Brass sounds of the corps

Lets see how many things are wrong with your statement.

1. Phantom had a better drumline

2. Phantom had a better Guard

3. Phantom did not use any narration

4. Phantom had a much more entertaining show by far.

5. Phantom's hornline had far more depth.

6. Phantom put out a gimick-free, entertaining show - no talking.

You are wrong if you think Phantom did not hold a candle to the Cadets last year.

:huh::smile::w00t::huh::huh::w00t::huh::huh:

The above statements are based on opinion, not fact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above statements are based on opinion, not fact

Phantom had a better drum line than Cadets in 2007. Fact.

Phantom did not use narration. Fact.

Edited by Slow Adam

Who had the better drum line is subjective and therefore opinion, and yes, Phantom did not use narration, however, the effect of narration in a drum corps show is subjective and therefore opinion.

dcp -- the only place where its possible for someone's opinion to be "objectively" wrong.

love it.

Lets see how many things are wrong with your statement.

1. Phantom had a better drumline

2. Phantom had a better Guard

3. Phantom did not use any narration

4. Phantom had a much more entertaining show by far.

5. Phantom's hornline had far more depth.

6. Phantom put out a gimick-free, entertaining show - no talking.

You are wrong if you think Phantom did not hold a candle to the Cadets last year.

It's not just DCP. It's the world.

But yeah, the only fact in BigSnareLine's post is that Phantom didn't use narration. It's a fact that Phantom scored higher in drums than the Cadets, but it's an opinion that one was "better" than the other. Just like it's a fact that BD scored higher than every other corps, but many people hold the opinion that other shows were "better".

The Cadets scored a 97.025. Fact.

Phantom scored at 94.85. Fact.

sorry, I'm not buying the argument. What it comes down to, is that big snareline LIKED Phantom more, and it looks like he liked them more because they didn't use narration.

The Cadets were a very solid 2nd place corps. The top 2 was clearly set the way it was supposed to be set this year.

~>conner

The Cadets scored a 97.025. Fact.

Phantom scored at 94.85. Fact.

sorry, I'm not buying the argument. What it comes down to, is that big snareline LIKED Phantom more, and it looks like he liked them more because they didn't use narration.

The Cadets were a very solid 2nd place corps. The top 2 was clearly set the way it was supposed to be set this year.

~>conner

What argument? Dans stated that Bigsnareline was giving opinion only. I pointed out what I saw as fact. I didn't say Phantom did, or should have, scored higher than Cadets.

Lol...... we're not off topic at all :huh:

People took a nice reasonable discussion about brass playing and turn it in to 'my corps is better than yours'.

So how about that brass playing??? I was at bds warmup during semis, and it was pretty cool. Not blown away by volume, but some crazy fast stuff....

yeah i watched them in dallas... pretty impressive, as usual.

on the other hand, i watched crown in san antonio. they had a full sectional rehearsal in the lot. air + valve sections of the show, one section play their part, etc. weird. (to me.) i feel like the parking lot should be a place to get into performance mode, and i don't think anything kills that more than having a rehearsal in full uniform.

but -- clearly what they do works REALLY WELL, so more power to them. that's the cool thing about this discussion: there is no "right" way to get a hornline to be "good."

Lol...... we're not off topic at all :huh:

People took a nice reasonable discussion about brass playing and turn it in to 'my corps is better than yours'.

So how about that brass playing??? I was at bds warmup during semis, and it was pretty cool. Not blown away by volume, but some crazy fast stuff....

Not to mention beat up chops, a decreased sense of musicality, and a forced tone quality ... but hey that ring every couple of years sure is nice.

I find your assumption that that is the result of the Cadet's approach to be offensive. Especially as how you couch it by giving it a back-handed "OK" by saying it's excusable because at least they get to win. Having gone to the conservatory after marching, I found that my sense of musicality was much higher than it would have been. And the Air Force, and all the professional ensembles I play with would tell you my tone quality and musicianship is fine.