Predictions for Open Class Finals

Dutch Boy's 2007 season was great, but don't mislabel the Spirit of Disney Award as an award for "Best Show Design," because it isn't.
Then what is it ?
An award for the most entertaining corps that represents the spirit and values of Walt Disney.

My apologies, I stand corrected. I misunderstood the category.

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI has Legends listed as an exhibition corps so unless things are changing with that, that's where they should be. Yamato is up for review and could stir the pot. Lest we forget the Capital Sound of 2007 was under mostly new staff and new corps director, so while the previous acheivements can only be used to predict so far...last year's acheivements are more likely to be a measuring stick of future showings. I'm finding myself quite surprised at all the love VK is getting with being predicted into a lot of "finals." Yes, they had a good showing last year, but it was only their first year, and just because they share a name with a corps that everyone loves, let us not assume it is the exact same corps because it is a "re-birth" if you want to go so far.

That being said, "Open Class" (bump that, it's still II/III in my eyes) will be some great competition as it usually is. And I for one am looking forward to a great summer.

Edited by i heard from someone

DCI has Legends listed as an exhibition corps so unless things are changing with that, that's where they should be. Yamato is up for review and could stir the pot. Lest we forget the Capital Sound of 2007 was under mostly new staff and new corps director, so while the previous acheivements can only be used to predict so far...last year's acheivements are more likely to be a measuring stick of future showings. I'm finding myself quite surprised at all the love VK is getting with being predicted into a lot of "finals." Yes, they had a good showing last year, but it was only their first year, and just because they share a name with a corps that everyone loves, let us not assume it is the exact same corps because it is a "re-birth" if you want to go so far.

That being said, "Open Class" (bump that, it's still II/III in my eyes) will be some great competition as it usually is. And I for one am looking forward to a great summer.

I think most of the buzz this year regarding VK is about their camp photos that show them with a corps 30 members larger than last year... not memories of shows over a decade ago.

I was able to attend a VK camp a few weeks back, as they rehearse but 2 blocks from my home in Pasadena. I also stopped by an Impulse rehearsal about that same time.

VK had 17 brass, 4 guard, a full battery and 4 pit. Were out on the football field learning drill (gotta love sunny So Cal!).

Impulse had 25 brass, a full battery and pit and 10 guard. They were working on opener in an arc when I passed by. It was also a sunny So Cal day!

I havent had the chance to visit Gold, Yamato or Mystakal yet or even Pacific Crest, but will try.

My 10 yr old step-son is doing BDC this year, and our first event with them is March 15. Needless to say, he's excited (ok, Mom and I are too!).

Pat

I was able to attend a VK camp a few weeks back, as they rehearse but 2 blocks from my home in Pasadena. I also stopped by an Impulse rehearsal about that same time.

VK had 17 brass, 4 guard, a full battery and 4 pit. Were out on the football field learning drill (gotta love sunny So Cal!).

Impulse had 25 brass, a full battery and pit and 10 guard. They were working on opener in an arc when I passed by. It was also a sunny So Cal day!

I havent had the chance to visit Gold, Yamato or Mystakal yet or even Pacific Crest, but will try.

My 10 yr old step-son is doing BDC this year, and our first event with them is March 15. Needless to say, he's excited (ok, Mom and I are too!).

Pat

oh dang, so cal corps already learning drill?! My corps is falling behind then......but we sound great at least. :doh:

Check our website-

http://www.legendspaa.org

Pat

actually we had 22 brass, full battery including 3 snares shadowing and 2 basses shadowing, 6 guard members, 6 pit members and 5 cymbals at our last camp.

james teubner

2008 VK Trumpet Section

Disclaimer!!This is Completely unbiased, regardless of where and if I march has nothing to do with my opinion.

Top 3- This is going to be a huge battle for first between the three of these corps.

1.Jersey Surf- Strong Program coming out of last year, can only expect the best from them. Also a crowd favorite.

2. Teal Sound- Great improvements have been made of the last couple of years.

3. Oregon Crusaders- Massive improvements between this year and last year, amazing staff this year.

4th through 7th- These could go either way

4. Spartans- Coming off a championship year already creates high expectations, I don't think they will loose too much.

5. Memphis- Same as above

6. BDB- They never fail to create a great show, but with new competition who knows where they will go

7. Vangaurd Cadets- Same as above

8th through 12th

8. VK- They are going to be the comeback "kid" this year, but this is all based on a gut feeling

9. Fever- Still red hot but will loose a little bit of their power.

10. Dutch Boy- Tough competition, building still, but will be great.

11 and 12. Tie between Impulse and Revolution- They will be good but barely good enough

Remember this is my opinion and because we are so early in the season it's hard too tell.

Do you think the more full corps (Spartans, Teal, Memphis, etc) will be scored higher than the smaller Open Class corps (Dutch Boy, VK, etc)? I'm just wondering if the size of the corps will have any influence on placement

nope...there were smaller corps last year beating larger corps all summer. even div III corps scoring higher than div II corps. a hornline that was twice the size of a second one got 5 pointed in a single competition (which was funny cause the larger hornline was cracking jokes about the smaller one...wonder if they saw that score sheet?)