Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

I didn't like the Cadet's 2007 narration at all... didn't like the content, didn't like the distraction, and it really wouldn't have mattered whether it was done by actors or not. I found myself saying WTF??? after seeing that show.

Eggsactly. However, to not let an aspect of preformance mature is a mistake, so i am going to try and keep an open mind. It can't be as "kiss up to the judges" as last season. :grouphug:

Contradict much?

I didn't say I LIKED the voice-over in Criminal - I just said that I didn't find it annoying or distracting like the Cadets voice-over. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Geez... talk about picking apart a comment!

I didn't say I LIKED the voice-over in Criminal - I just said that I didn't find it annoying or distracting like the Cadets voice-over. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Geez... talk about picking apart a comment!

Just taking you at your words. You said we should not need a narrator to tell us what is unfolding on the field, and then proceeded tp say you were cool with the Bluecoats use of narration which was clearly narrating what was unfolding on the field. You contradicted yourself. . .unless you meant to say something else.

A second pro-narration corps trying to make it...well, proffesional as possible. I say good move! Although I do agree with Lance ... some of my college professors were some of the most incoherent people I've ever met. I think almost everyone has experienced those classes where they lecture for an hour and not a soul has any clue what the heck they were talking about!

If I weren't 1000+ miles from eastern PA, I'd be emailing George now. What a unique opportunity! We'll see how it all turns out.

I hope they put some effort into finding professional voice actors as well. There's a certain amount of cliched cheesiness that comes about when non-professional actors attempt to recite lines in a dramatic fashion.

To me, that's what makes Cadets '07 difficult to listen to at times.

Edited by Jayzer

I'd also like to point out that a show can have narrative without having narration. I don't think any of us doubted the Cadets' 08 production would have some sort of narrative, but now we know for sure that it's going to have narration. What I hope is that the talking actually contributes to the show's overall narrative in a positive manner, rather than in the schizophrenic and distracting way it was used in parts of their 07 production.

I'd also like to point out that a show can have narrative without having narration. I don't think any of us doubted the Cadets' 08 production would have some sort of narrative, but now we know for sure that it's going to have narration. What I hope is that the talking actually contributes to the show's overall narrative in a positive manner, rather than in the schizophrenic and distracting way it was used in parts of their 07 production.

Could you provide some examples of "schizophrenic" in last year's show? I'm not sure what you're getting at hear. Also, how do you think this years narrative will differ from last year's? Interesting to discuss these differences...

I have no idea what direction they design staff will take with the narrative (again, a word that simply means "story," for the most part), but I hope the narration is used better. By schizophrenic, I'm talking about having 2 different things going on at the same time without anything to tie them together, as with the last 3-4 minutes of the Cadets' production last year. You have a guy talking, and there's nothing really tying it in with what the rest of the corps is doing. You see it all the time with colorguards and the rest of the corps. I think the people behind the Cadets are figuring it out, though...as far as integrating narration, 07 was worlds better than 06, so I'm thinking 08 will be worlds better than 07, too.

Looks like its really becoming a crutch for them, pity

Can’t wait until the next time the do WWS complete with dialogue because it’s so necessary

Wow, I was reading every page of this thread and began saying to myself, "Wow, everyone sure is positive about this development", but then YOU happened...I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch...

Anyway, good move for GH trying to find a professional to help out with this. Hopefully it makes a difference. I am looking forward to seeing what happens.