Calling it what it is

there's not much "foot" in football.

Actually, I have always wondered how football got its name, especially when there was a sport already called football. :tongue:

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting to be your favourite line. It's in everything you post. DCI and Hoppy are infallible to you. You leap to their defence and agree with all they spew. The only thing you are mad at DCI about is not allowing ww earlier.

Come on Mike - the rest of the people on this forum can read your posts and put two and two together. Please don't insult our collective intelligence with another "where have I ever said that?" post, OK? It rings very hollow. File it with the "there, I fixed it for you" responses...

I will continue when you just plain make up stuff and then attribute it to me...as you did in this very post above.

You stop posting lies and I'll stop asking where you saw them.

I will continue when you just plain make up stuff and then attribute it to me...as you did in this very post above.

You stop posting lies and I'll stop asking where you saw them.

Take a look at your post history and try to tell me you're not a Hoppy supporter. This should be amusing.

And then, Mr. Moderator, you can aplogise for calling me a liar.

egg creams contain neither egg nor cream.

The whale shark is neither a whale nor a shark.

The internal combustable engine is neither internal nor combustable.

Greenland is covered with ice, iceland is green

Someone, stop the madness!!!!!! :tongue:

Folks, changing the name isn't going to EVER happen. Unless the "DCI" name becomes somehow less valuable, it's staying.

NEMC = National Association of Music Educators

Coca~Cola used to be short for cocaine. There's no more cocaine in Coca~Cola, right?

The acronym is too valuable, and too recognizable to ever be dropped. Even if, FSM forbid, DCI is wholly integrated into MusicForAll (which didn't really drop "BoA", did it!), you'll still find that "DCI" is the summer division. Not because it *is* drum corps (proper), but because it *was* drum corps (proper). What it has morphed into isn't really the key. There are lots of things that are mis-named. But when you own a name that is valuable, you don't flush it.

Thus, while I think the ol' phartes have a point insofar as it is quickly becoming less and less accurate, the brand name is non-negotiable. I think that's Mike's point, and I think the karate reference was, in retrospect, rather Boo-focused. I can't say I blame the guy for being angry, even if the analogy is poignant.

Yes, but I think we would all agree that Coca-cola has a little more name recognition around than DCI.

All true. But then again:

BankAmericard became Visa (when they went international)

Poppin' Fresh Pies became Bakers Square Restaurants (when they added a full menu)

Datsun became Nissan (not sure why)

All well-built brand names that were changed and succeeded even more. Just sayin' that it works both ways .... :tongue:

Cingular is the new AT&T. :dancin:

The whale shark is neither a whale nor a shark.

The internal combustable engine is neither internal nor combustable.

Greenland is covered with ice, iceland is green

Someone, stop the madness!!!!!! :dancin:

A Whale Shark is a shark, which makes it a fish. It is not a whale, which would make it a mammal, if it was a whale.

Either way, it's still freakin' huge. And it's name is an oxymoron.

Oh, and I do get your point. :tongue:

Color guards don't guard colors, drums are now percussion. It is just a name. No reason to change it unless DCI wants to.

What's in a name? A rose is still a rose. So, if FredD wants to call it DCI, he can call it DCI. It's just a name.

A Whale Shark is a shark, which makes it a fish. It is not a whale, which would make it a mammal, if it was a whale.

Either way, it's still freakin' huge. And it's name is an oxymoron.

Oh, and I do get your point. :tongue:

But.........

a shark is not a fish. :dancin:

But.........

a shark is not a fish. :tongue:

Why is this starting to sound like

?