2008: The Season of...

la mejor

Oops, sorry!

Edited by byline

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this years programming has provided us with a wide variety of emotions,running the gamut from sad and melancholy all the way to depressed and maudlin. :thumbdown:

Maybe it's just as well that I'm a no-show this year, LOL! :thumbdown:

this years programming has provided us with a wide variety of emotions,running the gamut from sad and melancholy all the way to depressed and maudlin. :thumbdown:

Hey Dugg,

joke or not - you've kind of hit the nail on the head with that one. And we're just as guilty too - I mean even our show title is "Chanson Triste" (Sad Song) so a big Mea Culpa on that one.

But - I see it happening in other mediums too this year. I work in advertising so we kinda have to keep a close eye on trends - and this is the big one this year. Just thought it was really funny when I started seeing the trend in winter Guard this year!!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

It's also the year of "dark"

Onyx, Fantasia, Zydeco, James Logan, etc. etc.

I still say it is the year of dark, not the emotion but the color schemes. I want to add to the list, Black Watch (oh the irony)

and Signature..........I'm sure there are others.

But - I see it happening in other mediums too this year. I work in advertising so we kinda have to keep a close eye on trends - and this is the big one this year. Just thought it was really funny when I started seeing the trend in winter Guard this year!!!!!!

I was reading something a while back -- it may have been in the Globe & Mail -- that talked about how, in the wake of 9/11, North American movies moved into darker, more depressing terrain, and that it was a direct reflection on the less optimistic, more cynical mindset many people find themselves in these days.

I was reading something a while back -- it may have been in the Globe & Mail -- that talked about how, in the wake of 9/11, North American movies moved into darker, more depressing terrain, and that it was a direct reflection on the less optimistic, more cynical mindset many people find themselves in these days.

Not to get too "off topic" - but same thing happened in the era of the Cold War and its relationship to horror movies (where monsters attacked but good always prevailed).

But yeah, this year shows that are really up tempo and fun can really stand out.

Later,

Mike

while sonnor may now be synonymous with "pretty" soft sell style shows and i would not diminish their importance the honor of innovation of the "pretty show" should rightfully go to jeff namian and blessed sac for 1989's gordon lightfoot show.

I would agree with that! I was with State Street then, but fell in love with that show!!! It's on my On-Demand video. I ran into some folks from Sac at Spinfest this summer, and told them how much I loved that show. Go figure, one of the girls I met was IN that show!

while sonnor may now be synonymous with "pretty" soft sell style shows and i would not diminish their importance the honor of innovation of the "pretty show" should rightfully go to jeff namian and blessed sac for 1989's gordon lightfoot show.

i might also go back even further to 1979's "the pines of rome" as interpreted by the seattle imperials,design by stanley knaub.very light lryical and pretty!

Good points. Let's also not forget guards like Menagerie from Salem, Ind. Back in the early '80s, and especially in the flag line, Richard Trueblood had his guards doing soft, ethereal work -- combined with body movement -- much like what guards are doing today. Truly a forerunner of modern guard, and way ahead of their time.

Also, how well I remember St. Joseph's Grenadiers from 1982. Their "One More Time" show had such a delicate, lyrical touch; nothing hard-sell about it, in an era when pretty much everything was hard-sell.

bruce,a talented double-jointed mixologist,hairdresser and part time pastry chef from the mariott's headquarter's bar in dayton sent me an update for his WGI cocktail list,it follows.......... :grouphug:

if you order a.....

arcadia=sake

center grove=goldschlager

blessed sac=blue nun

carmel=champagne

the knights=pink lady

alter ego=manhattan

miamisburg=bell's amber ale

scv=a sidecar

onyx=black russian

pride of cincinnatti=mudslide

sacred heart=virgin mary

avon=strega

centerville=grasshopper

wgi judge=bitters and soda

don't forget to tip your server!!!!

Edited by dugg

bruce,a talented double-jointed mixologist,hairdresser and part time pastry chef from the mariott's headquarter's bar in dayton sent me an update for his WGI cocktail list,it follows.......... :grouphug:

if you order a.....

arcadia=sake

center grove=goldschlager

blessed sac=blue nun

carmel=champagne

alter ego=manhattan

miamisburg=bell's amber ale

scv=a sidecar

onyx=black russian

pride of cincinnatti=mudslide

sacred heart=virgin mary

avon=strega