Open Class Sizes

I was just wondering what the section numbers for each open class corps was. I'm very courious to see if "numbers" play a game in the scores.

I'm very excited to see the open competition this year. I feel that many of the old D 3 corps could give the old D2 corps a run for their money.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be a big difference between numbers now and numbers in July, especially for guards. I'm not sure the answers right now will tell you much.

Edited by kusankusho

The average size I'm sure will hover around 100 members. With corps like teal and surf having close to the max. I know that teal has very close to 150, if not a full corps. Where as there will be corps such as raiders, spartans, memphis probably, all around 100. I'm sure BDB and Vanguard will have more than that though.

I'm afraid you could be terribly wrong about the average being 100. Surf and Teal will be very large corps like you say. I agree with that but usually an old "Div II/III" corps more often than not was under 100 members. Last year there were only 6 Div II corps. The rest were Div III which could only have a maximum of 79 members (if i am not mistaken). I'm sure last year the only Div II corps with over 100 members were Teal, Surf, and probably Spartans. BDB may have JUST missed that 100 mark. SCVC was smaller than usual from my observation. I do not know many exact numbers just for the record. With probably only three corps (maybe 4) over 100 members last year (and most years prior) mathematically those 3 corps out of the roughly 30 corps in today's "Open Class" would have to have probably 450 members a piece for the average to come out to 100. I doubt Open Class is getting a surge of membership, otherwise we would have heard about it already on here.

Although it may seem "sad" to some that there isnt even an average of 100, sometimes small lines are the beauty of Open Class. It was very enjoyable last year to watch Mempho rock the stadium with only 30? brass players and 12? in the drumline (I dont have exact #s). Although it would have been nice to see 15 guard instead of 8 during those big musical moments it was still an awesome show. Bigger isn't always better (But I am sure Surf will show us it is better in most cases this year hah)

you're right SCVC was small last season. i counted at finals and believe they were just below 79, but they chose not to go Div iii.

and i agree - corps size doesn't especially matter when you have good design and solid execution. it does however require an experienced adjudicator to look past small numbers and give a balanced comparison to a larger corps. unfortunately, that doesn't always happen...

spartans had jsut over 100 last year. 109 i think? i do know that they are desperate for numbers this year... its too bad. For those of you that dont knwo that story look up some older threads about spartans , i dont want to have to type it all here.

you're right SCVC was small last season. i counted at finals and believe they were just below 79, but they chose not to go Div iii.

and i agree - corps size doesn't especially matter when you have good design and solid execution. it does however require an experienced adjudicator to look past small numbers and give a balanced comparison to a larger corps. unfortunately, that doesn't always happen...

I'm sure you meant to say Div II and that was a typo.

Random question for all: Anyone know what Fever is getting for numbers in the brass section? VK? Impulse?

BDB's got 50-something in the hornline as of right now. Hoping to run a 60 in the hornline this year...

I'm sure you meant to say Div II and that was a typo.

saying div III makes sense in that SCVC did compete in div II. remember, the corps had the option of choosing which division if they were withing the 71-79 members, so if they chose to make a move, it would have been to div III, which is not what happened.

Edited by i heard from someone