10 years from now.

My guess would be 12. "Open Class" will cease to exist. The remaining 12 will split into 2 tours. Resources will be pooled and they will play 1 or 2 mid-week shows and meet on a bunch of weekends for big shows. Revenue sharing will become the model to stabilize this super tour. 14 or 10 could work also but it will be locked at an even number. You will see trailers with "DCI" or what ever by then with the corps names on the sides of all of them since the transportation will be pooled. That or one or two painted in each corps colors. 3 Food trailers per tour, 2 corps per housing site, etc. Finals will become a 3 possibly 2 day event with some gimmick like random seeding for the first round to generate artificial excitment.

Not the vision I want but that would be my prediction. :thumbup:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What year are you in? My calendar says it's 2008, and there are only 20 world-class corps on the slate for '08.

Since DCI's inception, the number of North American junior corps has been asymptotically approaching the number of DCI membership slots. The real question is....how many DCI membership slots will there be 10 years from now?

I tend to agree, it's the slots that matter

It’s not really in the best interest of those top, voting corps that control DCI to have too many member corps. See, if you add 10 extra corps you then have to split the revenues into more shares and the top corps, who think it’s all about them and they are just dragging the parasitic losers corps along because no one really cares about any corps out of the top 6 as they clearly don’t sell tickets, will have a smaller share of revenues. So smaller, fewer DCI corps is better for the top corps, get it?

I’d guess about 5 corps in 10 years and it will look exactly like the Tour of Champions thing in 04 then it will decry into a one corps with several separate tours Blast thing. The great thing is they’ll still be able to force the performers to play, deny them revenues, royalties and really a voice in the matter under their non-profit, educational ruse. It will be very Dickens in the pimping the kids kind of way (as it’s clearly headed that way)

Really, the only recourse is just about to expire, 2009 would be a very good year for the other corps, the non-tournament of champion corps to pull a Survivor switch. A Survivor switch. is when the non-aligned, weaker, generally follower and freak members of the tribe form an alliance and overthrow the power players. The writing is on the wall, there is no long term future for you Blue Knights and others, get out now, start your own circuit with the other non-ToC corps for they have no long term future either. Best you put your future and destiny in your own hands, by your own rules than in the faith you have in the upper corps who will continue to betray you until you are so weak, only one option left…go inactive

According to the Mayan calendar, this cycle of thw rold ends in 2012 thus beginning a new cycle (I believe that's the theory because the world is round)... in this cycle of the world, drum corps will be plentiful and no corps will play just for the judges. :unsure:

I tend to agree, it's the slots that matter

It’s not really in the best interest of those top, voting corps that control DCI to have too many member corps. See, if you add 10 extra corps you then have to split the revenues into more shares and the top corps, who think it’s all about them and they are just dragging the parasitic losers corps along because no one really cares about any corps out of the top 6 as they clearly don’t sell tickets, will have a smaller share of revenues. So smaller, fewer DCI corps is better for the top corps, get it?

I’d guess about 5 corps in 10 years and it will look exactly like the Tour of Champions thing in 04 then it will decry into a one corps with several separate tours Blast thing. The great thing is they’ll still be able to force the performers to play, deny them revenues, royalties and really a voice in the matter under their non-profit, educational ruse. It will be very Dickens in the pimping the kids kind of way (as it’s clearly headed that way)

Really, the only recourse is just about to expire, 2009 would be a very good year for the other corps, the non-tournament of champion corps to pull a Survivor switch. A Survivor switch. is when the non-aligned, weaker, generally follower and freak members of the tribe form an alliance and overthrow the power players. The writing is on the wall, there is no long term future for you Blue Knights and others, get out now, start your own circuit with the other non-ToC corps for they have no long term future either. Best you put your future and destiny in your own hands, by your own rules than in the faith you have in the upper corps who will continue to betray you until you are so weak, only one option left…go inactive

Wow, is that the voice of reason and reality? My heart wants to say no but my mind........

12 corps at quarters

8 corps at semis

6 corps at finals

The following corps will exist 10 years from now:

Blue Devils

Cavaliers

The Cadets

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

The following corps may exist 10 years from now:

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats

Carolina Crown

It's going to be sad.

I hope and pray that Bloo, Crown, and Scouts are still around in 10.

My belief is that the Madison alumni base is too strong to let anything happen to the corps. With recent Alumni Corps reunion and this season being the 70th, support from the alums will just get stronger. Now there just needs to continuing desire in young men to join the corps.

As for Crown, I feel that they are just becoming a corps that people love and WANT to be a part of. Don't look for Crown to be going anywhere soon. The kids that I teach and interact with want to march Crown, their 07 show really captured a lot of attention. If they keep up the strong shows, they'll be staple in the top 8.

Compared to five years ago, reality now seems to finally be setting into what remains of this activity.

Still, just as in the early days of the Combine -- when it was still possible to turn things around had there been an ounce of courage among the leaders of the many hundreds of soon-to-be-doomed corps -- little has real;ly changed. The leaders still forge ahead unchallenged, the followers still keep following, and the erosion continues just as though the pursuit of a failed policy could somehow lead to a different result.

"We're knee-deep in the Big Muddy, and the Big Fool says to push on." - Pete Seeger