Broadway musicals

It has been almost 20 years since SCV won with Phantom of the Opera. Do you think SCV or another corps could take another Broadway musical and win a championship? I loved POTO but looking at it compared to the shows on the field today, I don't think it would win. I think SCV has had at least 4 shows that have been better written and better performed than their 89 performance.

I love Broadway musicals, but don't know if the difficulty level is always there with them, from a musical standpoint. I know alot of people have mentioned they wouldn't mind seeing Cadets redo Les Mis, and I would also enjoy seeing that. Would it contend for a championship though? I don't know.

What are your thoughts on the Broadway musicals and drum corps of today? I kind of miss corps doing a highlights of a musical.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think under the right circumstances a corps could win with a musical. It would just have to be the right corps, the right years and the right show. Just like any other year. I love 89 SCV too, but I don't know.

Nowadays, I think musicals on the marching field are associated with bad high school marching band.

It all depends on the musical, the arrangements of the music, which corps it is, etc. You could probably make a difficult book out of Sweeney Todd's music and make a cool show with it... than of course there is always "City of Angels" :thumbup:

A few corps have already done Sweeney Todd. I agree with contra 100% on this. Given the right circumstances, a musical could win.

This thread comes up every once in awhile.

A corps needs to do a Revolutionary America show and include selections from 1776 in their rep. Maybe since HBO is doing an adaptation of David McCullough's John Adams biography there could be a market for songs like Sit Down, John, The Egg, or even Molasses to Rum.

the only cadets show i like is 89 when they did les miserables

It has been almost 20 years since SCV won with Phantom of the Opera. Do you think SCV or another corps could take another Broadway musical and win a championship? I loved POTO but looking at it compared to the shows on the field today, I don't think it would win. I think SCV has had at least 4 shows that have been better written and better performed than their 89 performance.

I love Broadway musicals, but don't know if the difficulty level is always there with them, from a musical standpoint. I know alot of people have mentioned they wouldn't mind seeing Cadets redo Les Mis, and I would also enjoy seeing that. Would it contend for a championship though? I don't know.

What are your thoughts on the Broadway musicals and drum corps of today? I kind of miss corps doing a highlights of a musical.

Cadets version of Les Mis was WONDERFUL! A show that in my book placed a little lower then I thought it should have. But while it is a great show on all accounts, I dont believe it would contend for a championship. Judges these days seem to want something new, something that catches their eye. Not something that has been done to death.