Arizona Academy to go indoors

I just I'm confused as to why the Academy would want to spend time practicing this.....Unless they are using the same music/choreography as their D&BC I don't see the competitive advantage that they are doing. Unless they are using the same material, I only see this as a wasted effort come August. Could it work as an independent ensemble from the D&BC and still raise money, yes I believe so. But I guess we'll have to wait and see in August if this effects their placement.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just I'm confused as to why the Academy would want to spend time practicing this.....Unless they are using the same music/choreography as their D&BC I don't see the competitive advantage that they are doing. Unless they are using the same material, I only see this as a wasted effort come August. Could it work as an independent ensemble from the D&BC and still raise money, yes I believe so. But I guess we'll have to wait and see in August if this effects their placement.

Does it really surprise you? Academy's focus has always been music education and enrichment..not what their placement will be come August.

Let's not forgot those wonderful indoor shows that Blue Devils put together...at the very height of the competitive season. Many will remember seeing the corps' production in Madison during the week of the DCI World Championships.

It's my understanding that Academy is using Jupiter's Quantum line of brass this summer so the flugel would be out. I don't recall seeing a flugel on the Quantum Project website.

Also, regarding this being a smart thing to do....several corps have scrapped nearly an entire program in April or May and come through very well in August. Come "move in" time they will accomplish plenty to prepare for the summer tour.

Let's not forgot those wonderful indoor shows that Blue Devils put together...at the very height of the competitive season. Many will remember seeing the corps' production in Madison during the week of the DCI World Championships.

I was actually going to mention that...that was 98, right? Was that the only year they did that?

And is there anywhere to find a video of that indoor show? Is BD selling it?

I was actually going to mention that...that was 98, right? Was that the only year they did that?

And is there anywhere to find a video of that indoor show? Is BD selling it?

I know they did it in 99: that was the only year I saw their theater show: they did a little mini-tour, I think, of the theater show at the beginning of the summer, with one or two field shows mixed in. It was cool stuff, and I'm glad I got to see it!

Ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

Ya, this is pretty confusing. I mean, this is a corps who is trying to become a force in this activity and are doing a pretty good job of it. Why in the world would they want to devote any time to anything else that could potentially detract from that? Unless I'm missing something, I believe they are a D&BC first! If they slip up this season, EVERYONE is gonna "armchair quarterback" them to death on this one. I hope they know what they're doing.

And any comparison to BD on this is premature. How many championships does BD have? I rest my case.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Ya, this is pretty confusing. I mean, this is a corps who is trying to become a force in this activity and are doing a pretty good job of it. Why in the world would they want to devote any time to anything else that could potentially detract from that? Unless I'm missing something, I believe they are a D&BC first! If they slip up this season, EVERYONE is gonna "armchair quarterback" them to death on this one. I hope they know what they're doing.

And any comparison to BD on this is premature. How many championships does BD have? I rest my case.

Every corps plays extra music that isn't in their show. My corps has about 10 extra peices outside of our show music for encores and the like. Nobody spends ALL of their time on the show until move in anyway. And really, the more you get your corps marching and playing before all days, the better you will be prepared. I don't think it's a bad idea competitively, even if they're playing completely different music.

More importantly, This kind of thing is probably great for recruiting.

I'm with you on this one bro. Last season we heard a lot of rude comments from Academy when they came in 13th on quarterfinals night. It seems to me that some of the members acted like they WERE the Blue Devils. It seems like that was the general attitude of the corps. However, I think that this will be a high quality, entertaining show and I WILL want to see the DVD.

-Weedy

Every corps plays extra music that isn't in their show. My corps has about 10 extra peices outside of our show music for encores and the like. Nobody spends ALL of their time on the show until move in anyway. And really, the more you get your corps marching and playing before all days, the better you will be prepared. I don't think it's a bad idea competitively, even if they're playing completely different music.

More importantly, This kind of thing is probably great for recruiting.

Yep, this ain't my first time around the ol' block. We're not talking about the standard fare of concert tunes. We're talking about something that, I'm sure, they are going to devote a LOT of time and attention to that is a entire production in addition to their field show. For a corps that probably wants to be more than an "occasional" finalist, this could set them back a couple of years or more.

I could be wrong, but I think it's an unnecessary risk.