Broadway musicals

Did anybody watch "Company" on PBS the other night?

the actors performed all the music themselves- many of them using multiple instruments throughout the show... it was really awesome... not sure if it could be a DCI show, but it's possible...

just the whole performing music and acting and singing... kinda made me think of DCI, minus the singing part (excluding cadets/crown)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geneseo's JCS performance at Madison in 1985 absolutely "SIZZLED". It had a personality, as did the drum major. One of my all-time favorite non-finalist performances. I was quite entertained (and that's not exactly easy to do). If anyone hasn't seen/heard this show - you need to.

Agreed. The staging of the drill was wonderful. There was a guard solo that just gave me the chills. She previously marched for the Emerald Knights and I wish I could remember her name.

SCV 92..GREAT show!

Correction to 91 noted. 92 was "Fiddler On the Roof", another musical, and also a blast to the past for Vanguard. Unfortunately, it didn't get the response SCV wanted, though I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it kind of plays right into this thread. SCV tried to do something from their past (for Gail and the fans), reworked it a lot, and it got tanked. I guess nostalgia wasn't what the judges wanted.

Garry in Vegas

Did anybody watch "Company" on PBS the other night?

the actors performed all the music themselves- many of them using multiple instruments throughout the show... it was really awesome... not sure if it could be a DCI show, but it's possible...

just the whole performing music and acting and singing... kinda made me think of DCI, minus the singing part (excluding cadets/crown)

The recent revival of "Sweeney Todd" was the same.

I've said it before in similar threads, Sondheim's Pacific Overtures score would provide an outstanding SCV production. It has majesty and drama and plenty of opportunity for spectacle.

I wish i could hear someone do some "Jekyll and Hyde" in a big way!

No disrespect to the Glassmen who put that out a few years ago, i mean it was a cool show, but just didnt have that "Knock Out Punch" that most of the other broadway DCI corps over the year had.

Part of the problem is Corps/Bands etc have been doing the same songs for years every time they do a musical. For example, if someone says "lets do westside story", everyone rolls thier eyes and says "its been done". Well, there is 2 horus of music in that hasnt been done yet!

I mean, there is more to "Phantom Of the Opera" than "All i ask of you", "Music of the night", the title track, and "Angel of music".

Same with Westside story, Miss Saigon, Les Mis.

So someone bring it back!

Too bad disney copyrights are so tough.

I would love to see some of the Menken and Rice Disney soundtracks put out there in new and interesting ways!

t