Non Drum Corps Spouses...How do we explain what we did

My wife a and I had Kenny Norman over for dinner last night and Kenny asked me if I'd read this thread. He said it made him think of me and my lovely wife Lisa. He said "Guys with non-drum corps wives should do it like you two. Before you leave for a drum corps gig, you give Lisa a hundred bucks and she goes shopping. You're both happy." Lisa and I got a good laugh out of that one, but it is pretty close to the truth. Lisa tolerates drum corps because she knows that it means a lot to me. I try to be understanding of her feelings about being gone so much in the summer and try to make it up to her. We've struck a pretty good balance.

Then Kenny and I went downstairs and had a "mellophone-fest" We spent a couple hours comparing the sounds and playability of the following instruments in my collection using various mouthpieces:

Kanstul 3-valve

Kanstul 2-valve (custom made for the USMC, engraved with "The Commandant's Own" on the bell)

DEG 2 valve

Olds Ultratone Piston/Rotor

Smith Piston/Rotor

Whaley Royce Imperial Piston/Slide

Lisa was upstairs tolerateing it. :devil:

:devil:

AAAAIIEEEEE !!!

I hope Lisa had earplugs in when you started in on that Smith... :ph34r:

That's what we had oh so many eons ago..we never got an Olds P/R until the year I played it- 79

(Me and Pudster)

Some of those may actually be pretty good. But mercy on your other half dude! :ph34r:

Pat

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife a and I had Kenny Norman over for dinner last night and Kenny asked me if I'd read this thread. He said it made him think of me and my lovely wife Lisa. He said "Guys with non-drum corps wives should do it like you two. Before you leave for a drum corps gig, you give Lisa a hundred bucks and she goes shopping. You're both happy." Lisa and I got a good laugh out of that one, but it is pretty close to the truth. Lisa tolerates drum corps because she knows that it means a lot to me. I try to be understanding of her feelings about being gone so much in the summer and try to make it up to her. We've struck a pretty good balance.

Then Kenny and I went downstairs and had a "mellophone-fest" We spent a couple hours comparing the sounds and playability of the following instruments in my collection using various mouthpieces:

Kanstul 3-valve

Kanstul 2-valve (custom made for the USMC, engraved with "The Commandant's Own" on the bell)

DEG 2 valve

Olds Ultratone Piston/Rotor

Smith Piston/Rotor

Whaley Royce Imperial Piston/Slide

Lisa was upstairs tolerateing it. :ph34r:

.........OLDS ULTRATONE................WHEN YOU HAVE TO BE HEARD!!

I'm that rare drum corps wife with the husband who doesn't get it. It's kind of funny, because we met because of color guard (I marched with his sister in high school).

I think if he were a performer, I could explain it to him, but he's never so much as been in a school play. :ph34r:

He's very supportive, though. This fall, we sat down to talk about '08 Cabs, and I was stuck on how hard it was to have no weekends with a job as demanding as mine, and he's the one who talked me back into marching.

Edited by ohmarie

My wife enjoys coming to many events we perform.

No explanation is really necessary, though. Just a, "Going to practice now. See ya in about 5 hours".

"OK, bye. Have a good time. Drive safe".

LOL, mine makes me post the corps schedule on the kitchen memo board and mark the calendar we use for all appointments. She doesn't mind me being out of her hair for a few hours, she just doesn't like surprises. :ph34r:

Also saw your post about hot parades, I have to promise to report in soon as I can after those bastich hot Beltway 4th of July parades in Dundalk/Towson/Havre de Grace. "Hi honey, I'm OK and everyone else made it too". Must take list to parades include horn, uni and cell phone....

LOL, mine makes me post the corps schedule on the kitchen memo board and mark the calendar we use for all appointments. She doesn't mind me being out of her hair for a few hours, she just doesn't like surprises. :tongue:

Also saw your post about hot parades, I have to promise to report in soon as I can after those bastich hot Beltway 4th of July parades in Dundalk/Towson/Havre de Grace. "Hi honey, I'm OK and everyone else made it too". Must take list to parades include horn, uni and cell phone....

I was in Bucs when we first started doing the 4th of July "Death Marches", (that's what I called them). Just brutal and I was young at the time.

Now, I just don't like driving to the jobs. Once there, I'm OK, but the aggressive way people drive these days makes it unenjoyable.

Like just because your car does 0-60 in 5 seconds doesn't mean you have to, or has so many airbags you can survive a horrible collision doesn't mean you should tempt fate by seeing how close you can get to my bumper at 80 mph. (not that I ever would drive so fast :tongue: )

Like just because your car does 0-60 in 5 seconds doesn't mean you have to, or has so many airbags you can survive a horrible collision doesn't mean you should tempt fate by seeing how close you can get to my bumper at 80 mph. (not that I ever would drive so fast :tongue: )

Ooooops, was that you? Sorry. :tongue:

(Sorry officer...It's I80 not 80 MPH?????????)

Edited by Drumcorpsbrat

IMO

Marrying out of drum corps, can be a disaster waiting to happen.

You have to introduce them to drum corps prior to the nuptials.

Make them understand right from the start. THIS IS MY LIFE.

In sickness and in drum corps. Take it or leave it.

If they don't like it, they will make your life a living hell!

They'll cry about how much money it costs.

How much time you spend away, if they don't attend themselves.

They'll use every excuse in the book, to get you to quit.

However...

If you're lucky

They'll embrace it!

They'll find ways to fit in and help out.

Pack the kids up each weekend and take off.As a drum corps family.

Learn to live like the gypsies.

I grew up in such a family. The best years of my childhood were running around competition fields.

To save money we stayed at camp grounds.

We as children never, ever complained, about packing up for drum corps weekends.

For those young people out there, in just such a situation, we all wish you the best of luck.

My wife is passive aggressive on this subject. I gave up Ultralight Flying to start Prairie Sound so everytime she complains I say, "I could be flying a Quicksilver 3,000 feet up instead".

Sometimes I think she wouldn't mind collecting on the live insurance.

She knew I liked Drum Corps when we got married because she went to see shows when i marched Sky Ryders in 87.

She was in High Schrool marching band and College Marching Band (that's where we met).

She gets mad at times because I'm on the computer serfing DCP and emailing PS members. She calls it "Playing on your Computer". Then there is practice time. She likes to shut down my personal practice time. Well, now I'm auditioning for the 35th Division National Guard Band and I mix my Drum Corps practice in with that.

Oh and then there's the trailer in the garage........ :tongue:

When we get key boards I'm hoping to get her to play in the pit. (Good Piano Player)

My daughter wants to try Color Guard this year. She wanted to march Salina Silver Sabers but they fizzled out.

My boy wants to play electric guitar for a top 12 DCI Corps. :tongue: