Broadway musicals

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mehh.....there are about 3 good tunes from Kiss...the rest or medicre, at best.

but 3 songs, fleshed out, would be plenty long enough for a show...that way there would be so much cut and snip playing

Several of you have stated that you liked Madison's 99 "Jesus Christ Superstar" show. I agree that it is a great show. How many of you have heard the Geneseo Knights' 1985 version. With a small hornline (about 36 horns), they did an awesome job with some great arrangements by Gregg Neulieb and Larry Kerschner. A bit different than Madison's. If they would have had a large hornline, it was a show that could have been in finals. IMHO.

BTW, I'm partial to the Knights show since I was on the brass staff at that time. :thumbup:

That was a great show - Knights1985.

I'm really fond of Spring Awakening. Ducan Sheik's music is beautiful and would make for some lush arrangements. Of course, since it just opened a little over a year (on Broadway...) it will take a while for the rest of the country to catch up. LOL.

Nobody is mentioning Miss Saigon?

I think I'm the only one but... I still think SCV's "Miss Saigon" is one of my favorites of all time. Not just for the helicopters. :thumbup:

Boy I sure loved City OF ANgels , pntom of the Opera, JCSS, Miss Saigon, Fiddler, WSS. Musicals are great

and I don't think it would hurt for someone to bring them back. And there are soooo many great ones

that haven;t been done before.

This thread comes up every once in awhile.

A corps needs to do a Revolutionary America show and include selections from 1776 in their rep. Maybe since HBO is doing an adaptation of David McCullough's John Adams biography there could be a market for songs like Sit Down, John, The Egg, or even Molasses to Rum.

hmm...1776....how bout Troopers doing this?....I would go and it

Several of you have stated that you liked Madison's 99 "Jesus Christ Superstar" show. I agree that it is a great show. How many of you have heard the Geneseo Knights' 1985 version. With a small hornline (about 36 horns), they did an awesome job with some great arrangements by Gregg Neulieb and Larry Kerschner. A bit different than Madison's. If they would have had a large hornline, it was a show that could have been in finals. IMHO.

BTW, I'm partial to the Knights show since I was on the brass staff at that time. :withstupid:

Geneseo's JCS performance at Madison in 1985 absolutely "SIZZLED". It had a personality, as did the drum major. One of my all-time favorite non-finalist performances. I was quite entertained (and that's not exactly easy to do). If anyone hasn't seen/heard this show - you need to.

A lot of people have talked about the South Park movie (I love pretty much every song in it) as though it's never been done by a DCI corps. It has, and it's a fun show.

CorpsReps lists Dutch Boy 2006 show as "Selections from South Park"