drum corps a form of marching band? And if so, should we be rejoice in that?

So, IS drum corps a form of marching band? And if so, should we be rejoice in that?

If we say that marching band = all integers and drum corps = positive even integers, then yes, drum corps would be a subset of marching band.

If we say that marching band = all integers and drum corps = positive even integers, then yes, drum corps would be a subset of marching band.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Ten-yard penalty for bringing math into this. :)