Calling it what it is

I know you don't agree - what I don't know is how you intend to refute the martial arts analogy. It's always amazing how a discussion suddenly becomes a waste of time when faced with a difficult problem to overcome.

From an earlier response.

<<Well, it is happening. There are different parent organizations in the United States and they don't agree on some of the maneuvers within the basic forms that are taught, and the forms have even changed over time. Go to a competition and you'll see the forms delivered differently depending the school in one was taught.

If one doesn't like how one school (or certification agency) is teaching a form, they can transfer to another school that meets their desires.>>

I still think that was an answer to your question, even though it wasn't directed to someone else's questions.

Nothing I say in this regards will thoroughly satisfy what you want. I accept that and will also accept an invitation to sit down with you over a glass of tepid Canadian beer should I ever be kicked out of the United States, which might happen any day now.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would we change the name, when the brand is built already?

there's no cocaine in coca-cola anymore.

there's not much "foot" in football.

egg creams contain neither egg nor cream.

why mess with a good thing?

All true. But then again:

BankAmericard became Visa (when they went international)

Poppin' Fresh Pies became Bakers Square Restaurants (when they added a full menu)

Datsun became Nissan (not sure why)

All well-built brand names that were changed and succeeded even more. Just sayin' that it works both ways .... :tongue:

No - years ago it was drum corps and deserved to be called drum corps. Now it is not.

Even if you feel that way, what does it have to do with shows, performers, etc from decades ago?

All true. But then again:

BankAmericard became Visa (when they went international)

Poppin' Fresh Pies became Bakers Square Restaurants (when they added a full menu)

Datsun became Nissan (not sure why)

All well-built brand names that were changed and succeeded even more. Just sayin' that it works both ways .... :tongue:

Good points, and all deserve a reply...

When BA went international, they wanted to be international, not Americard. That's a value decision.

Does "Poppin' Fresh Restaurants" make sense? Nope. But I bet they sell "Poppin' Fresh Pies" at the restaurant, yes?

Datsun was a name that became synonymous with poor quality and cheap construction. That change was because their name was a drag on their business. If anything, that's the opposite of what "DCI" embodies, which is excellence and drum corps.

Thus, while I think the ol' phartes have a point insofar as it is quickly becoming less and less accurate, the brand name is non-negotiable. I think that's Mike's point, and I think the karate reference was, in retrospect, rather Boo-focused. I can't say I blame the guy for being angry, even if the analogy is poignant.

Usually, I think the world needs to be MORE Boo-focused. :)

They've already done it within DCI, and no DCI ensembles chose to go that route.

Until some do, it will not change. All of this is because apparently there is at least some interest by a couple of world corps. I dont' see it as all that near, but I think at some point it will happen. Just MHO.

Until some do, it will not change. All of this is because apparently there is at least some interest by a couple of world corps. I dont' see it as all that near, but I think at some point it will happen. Just MHO.

OK, I'll bite. What would it take, Mike, for a corps to officially convert? Assuming that DCI will accommodate a division just for the corps-turned-bands, what's the catalyst? You have my interest piqued. Do tell.

It's a perfect analogy. Drum corps continues to add the elements of another activity such that it becomes the other activity, but wants to still call itself drum corps.

If karate (unamped weapons, if you will) adds guns (amped weapons), would anyone still call it karate? Not a chance.

Color guards don't guard colors, drums are now percussion. It is just a name. No reason to change it unless DCI wants to.

why would we change the name, when the brand is built already?

there's no cocaine in coca-cola anymore.

there's not much "foot" in football.

egg creams contain neither egg nor cream.

why mess with a good thing?

And Ladyfingers do not contain....lady fingers, at least since Papa Doc's days in Haiti. :tongue: