DCA Show on PBS

From my perspective, Mello5099(Jeff) is correct.

The best course of action for DCA right now, is to pursue a pay-per-view webcast of its championship. Actually, DCA's relationship with John Donovan and Drum Corps Planet COULD make this concept a reality. John is a highly capable, dedicated man. I know John can make such a broadcast happen.

The beauty of a webcast is that it reaches only those who are INTERESTED. Further, it opens up this wonderful activity to a worldwide audience. I've got to believe there are thousands of Asian drum corps fans who would willingly wake up at 6am to see the DCA Championship! Those same folks would NOT be a part of any American PBS effort. The current quality could be seen as lacking via web, but that REALLY IS OK, for now!

Whenever you have an audience that pays extra to witness your product, you have a serious, determined audience that could pay off for supporting sponsors. More so than 'channel surfers' restricted to the U.S. market.

Additionally, if we are looking to be seen 'prime time,' and not at 3am in America, we really DO have to pay a premium as Jeff Ream suggests. I say, let's satisfy the needs of those enthusiasts WE KNOW are out there. The rest will come later.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my perspective, Mello5099(Jeff) is correct.

The best course of action for DCA right now, is to pursue a pay-per-view webcast of its championship. Actually, DCA's relationship with John Donovan and Drum Corps Planet COULD make this concept a reality. John is a highly capable, dedicated man. I know John can make such a broadcast happen.

The beauty of a webcast is that it reaches only those who are INTERESTED. Further, it opens up this wonderful activity to a worldwide audience. I've got to believe there are thousands of Asian drum corps fans who would willingly wake up at 6am to see the DCA Championship! Those same folks would NOT be a part of any American PBS effort. The current quality could be seen as lacking via web, but that REALLY IS OK, for now!

I agree.

And I'll gladly volunteer for voiceover duty. (End of shameless plug. :guinesssmilie: )

Fran

I agree.

And I'll gladly volunteer for voiceover duty. (End of shameless plug. :guinesssmilie: )

Fran

I'll fill the "Reliable Rondo" spot. :laugh:

I'll fill the "Reliable Rondo" spot. :guinesssmilie:

Does that mean I get to be the drummer comic relief...err Delucia?

Does that mean I get to be the drummer comic relief...err Delucia?

That just leaves the Cesario slot. Volunteers? :guinesssmilie:

Cesario? NO ONE could replace him... I really don't think there's any hope of anything coming of this soon... like I said... it's all about $$$$

That just leaves the Cesario slot. Volunteers? :rolleyes:

Poodle, but only if he wears the orange jumpsuit

That's hysterical...

but I know Geoff very well... nope... it's too big a stretch

Edited by TomPeashey

Sorry about being a bit late and slightly off-topic. In response to a comment about "OLD" video/movies - go to the Cabs site (http://www.cabs.org) and click on the 60th Anniversary link. It will take you to a page where most years are represented - including a tape from the 1948 American Legion Nationals! I haven't seen anything older. However Nanci d might have something.

If someone wishes to see the progression of drill and music, for over 60 years, this is the spot even if it is for only 1 Corps.

For some of our younger members - look closely at the field. Where, today, the field is lined and has "hash marks", back in the "olden days" (or if you prefer - the "I remember when..."), the ONLY field markings were the Fifty, Center of the fifty and the end zones.

Anyhow, as in all things, money is going to be the deciding factor. Running a live feed on the 'net might be the only viable alternative. However, how about providing on-line downloads, for a fee?

Just my $.02 worth.