Drum line numbers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--

No actually, it sounded like a 5 man snareline. They played on plastic heads that sounded horrible and dirty no matter how clean they were. Any time the hornline was playing even at MP they were drowned out.

As far as this thread is concerned, I agree with the 9-5-5 ratio. There have been very few clean 10 person snare lines in DCI, probably the best one ever was 94 BD. Interestingly enough probably the second best 10 man snare line ever (you could easily argue it was the best ever) was 86 BD. Scouts in mid 90's suffered from lines that were too big IMO. Honorable mention goes to 95 VK, I think they had 10 and that was a sick line.

Interesting perspective. I marched 90 Cadets, 10 snares, we won perc with a 19.7...didn't turn out too bad. Even outscored BD 86. BD 94 had 10, had a 9.8 on the field. There have been LOTS of killer 10 man snare lines out there over the years. You must not have checked out 27th in the early 80s. SPARKLING clean in the tic system. Now 86 BD...THAT was clean (except for the single sixtuplets coming out of the drum solo...)

90 Star sounded horrible??? I was there, night in and night out hearing them from the side, from the front, from the back, etc. You must be judging them from some recording. The 90s were notoriously bad for making drumlines sound dirty....something to do with mike placement relative to the center of the field. Trust me...I WAS THERE. They were NOT a dirty line, and they certainly did not sound that way live. As far as them being lost at mp when the horns were playing? That's called blend, my friend. That's something that kevlar CANNOT do as well as mylar. Kevlar blends with NOTHING, IMO. I marched in DCI on both...

It reminds me of when Glassmen were using mylar when Colin was teaching there. They sounded OUTRAGEOUS, but weren't getting the numbers they deserved. They switch to kevlar....that night the drum score jumps up a couple of full points. People are just not used to that sound anymore.

Edited by Cadetsnare

Interesting perspective. I marched 90 Cadets, 10 snares, we won perc with a 19.7...didn't turn out too bad. Even outscored BD 86. BD 94 had 10, had a 9.8 on the field. There have been LOTS of killer 10 man snare lines out there over the years. You must not have checked out 27th in the early 80s. SPARKLING clean in the tic system. Now 86 BD...THAT was clean (except for the single sixtuplets coming out of the drum solo...)

90 Star sounded horrible??? I was there, night in and night out hearing them from the side, from the front, from the back, etc. You must be judging them from some recording. The 90s were notoriously bad for making drumlines sound dirty....something to do with mike placement relative to the center of the field. Trust me...I WAS THERE. They were NOT a dirty line, and they certainly did not sound that way live. As far as them being lost at mp when the horns were playing? That's called blend, my friend. That's something that kevlar CANNOT do as well as mylar. Kevlar blends with NOTHING, IMO. I marched in DCI on both...

It reminds me of when Glassmen were using mylar when Colin was teaching there. They sounded OUTRAGEOUS, but weren't getting the numbers they deserved. They switch to kevlar....that night the drum score jumps up a couple of full points. People are just not used to that sound anymore.

Crap forgot about 90 Cadets, you guys were smokin! And yes, re: Star sounding dirty on plastic I'm refering to the recordings. I get the blend thing, BUT, have never understood the point of writing parts that weren't intended to be heard. Thats like having the soprano line play a sweet lick at piano facing the back sideline during a drum solo. What's the point?

Edited by BozzlyB

I don't really care but could we please get VK's cymbal line back?

furthering the bass drum discussion...

the bass tech at my highschool marched a 40 inch bass XD

he said the thing was made of glass and they spray painted the drum except a portion at the top he could use to look through

Does he also happen to be a Pathological liar?

Seriously though, that's just ridiculous.

And totally not worth it.

Spirit has marched 6 basses in recent years. I seem to remember there being 6 in 2005?

Spirit marched 6 this year, at least when I saw them they were. I couldn't tell you if they made it to finals with all 6 still on board.

Spirit marched 6 this year, at least when I saw them they were. I couldn't tell you if they made it to finals with all 6 still on board.
Yes they did .

If i were a battery / front ensemble caption and arranger. I would have 9 snares 5 tenors 5 basses 5 cymbal 8 pit (7 mallet players and one timpanist)