Fan Friendly shows of 2007

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare any of us place the Madison Scouts 2007 show in a list of fan friendly.

It's clear to me now that we all know nothing about drum corps and can only follow what Glory has thought out for us.

That would be nice, but it's really not necessary. What I'd rather everyone do is to conduct discussions like intelligent adults, accept that different opinions are possible and desirable (even where Madison is concerned). Then, if there’s any bandwidth left, I’d like a stated consensus on DCP that amplified voice actually enhanced the Crown and Bluecoats shows. In fact, we might even go so far as to say nearly half (and by some measures more) of the most fan friendly shows last year used amplified voice.

But that’s probably asking too much - at least in this thread. So I’ll settle instead for having all the best-looking ladies sitting around me at DCI in August.

HH

Granted our criteria might be different. But rather than define fans as those who know nothing about drum corps, I'd define "fan" as someone who knows something about drum corps even if not an expert.

HH

Then you've answered your own question as to Madison's frequent appearance in this poll: A great number of people who know at least something about drum corps (most knowing a lot more than the average joe in the stands) think it's fan friendly enough to put in their personal top 5 lists. Seems to me Madison appealed to a pretty wide base of "fans."

I’d like a stated consensus on DCP that amplified voice actually enhanced the Crown and Bluecoats shows. In fact, we might even go so far as to say nearly half (and by some measures more) of the most fan friendly shows last year used amplified voice.

But that’s probably asking too much - at least in this thread.

HH

Well, that was a swerve that wasn't entirely unexpected. But, I'll bite . . .

That's definitely asking too much. Even now, the "stop, drop your weapons" and "here they come, 'round the bend" are something that I force myself to sit through in order to listen the rest of the show.

I will say that the only corps that used voice amplification in a way I've liked. . .ever . . . was 2007 BD's "evil laugh". No ham fisted attempts to try to paint a picture of "choice" (see Hop's recent blog for more on that), no "Aqua", no "525,600 Minutes", no "Yowza!". In short, no overkill.

Just a afterthought during what would have been another "Oh, great, space chords again" moment that actually, IMO, worked as an effect.

Back on topic . . .so more people here liked Madison than you saw/talked to personally; neither viewpoint (yours or ours) is entirely correct, so let's just leave it in the realm of personal preference.

At the shows I attended last year, Madison was accepted by far the most warmly. Multiple standing ovations throughout the show. At Drums Along the Waterfront Madison played the encore and there was a standing O' for the drum major as he made his way to conduct form the stands, which I have never seen before! But I suppose all of the outpouring from thousands of fans doesn't quite make the list of some people as fan friendly.

For me.

SCV

Phantom

Crown

Madison

Troopers

HM to Cavlies and Glassmen who both had great guards that helped sell the show.

I liked Crown's ending early in the season when there was a silent grand pause. It created much more musical and emotional tention then later in the season when they added the cheesy narration. But it wasn't enough to ruin an otherwise very good show.

My newbie freinds I took to Annopolis liked Cavies and Crown.

While I enjoy more advanced arrangements of musical selections (arrangements where the original melody has been improvised upon so well that the listener only subconsciously "gets it"), new listeners to the activity lack the music theory acumen to understand this type of composition. I am not suggesting one is good or bad, simply making a statement. I thoroughly enjoy clever arranging and feel that if I wanted to hear a "lifted" or "note-per-note" arrangement of, lets say "Birdland," I would simply attend the local marching band festival, where countless scores of young band directors have tried their hand at arranging common tunes for a marching ensemble.

For an arranger, there is nothing wrong with taking a popular melody and adding his/her personal touch to it. Music History is replete with popular composers taking the work of others and arranging it (Mozart did this all the time, for an example). This is also another reason that jazz became such a popular idiom for composers the world 'round. The very nature of jazz encourages the performer/arranger to create their version of the selection. Where Jung fits into this, I am not sure, but the fact is this: arrangements allow for a cross-sectional perspective of the arranger and the staff whose thoughts went into the arrangement. A simple "note-per-note" arrangement while entertaining to many, shows more about the creativity of the arranger and staff than it does the actual ability of the ensemble performing it. That my friends is why Carolina's hornline finishes where they finish on the score card. I am not being hateful here, just pointing things out. This is also why fans of their show (which was wonderful) commonly ask "why didn't they score higher?"

Does my enjoyment of more advanced arrangements make me a nerd? You bet. Do corps that have more advanced arrangements tend to score higher in Music caption areas? You bet. This is a difficult concept for a person without a marked pedagogical understanding of advanced composition to understand. A common fan like this will usually ask "Why didn't corps Z score higher than corps Y? I could actually recognize their selections." This is the crux of the issue: purists vs. progressives.

Elmo Blatch

Back on topic . . .so more people here liked Madison than you saw/talked to personally; neither viewpoint (yours or ours) is entirely correct, so let's just leave it in the realm of personal preference.

No. Actually all the viewpoints are entirely correct because it’s all personal preference. I’m sure that’s what you meant.

I’m having a harder time with “just leave it …” Why just leave it?

What's wrong with asking folks to explain why they think Madison 2007 is one of the most fan friendly shows? Yes, I'm asking because my point of view is substantially different. Personal preference doesn’t preclude us having an interesting discussion where we state and compare our views. That's what these boards are for – even for sacred cows like Madison.

HH