Peace sign is 50 years old

I heard on the radio today that the peace sign is 50 years old, (maybe today - I didn't catch the actual date).

peace_4.jpg

However, the first thing that popped into my head was Garfield's show and the peace sign.

"NO MORE WAR!" show in 1971, (if I remember correctly).

I supress the urge to editorialize.

One of the most widely known symbols in the world, in Britain it is recognised as standing for nuclear disarmament —and in particular as the logo of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). In the United States and much of the rest of the world it is known more broadly as the peace symbol. It was designed in 1958 by Gerald Holtom, a professional designer and artist and a graduate of the Royal College of Arts.

According to wikipedia: Wikipedia link

"It was designed and completed February 21, 1958 by Gerald Holtom, a professional designer and artist in Britain for the Easter march planned by DAC from Trafalgar Square, London, to the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston in England.

The symbol itself is a combination of the semaphoric signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for Nuclear Disarmament. In semaphore the letter "N" is formed by a person holding two flags in an upside-down "V," and the letter "D" is formed by holding one flag pointed straight up and the other pointed straight down. These two signals imposed over each other form the shape of the peace symbol. In the original design the lines widened at the edge of the circle.[3]"

We have just a few more days to its official birthday. :tongue:

Thanks for pointing it out, it was interesting to find out some of the history.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe

That's interesting. For me seeing that symbol instantly takes me back to my teen years. I never knew where it came from and always thought it was designed in protest of the Vietnam War.

I heard on the radio today that the peace sign is 50 years old, (maybe today - I didn't catch the actual date).

However, the first thing that popped into my head was Garfield's show and the peace sign.

"NO MORE WAR!" show in 1971, (if I remember correctly).

I supress the urge to editorialize.

Here is the 1971 Cadets Peace sign at the World Open....our Revolutionary War show. "No More War" was 1972...the Peace Sign was marched to a theme from Mahler's 5th.

The first year we did it was 1970, to "White Rabbit"...the year Tony Schlechta wanted us kicked out of VFW Nats in Miami.

That's interesting. For me seeing that symbol instantly takes me back to my teen years. I never knew where it came from and always thought it was designed in protest of the Vietnam War.

What's even more interesting to me is that during that time we were so insulated from most things political. I look back at all the stuff that was going on during the late sixties and early seventies when we were marching our butts off. Think about it, the only time we as the incredible diverse group that we were, were even visited with any kind of racism was during a stay over in Jacksonville Florida on our way to the CYO Nationals in Miami* and Father Schiraldi managed to keep that from most of us.

An amazing time to say the least. And let us not forget about the Woodstock! show.

Puppet

* Oh yeah, remember that woman in the Howard Johnson's in Ohio who said to Konga (Raymond): "I've never seen a colored person in person before!" LOL!!!!!

Edited by Puppet

Here is the 1971 Cadets Peace sign at the World Open....our Revolutionary War show. "No More War" was 1972...the Peace Sign was marched to a theme from Mahler's 5th.

The first year we did it was 1970, to "White Rabbit"...the year Tony Schlechta wanted us kicked out of VFW Nats in Miami.

Oh yeah, I remember now. "White Rabbit" that was cool.

Still have all that stuff on vinyl.

What's even more interesting to me is that during that time we were so insulated from most things political. I look back at all the stuff that was going on during the late sixties and early seventies when we were marching our butts off. Think about it, the only time we as the incredible diverse group that we were, were even visited with any kind of racism was during a stay over in Jacksonville Florida on our way to the CYO Nationals in Miami* and Father Schiraldi managed to keep that from most of us.

An amazing time to say the least. And let us not forget about the Woodstock! show.

Puppet

* Oh yeah, remember that woman in the Howard Johnson's in Ohio who said to Konga (Raymond): "I've never seen a colored person in person before!" LOL!!!!!

That might have been in "69" on the way to Wisc. when Father Schiraldi was forced to "light up" a resturant owner because they were suddenly closed when we got there.

I asked Mom if I could go to Woodstock in 1969 because I love music. She said no, so I stayed in drum corps. Since 1969, drum corps allowed me to travel, which included 4 provinces, 40 states and 13 European countries. I'm short and blonde but when asked what I want, I reply "Peace on Earth". Thanks Martybucs.

So here's the story on Garfield's Peace Sign beginnings:

It's February, 1970 and we're sitting outside the Patterson Armory in a '63 Chevy in the pouring rain waiting for the 1st Sergeant to appear and open the door so the corps can begin rehearsal. Emmons and Hoffman are discussing what they should do with this weird White Rabbit tune that has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the show.

The windows are fogged up and Bobby is using the front windshield as a sketch pad. "I know", he says, "let's do this." He draws a an upside-down smiley face with rabbit ears. "No", Pete says, "how about this?", and leans over laughing, rubs out the face and converts the ears into the legs of the peace sign. We're all laughing now and Hoff says, "Cool, but you'll never be able to get the corps into that shape in 16 counts." "No sweat", says Emmons. A half hour later we're looking at it from the balcony.