What would you choose...

Hard to choose just one! I've narrowed it down to three of my favorites:

Junior: 1976 Blue Devils DCI Finals performance

1983 Cadets DCI Finals

Senior: 1977 Caballeros DCA Finals

Of course, since you mentioned her husband was in the group 'Lighthouse,' didn't the Sunrisers play their big hit "one Fine Morning" in 1972 as their OTL? That would certainly make a connection, I think!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how sexy she is...

'89 Freelancers

If only to show her how skinny I used to be. Or if she was more librarian-ish.

'91 Freelancers

Cleaner, more proficient corps from my years in junior corps. But man could those '89 Freelancers party. And if she still wasn't convinced / sold...

'06 Kilties

Just to show her that older men could still stand upright and move. And don't really care if they get wet in the process.

Have you ever had to tell somebody about drum corps? If you had an extensive collection of DVD (or even VHS) or CD and record albums, what ONE show, show segment, drum or drill break would you use to illustrate what drum corps represents? Something that, after you share it, you can say, "Now THAT's drum corps!"

Any era, any corps.

Would you let them listen to '66 Crusaders play "Talk to the Trees" followed by the great drum solo? Anything from Hawthorne or Skyliners? Pepe wailing out in "Aquarius"? That smooth early 80's Bucs hornline playing Mangione? Hurcs belting out "Heat Wave" or "Bill Bailey"? Sunrisers screaming sop line in "Joker"? I guess you can see what era I seem to be stuck in...any era will do.

What ONE snippet would you use to show someone that "This is what I do...this is drum corps".

I went through this entire thread before answering....I can pick a corp and and a specific show that they were in.

Skyliners

Roosevelt Field

the Dream 1971.

I'm still feeling the heat!!!! I still have the gray hairs!!! and I was only 16. That was one of the most dynamic b*lls to the wall shows I have ever seen and ever will see. It was a wall of sound I hadn't heard before and haven't heard since.

This would be my choice. The entire show but the closer was a gasser. They blew the house down.

Edited by Bucbari

Maybe I should tell you how I got to thinking about this...I have been working with a new employee and she mentioned her husband played in a band called "Lighthouse". This is a 70's era rock band that had a horn section sort of like Blood, Sweat and Tears and the drummer, Skip Prokop, got his early drumming chops in junior drum corps, most notably the Toronto Optimists. She said how she liked that big sound this band puts out and I mentioned having known about Prokop and drum corps. So I have been going all thru You Tube looking at the snippets there...Velvet Knights, SF Renegades, BD and PR and all the rest and trying to decide what I will e-mail her that says, "THIS is drum corps". I have yet to find just the right choice!

Hmmm...maybe Cadets "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy?"

I went through this entire thread before answering....I can pick a corp and and a specific show that they were in.

Skyliners

Roosevelt Field

the Dream 1971.

I'm still feeling the heat!!!! I still have the gray hairs!!! and I was only 16. That was one of the most dynamic b*lls to the wall shows I have ever seen and ever will see. It was a wall of sound I hadn't heard before and haven't heard since.

This would be my choice. The entire show but the closer was a gasser. They blew the house down.

i totally agree with you. the best performance of a senior corps ever. we did a great show that day and they buried us and everybody else. that hornline was so hot i thought their horns were going to melt!!!!

Have you ever had to tell somebody about drum corps? If you had an extensive collection of DVD (or even VHS) or CD and record albums, what ONE show, show segment, drum or drill break would you use to illustrate what drum corps represents? Something that, after you share it, you can say, "Now THAT's drum corps!"

Any era, any corps.

Would you let them listen to '66 Crusaders play "Talk to the Trees" followed by the great drum solo? Anything from Hawthorne or Skyliners? Pepe wailing out in "Aquarius"? That smooth early 80's Bucs hornline playing Mangione? Hurcs belting out "Heat Wave" or "Bill Bailey"? Sunrisers screaming sop line in "Joker"? I guess you can see what era I seem to be stuck in...any era will do.

What ONE snippet would you use to show someone that "This is what I do...this is drum corps".

If I could......

80 Blue Devils

95 Cabs

78 Sunrisers

63 Blessed Sacrament

Predudiced I guess......any one of the 4

Hmmm...maybe Cadets "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy?"

Good one. "Moondance" too.

1995 Madison Scouts also come to mind. Also the '95 Cadets' and Bluecoats' "Americana" shows.

And I'm with George and Dom..... the 1971 Skyliners. Absolutely awesome sound. I think they demolished portions of Roosevelt Stadium with their performance at The Dream that year. :tongue: Not too shabby at DCA Finals that year, either.

Also: Empire Statesmen, many years. They almost always do a show that a "drum corps newbie fan" can really appreciate.

1995 Hawthorne Caballeros. For me, the quintessential Caballeros show.

Probably a bunch more I can't think of right now. Really tough to narrow it down to one!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Ok, I haven't been around as long as you all have :music: but I would go with:

Phantom '89 (New World Symphony)

Phantom '06 (Faust)

BD '07 (Winged Victory)

DCA? probably shouldn't get into that. I know far too little to make a good judgement, although I'm relatively clueless about DCI, too! Oh well. Just my opinions :tongue:

1965 Mighty St.Joe's

1966 Chicago Cavaliers

1967 Boston Crusaders

1968 Chicago royalairs

1969 Blessed Sacrament

1974 Santa Clara Vanguards

1975 Madison Scouts

1975-76 Rochester Phoenix

Any good year of Skyliners and Cabs

1965 Rochester Crusaders