Weight Loss/Gain

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With seemingly rapid weight loss, how are uniforms continuously tailored to fit?

During the uniform fittings at winter camps, the uniform crew usually makes sure the uniforms are a little tighter than what is comfortable for your off-season body. During everydays the uniforms will probably be fitted again, and by the middle of the summer, your uniform will probably be fitted around 2-3 times total. This all depends on the uniform design and the availability of people to hem and sew.

Our food was good when I marched, but i found I only ate one helping during the summer rehearsal times and usually ended up dropping 30 pounds over the summer, but I always came back nice and toned.

Edited by bluecoats88

I lost 50 lbs the summer I marched. I'm 5'9" and weighed 250 pre-season and 200 at the end of the season. I dropped down from a 44 to a 40 waist and from an XL to a L shirt.

Of course, then I gained a lot of it back - the Freshman 15 became the Freshman 40. But for those few months after I came back from tour, I was relatively thin and tan. I loved it.

Edited to add: My uniform was never switched out or altered. I had the same uniform I started the season with. You can see in pictures and on the tape from Quarterfinals (where I got some good face time) just how baggy it was on me. I remember the pants legs flapping around a bit...

Edited by Flyboy1177

During the uniform fittings at winter camps, the uniform crew usually makes sure the uniforms are a little tighter than what is comfortable for your off-season body. During everydays the uniforms will probably be fitted again, and by the middle of the summer, your uniform will probably be fitted around 2-3 times total. This all depends on the uniform design and the availability of people to hem and sew.

I ended up getting refitted 4 or 5 times, usually because the sewing crew would walk around and check out tight our uni's are a couple shows before a big regional.

What ever you do, don't get your uni refitted in the deep south, aka, Mississippi, Alabama, etc. The air is so thick to the point that it hurts to breathe, or at least it did for me.

As to the OT, From what I've heard compared to other corps, we eat pretty dad gum well in Madison. 4 meals a day. I agree as well to one of the girls that replied saying that our on tour/camp meals are filled with more carbs than "at home" meals. And she's definitely right about not counting calories or being picky. Just eat the stinkin food! haha. I would usually have 1 serving and a PB+J for every meal, and that usually held me over.

In 2006, I lost 25 lbs, going from 195 to 170, and going from a 36 waist to a 32. I certainly plan though to have a greater loss here in the off-season and to work harder during season to drop that excess weight.

PS-DONT EAT TURKEY BEFORE A BLOCK!!! You'll regret it. I promise.

Ya, my first year I lost about 15 or 20, and my second year almost 40. And it doesn't really matter what you eat on tour....you could be going behind McDonald's and eating the fry grease, and you'll still probably lose weight.

The worst part of drum corps weight loss is that when you come home, you still want to eat like you're in drum corps. Each summer I put the weight back on way quicker than I wanted to, despite trying to watch what I eat.

Ya, my first year I lost about 15 or 20, and my second year almost 40. And it doesn't really matter what you eat on tour....you could be going behind McDonald's and eating the fry grease, and you'll still probably lose weight.

The worst part of drum corps weight loss is that when you come home, you still want to eat like you're in drum corps. Each summer I put the weight back on way quicker than I wanted to, despite trying to watch what I eat.

I gained and lost the most weight after my rookie season. After taking a year off, I think my metabolism slowed down a little, and in 05 and 06, my weight didnt change as much. We ate especially well those years (sometimes too well), and a few of the larger people in the corps had trouble dropping weight during spring training because we were so well fed. In the words of a certain brass staff member - " If you are overweight and struggling through training, and you get to lunch and see a giant bowl of chocolate sitting in front of you....maybe you shouldnt eat the whole thing...."

Drinking water helps especially during the off season. That and either not drinking soda or a small amount helps. I personally havn't had soda in like 3 years since doing drum corps.

Something to think about. During the tour, corps will feed members anywhere from 4 to 7 times a day, a lot times I assume, it will be carbs based since the members burn so much calories with rehearsal, shows etc. Weight Loss happens

Tour is done, members still have the same appetite without the daily routine of burning those calories and I would think it's only natural to gain weight if not more than before the season started. It's interesting to see corps vets at shows, I would recall how skinny they were when they marched then 1-2 years later (Aged out), they would gain alot of weight.