Calling it what it is

All true. But then again:

BankAmericard became Visa (when they went international)

Poppin' Fresh Pies became Bakers Square Restaurants (when they added a full menu)

Datsun became Nissan (not sure why)

All well-built brand names that were changed and succeeded even more. Just sayin' that it works both ways .... :dancin:

And in England, what is called Milky Way in the US is a Mars Bar over there.

As long as they don't call M&M's...W&W's...I guess it's OK. :tongue:

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points, and all deserve a reply...

When BA went international, they wanted to be international, not Americard. That's a value decision.

Does "Poppin' Fresh Restaurants" make sense? Nope. But I bet they sell "Poppin' Fresh Pies" at the restaurant, yes?

Datsun was a name that became synonymous with poor quality and cheap construction. That change was because their name was a drag on their business. If anything, that's the opposite of what "DCI" embodies, which is excellence and drum corps.

Exactly my point (I think :dancin: ). There are reasons to switch names and reasons not to. Companies give up well-established brand names thru mergers all the time -- Standard Oil begot Amoco begot BP. Nothing wrong with the earlier names, just on to bigger and better things (they hope!!!). I just gave a few off the top of my head examples -- I don't really care about this topic one way or the other, just pointing out that for all the examples of companies that stayed with names that don't really make sense anymore, there are those that changed names that still made perfect sense. It's no more valid to say that changing an established brand name is necessarily a bad idea than it is to say that a name should be changed simply because it doesn't exactly match its product anymore. I daresay that if DCI WERE to change its name (for whatever reason), 10 years down the road, folks would be stating why it was the right thing to do just like you did above. (value judgement, more encompassing product, etc.). Or if they keep it the same, that's okay, too for the reasons already stated (brand name recognition, history/tradition, etc) :tongue:

Folks, changing the name isn't going to EVER happen. Unless the "DCI" name becomes somehow less valuable, it's staying.

In all seriousness, I don't expect it to change because there is a potential monetary advantage. I'm saying in the interests of honesty, it should change. It won't.....

I think the karate reference was, in retrospect, rather Boo-focused. I can't say I blame the guy for being angry, even if the analogy is poignant.

It was Boo-focused, because as a fellow martial artist I know he understands what that whole analogy meant, how it applies, and why it is correct. It's not in his best interest to admit it, but I know if he's had any training at all in the traditions and history of his martial art, he understands its application to DCI and it's just a little evasive to pretend otherwise.

Even if you feel that way, what does it have to do with shows, performers, etc from decades ago?

It was in response to you saying this....

Because for some it seems that what we call it now changes what it was years ago. That sounds silly to me.

What has happened now does not detract from what was, just from what is. It was drum corps then, not now.

Um....yes it is...it's called Drum Corps International. Those that compete there are drum corps.

Mike - your hero Hoppy says it's not drum corps anymore. I know you won't believe me, but the great and majestic Hoppy is never wrong in your book....

It was in response to you saying this....

What has happened now does not detract from what was, just from what is. It was drum corps then, not now.

Because of electronic instruments? Voice? ????

I know you may have given your answer to this elsewhere, but I am actually curious.

Because of electronic instruments? Voice? ????

I know you may have given your answer to this elsewhere, but I am actually curious.

If you already know the answer, why ask?

Really? As I asked Ken, where have I ever said that?

This is getting to be your favourite line. It's in everything you post. DCI and Hoppy are infallible to you. You leap to their defence and agree with all they spew. The only thing you are mad at DCI about is not allowing ww earlier.

Come on Mike - the rest of the people on this forum can read your posts and put two and two together. Please don't insult our collective intelligence with another "where have I ever said that?" post, OK? It rings very hollow. File it with the "there, I fixed it for you" responses...