DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

DCA is definitely GAINING membership

Heh, good thing the system took a while to come back as I answered my own question kinda.

Question is/was regarding larger corps growth in DCA. Over the last 10 or so years DCA has gained some Open Class (what DCA calls the larger corps) along bunch of Class A smaller corps. Off the top of my head, CorpsVets, Carolina Gold (hope they make it back) and Renegades all new to DCA Open Class since mid 1990s. And possibly CV and Carolina worked their way up from the Class A ranks but not sure.

Which brings up another On Topic point in how DCA works the Open/Class A groups. All a smaller corps has to do to "become" a Open class corps is to say "Hey, we're Open class". No hoops to jump thru that I'm aware of and the corps doesn't even have to have over 65(?) members. Lot easier for corps to move between the Classes.

Believe a few corps have even become Class A in DCA after starting as Mini Corps but little before I came back. Can anyone help with this one as I don't want to guess....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These various activities are not "Apples to Apples" to make comparison. So why bother? I love all of those corps! I dont WANT them all to be the same or do the same things! I for one LOVE going to whichever show is in town! I love going to Washington to see the "Commandants Own", the Army "Old Guard", and stopping to check out the Yankee Rebels Alumni! I live in the Willow Grove area near the Reilly Raiders! Those cats still got it! I know.. this will do no good.. but I thought I would check it out.

What have we cats still got? A very active corps that is growing. We have some Madison sops coming all the way out to play with us, you should stop and check it out this Sunday at the Knights of Columbus on Glenside and say hello.

I like being involved in all levels and types of drum corps. It doesnt make sense to me to get stuck in one place and tell the rest to go away. I like talking to and knowing the youngest and the oldest people in the activity. I do miss the days of prelims and finals outside of the World Championships and more regional competition. I like the original post in this forum. I grew up knowing Senior Corps & DCA, I cant imagine what it would be like growing up someplace without it. I wouldnt know the story at all behind it. It does seem to be on an upward swing for many of the reasons which were listed. I hope that continues. I like DCI Div.II, I hope it doesnt shrink further. It is very interesting to watch what is happening in the all-age, mini corps, alum corps circuit. I love it that DCA allows musicians to keep playing in so many ways and doesnt look for ways to exclude but rather to include through I&E and other open door events. When people ask if I still play I can say: YES!

I'm going to have to correct you on the bolded point... both Vanguard Cadets and BDB are both taking full tours every year now.

~>conner

We'll have a definitive answer to this when I get my e-mails returned from Rick Odello and Jeff Pearson.

I've always thought SCVC's and BDB's alternate-year touring model was the right idea for these two corps. Members get an opportunity to compete for Open class champion every two year, and don't break the bank in the process.

Regarding the termination of some of the regional and open championships, I know the charter DCI member corps actively promoted staying away from VFW. That's why SCV didn't defend their 1971 championship in 1972. Less and less corps showed up to other competitions like World Open, Mid-American, CYO, etc., because DCI became the end-all championship. US Open actually survived longer than most of the rest.

Going back to 1970, I tracked 10 championship shows: VFW, AL, Shriners, North American Open, Mid-American Open, US Open, CYO Invitational, World Open, American International Open, Key to The Sea. (Probably should have included Drum Along the Rockies, too.)

VFW: 70-81...done

AL: 70,72,74,75,77,79,80...done

Shriners: 70,71,72...done

North American Open: 70,71...done

Mid-American Open: 70,71...done

US Open: 70-95...done

CYO: 70-84...done

World Open: 70-82...done

Amer. Int'l: 73-77, 79,81-84...done

Key: 73-84...done

Some regionals have come and gone, but they were pretty much DCI-sanctioned anyway. DCI-West, DCI-Canada, DCI-North. Replaced by other DCI-sanctioned regionals.

Garry in Vegas

And don't forget the NT Open! Blue Devils won the first one followed by...hmmm I forgot. But Marquis won in 1976 Open class and we won A Class. I think Toronto Optimists won...someone help me out here.

This is an excellent discussion!

Ya know, I've read all of this and seem to see most responses as 'DCI is some sort of problem' in where we are today. That's OK. Those opinions are as valid as any other.

For me, I look back (way back) and consider why DCI was formed in the first place. Here's what I remember. . .

It was all about the 'haves and have nots.' The nationally successful corps, like Cavaliers, Troopers, etc, decided that VFW and AL were not really understanding what the dominant corps were all about. The dominant corps determined they could provide better guidance for their own activity. The dominant corps decided to fund (and oversee) their own activity in a manner that better represents what they (dominant corps) believed to be relevant. They broke away. They funded their own organization.

The new organization was intended to preserve the interests of the (then) dominant corps. THOSE corps stepped up with funding to create something that would better serve THOSE corps. Nothing wrong in that.

Why in the world does anyone (today) think DCI was formed to be the savior and protector of the entire activity?

DCI was formed to protect the interest of those corps seen to be dominant. Nothing more. Actually, DCI created a championship enviornment wherein other corps can score their way into that dominant (privileged) category. That's what championships were (and are) all about. . . . to determine a top 12, who shall enjoy all the spoils that comes with that accomplished level.

I have NO problem with where DCI is evolving. DCI is doing what DCI was originally charged to do. In my opinion, DCI IS functioning as planned.

Truth be told, DCI is wildly successful, when evaluated as to its original, intended purpose.

:whip:

Feel better ya got yer little dig in Tom?

For someone who complains when DCI is diss'ed... well PKB <$1 to JeffR>

Not a dig...just the truth. Just because you don't like the truth doesn't make it any less true.

What are we talking about...7000 people? DCA is basically a right coast love fest with a couple of midwest seniors thrown into the mix after they march some regional DCI shows. Again, a niche within a niche.

This is an excellent discussion!

Ya know, I've read all of this and seem to see most responses as 'DCI is some sort of problem' in where we are today. That's OK. Those opinions are as valid as any other.

For me, I look back (way back) and consider why DCI was formed in the first place. Here's what I remember. . .

It was all about the 'haves and have nots.' The nationally successful corps, like Cavaliers, Troopers, etc, decided that VFW and AL were not really understanding what the dominant corps were all about. The dominant corps determined they could provide better guidance for their own activity. The dominant corps decided to fund (and oversee) their own activity in a manner that better represents what they (dominant corps) believed to be relevant. They broke away. They funded their own organization.

The new organization was intended to preserve the interests of the (then) dominant corps. THOSE corps stepped up with funding to create something that would better serve THOSE corps. Nothing wrong in that.

Why in the world does anyone (today) think DCI was formed to be the savior and protector of the entire activity?

DCI was formed to protect the interest of those corps seen to be dominant. Nothing more. Actually, DCI created a championship enviornment wherein other corps can score their way into that dominant (privileged) category. That's what championships were (and are) all about. . . . to determine a top 12, who shall enjoy all the spoils that comes with that accomplished level.

I have NO problem with where DCI is evolving. DCI is doing what DCI was originally charged to do. In my opinion, DCI IS functioning as planned.

Truth be told, DCI is wildly successful, when evaluated as to its original, intended purpose.

:whip:

I agree in principle with this post.

Mabye if DCA was some place other than the Eastcoast, there would be more reason to do it.

I think you need to look again at where DCA is these days. It's not just the East Coast any more. There are now corps in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, Kansas, California and Florida. Does that put enough corps around you to get you interested or to make it worth a look?

P.S. If I left out someones state...my apologies. DCA is growing every day. It's hard to keep up. :whip:

I think you need to look again at where DCA is these days. It's not just the East Coast any more. There are now corps in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, Kansas, California and Florida. Does that put enough corps around you to get you interested or to make it worth a look?

P.S. If I left out someones state...my apologies. DCA is growing every day. It's hard to keep up. :whip:

An honest question: does DCA really WANT to grow? I mean, do they have a growth strategy? Do they want to expand their "niche within a niche" beyond the right coast?

An honest question: does DCA really WANT to grow? I mean, do they have a growth strategy? Do they want to expand their "niche within a niche" beyond the right coast?

I think they do. More corps mean more available shows means more competition means more corps at Championships means more fans in the seats means more members for more corps. See the beauty of the cycle.

Also the fact that DCA has held on to most of the Drum Corps traditions means that HS kids who wish to perform in a DCA corps can be a part of something that is NOT just another form of thier marching bands. Has DCA evolved....yes. Has DCA changed.....yes. Has DCA become just like BOA bands.....no way! Does this make DCA a bad thing..........not on your life!!

Edited by MCL_Contra