Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

Posted today in the Hop Blog (emphasis mine):

If you come here, you have some interest in the Cadets ... I think? There are of course those who come to see what is up in the world, copy anything that is not of the norm, and incite those who may have a different opinion. Heaven knows ... I never intend to add to the stress of others with my views. Indeed, my last 30 years with the Cadets is one grand joy ....I guess at times there is just a difference of opinion.

that said ...

if you can assist me ...

I am looking for a professional screen writer in the PA/NJ/NY area. As one would expect, there is narrative attached to the Cadets' 2008 production.

We know WHAT we want to say, but we are looking for help in HOW to do it?

Do you know a college professor who pay double as an author or a novelist ... or in the perfect world a screen writer?

Community theater folks? Other professionals who might be looking for novel work?

We really do not need all that much assistance. At this juncture the voice contribution is restricted. But, what is there, is critical to the story and we want to produce this with the highest quality and the most efficient use of the word.

Drop me a line at hopkins@yea.org ... and we are looking for someone with experience and skill. If they know anything about the great world of drum corps, that would be a bonus.

Thanks.

What are your thoughts on the inclusion in the program, and the nature of the request? This seems to be the first time a show has tried to include professional writing. Should be an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

Well, on the one hand I am hoping he/they learned from how disastrous the product was at the beginning of the summer last year and this plea for a professional will help them start with a better beginning product, but on the other hand I wish they would not use it at all.

At the same time, I will keep an open mind. Hated the narration in early season Cadets 07. . .loved the finished product.

Well, on the one hand I am hoping he/they learned from how disastrous the product was at the beginning of the summer last year and this plea for a professional will help them start with a better beginning product, but on the other hand I wish they would not use it at all.

At the same time, I will keep an open mind. Hated the narration in early season Cadets 07. . .loved the finished product.

I think I have to agree with you on this one. I really hated their show at the beginning of the season, but by the end of the season I actually thought they were putting on a great performance. Although I am not a fan of narration, but I gotta hand it to the members. . . . they put on a great show!!!

We'll just have to see how this years turns on. . . .

Posted today in the Hop Blog (emphasis mine):

What are your thoughts on the inclusion in the program, and the nature of the request? This seems to be the first time a show has tried to include professional writing. Should be an interesting discussion.

Two things that even the ardent anti-vocal people should love.

1 - the show will feature 'restricted'. I take that to mean 'less than last years'. Honestly, if you've been listenning to the music, there arent any gaping holes for narration as there was last year

2 - They're addressing my number 1 complaint with narration - its just not good enough. Certainly words have the capability to inspire and incite emotion, but only if done on the same level as the rest of the program. This should be a very good move, and a big improvement (assuming they find someone....not a given)

Edited by euponitone

I'm all for corps improving the quality of their design elements, even when I don't necesarily agree with the use of them. Hopefully the vocal component won't be a distraction to the amazing music performance behind it like at times last year (at least IMO).

I'll try to be open-minded... really, really hard.

I am looking for a professional screen writer in the PA/NJ/NY area. As one would expect, there is narrative attached to the Cadets' 2008 production.

We know WHAT we want to say, but we are looking for help in HOW to do it?

Do you know a college professor who pay double as an author or a novelist ... or in the perfect world a screen writer?

Community theater folks? Other professionals who might be looking for novel work?

We really do not need all that much assistance. At this juncture the voice contribution is restricted. But, what is there, is critical to the story and we want to produce this with the highest quality and the most efficient use of the word.

From this it sounds like the narrative is critical, but does not make-up a large portion of the show like last year. It looks like they are reacting to fans criticism of the narrative quality in the past and are turning to professionals in the vocal medium.

I would rather have no narrative, but I would want to see it handled by a pro if they are going to include it.

While I'm not fond of narration, I am very glad to see that GH is trying to find someone with writing experience to develop the narration. If they are able to find someone qualified, perhaps the narration won't take an entire season to become truly effective (or at least, pretty decent to listen to).

And I'm not at all surprised that narration will be in the show. Hopefully it'll be good though.

From this it sounds like the narrative is critical, but does not make-up a large portion of the show like last year. It looks like they are reacting to fans criticism of the narrative quality in the past and are turning to professionals in the vocal medium.

I would rather have no narrative, but I would want to see it handled by a pro if they are going to include it.

I wouldnt jump to too many conclusions about their reacting to fan criticism...it could just be that the show doesnt call for constant narration interspersed between the individual pieces....